Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So this year on the 11/11/14

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    12:21 PM

So this year on the 11/11/14

The world ......(please choose according to which media outlet/channel/broadcaster/company you listen to)

will be commemorating/celebrating/remembering.......the 100th anniversary of WW1.

How much has your country spent on your local anniversary so far?

If our latest ANZAC day is anything to go by, it will be heaps.

So for the obligatory roll call, who's great grandfather (that you never knew and your parents hardly knew) served in WW1?
    For me I'll be thinking of G-Grandfather Sutton (I'll put a pic up soon) Served at Gallipoli and later died of Gas poisoning.
    Great grandfather Hill served with the british navy (Australia didn't technically have a navy at that time) (Pic soon)
    That's two of many in the family which was the norm. We had a small population at that time and we lost around a third of it.

Please contribute to this thread. And if you have them, put pics up of your ancestors who served in WW1

Lets make this a Forum garden roll of Honour. By November we'll have something to look upon.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Re: So this year on the 11/11/14

Yes Yes I know we've all seen the footage but then we have to put on top of that the decease outbreaks afterwards, which killed many many more once these soldiers took them home. Famine, as well remember. Spanish flu, diptheria....etc. All down to what happened at that time .

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

And for those who'd never seen a big explosion or what they did to the body suddenly the world had a new illness that nobody had ever seen before.

Shell shock

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

And then we have the Spanish Flu of 1918 (which isn't Spanish at all of course) which we are all carriers of.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/pdfs/05-0979.pdf

Oh yeah there is more to this WW1 than meets the eye, and we are all descendents of it.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    07:21 PM

The War to end all wars.
    My grandfather, Laurence joined the Eight Army Royal Engineers in 1914 and spent the duration of the war with them.
    He used to tell tales of his time there, and of his adventures in France after it was over.
    I am named after Mother's Uncle who survived the entire war, only to fall to the Flu on the troop transport bringing him home.
    Two more of my great Uncles went to France with Pershing and the AEF, one now rest at the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery the other left an arm in bois d'Argonne.
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    02:21 AM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    And for those who'd never seen a big explosion or what they did to the body suddenly the world had a new illness that nobody had ever seen before.

Shell shock

Sadly I don't need to look in history books to see that particular effect of war. I've met a couple of soldiers who have been in afghanistan and have a close relatuive that was in the royal marines that are clearly traumatized by what they have been though perhaps not to the same extent as these guys.

Don't know about australia but here the government seems to be trying to re-write history - that ww1 was actually some great noble endeavor that had to be fought and the deaths were necessary.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Ahhh the beauty of the 75 year secret classification......we can see for ourselves now I guess. And your friends will suffer on because we aint gunna know **** about it for another 25 to 75 years.

I would very much like to focus on WW1 though ...considering it will be a big event (if our politicians have anything to do with it )

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

My great uncle died in WW1. My great grandmother, Eliza, had 3 daughters and then a son. She was, shortly after his birth, committed to an asylum. I found her in the asylum records, she was described as an "imbecile" although nowadays she would probably have had a diagnosis of severe post natal depression.

The one blessing, if there is one, is that she wouldn't have been aware that her son had died at a young age.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

July Ist 1916, Tony Martin a British Army Medic aged 29 was shot In the head and killed by The British Army for attending a wounded German on The Somme
    1916 James Byrne died after being hit by a shell aged 29 years on The Somme
    The former my husbands Grandfather, the latter, my Grandfather.

How strange their Grandchildren would one day meet and marry ?

Yes, we have lots of pics to share...will try to get time to post some here.

Great thread actually Fuzzy.

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    The War to end all wars.
    My grandfather, Laurence joined the Eight Army Royal Engineers in 1914 and spent the duration of the war with them.
    He used to tell tales of his time there, and of his adventures in France after it was over.
    I am named after Mother's Uncle who survived the entire war, only to fall to the Flu on the troop transport bringing him home.
    Two more of my great Uncles went to France with Pershing and the AEF, one now rest at the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery the other left an arm in bois d'Argonne.
    Have you ever been to the cemetery Lars ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast