Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Professor Colin Pillinger, RIP

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    01:35 PM

Professor Colin Pillinger, RIP

I'm saddened to note the passing of the latest in a line of British scientists who have, over the years, enthused and thereby educated the nation. Professor Colin Pillinger was the driving force behind the Martian Beagle soft-lander which didn't, and the news coverage of him witnessing the slow disintegration of years of teamwork was harrowing.

Behind him stretch out a line of mass-media public educators from a scientific background such as Eric Laithwaite the Maglev engineer at Imperial College, Fred Hoyle the Cambridge cosmologist, Carl Sagan at Cornell and Richard Feynman at Caltech. They all brightened the world. Now we have that cheery chap whose name escapes me. I'm glad they all made the effort.
    Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Administrator
    Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Re: Professor Colin Pillinger, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    Professor Colin Pillinger was the driving force behind the Martian Beagle soft-lander which didn't
    I beg leave to apologize to the Beagle team. Beagle has been found, soft-landed and part-deployed, so much closer to total success than anyone at the time assumed. It needed to fully unfold to be able to communicate, and the photos show the unfurling process didn't reach completion. The parachute appears to have worked, the airbag appears to have worked, Beagle itself isn't spread over miles of terrain, it's sat where it was aimed and it's intact. What a heartening conclusion.

BBC News - Lost Beagle2 probe found 'intact' on Mars

|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    06:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by FG View Post
    I beg leave to apologize to the Beagle team. Beagle has been found, soft-landed and part-deployed, so much closer to total success than anyone at the time assumed. It needed to fully unfold to be able to communicate, and the photos show the unfurling process didn't reach completion. The parachute appears to have worked, the airbag appears to have worked, Beagle itself isn't spread over miles of terrain, it's sat where it was aimed and it's intact. What a heartening conclusion.

BBC News - Lost Beagle2 probe found 'intact' on Mars
    Well, it was great to find the Beagle and know that it almost completed its mission.
    But then, I guess it doesn't really count as a success until you can make it back home.
    Kind of like Mallory and Irvine. It is now believed that they reached the summit in '24, but unlike Hillary and Tenzig, They did not make it back to brag about it.

"that Cheery Chap" ? Are you referring to your Dr Dawkins?

I know the world could use more guys like Feynman, and Sagan.
    Our Dr Tyson is fun, but he tends to take himself a bit too seriously, now and again.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Administrator
    Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    "that Cheery Chap" ? Are you referring to your Dr Dawkins?
    We have an authentic scientist whose brief is to raise the profile of the sciences in the public mind. He started life as a physicist, he's Brian Cox and he's not the same Brian Cox who was in Deadwood playing the Irish Actor-Manager. Both Coxes are essential elements of British Culture.

|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

The European successor to Beagle, Schiaparelli, has detached for landing on Wednesday in preparation for the ExoMars Rover four years from now.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e-towards-mars
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

It looks awfully like they lost it, too. It will need a photo to be sure, but the lander only has at most a week's power before it goes cold.

At least Beagle came down in one piece. Schiaparelli seems to have landed rather less gracefully.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...te-of-descent/

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...g-esa-confirms

"We are not in a position yet to determine the dynamic conditions in which the lander touched the ground" - great euphemism, I hope I never have occasion to use it.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

The autopsy on Schiaparelli has found that the lander thought it had landed, released the parachute and blipped its engine before powering off at an altitude of two miles.

One bit of the control program thought a register's range was always positive and another bit of the control program thought the register's range could be negative as well as positive, and when the actual content went high during a turbulent patch the "landed" condition was wrongly set.

That's even more classic an error than part-loading a metric table with imperial values. Both are lethal to Mars landers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11...investigation/

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The autopsy on Schiaparelli has found that the lander thought it had landed, released the parachute and blipped its engine before powering off at an altitude of two miles.

One bit of the control program thought a register's range was always positive and another bit of the control program thought the register's range could be negative as well as positive, and when the actual content went high during a turbulent patch the "landed" condition was wrongly set.

That's even more classic an error than part-loading a metric table with imperial values. Both are lethal to Mars landers.

'Data saturation' helped to crash the Schiaparelli Mars probe • The Register
    Well I suppose that's what testing is for but it's a shame that the simulators didn't find it first.

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    The comparison with Douglas Adams' whale is exact.

+ Reply to Thread