+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rising sea levels

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:34 PM

Re: Rising sea levels

Plan number two....... is this just another thing we will have to be eternally grateful to the Americans for?

Will all the work be done by the US?
    Because any out sourced components might not fit, they have their own archaic measuring system.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:34 AM

Oh, the politics in filling the Great Basin! Let's see... Native American lands and treaties, sacred sites, mining operations, drilling operations, agricultural land, national monuments and preserves, state forests and preserves, indigenous species, rail lines, and large groups of Mormons. I'm sure that they would all understand the importance of the project. The environmental study should only take a decade or two. It would be interesting to watch the fireworks.

As LarsMac mentioned, the area is seismically active, which could produce some challenges.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

See Tyr (With an accent) they have started whinging already.....not in our backyard.

Closed
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    See Tyr (With an accent) they have started whinging already.....not in our backyard.
    He did leave out the bit about "how many times will those governments change" though. One, presumably, being so much like another that it makes little odds.

He didn't say "oh it'll salinate the aquifers" - I was waiting to mention the plastic tarpaulin liner on the reservoir bottom but I was deprived of the chance.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Back to plan A then, those Ay-rabs are so much easier to deal with.

Closed
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

And besides, the Americans as a whole really really wouldn't have tolerated the entirety of the Palestinian nation taking up residence in their reservoir wall either.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:34 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    He did leave out the bit about "how many times will those governments change" though. One, presumably, being so much like another that it makes little odds.

He didn't mention "oh it'll salinate the aquifers" - I was waiting to mention the plastic tarpaulin liner on the reservoir bottom but I was deprived of the chance.
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if the aquifer was suddenly under the additional pressure from all that water. As a little side note, back when Silicon Valley was all orchards they watered using artesian wells. They pumped so much water from those wells that the ground fell - up to 8 feet in some places. Now they are trying to refill the aquifer using percolation ponds to stabilize the land. I don't know of any study that would indicate what would happen if the aquifers were filled under pressure. Natural fracking?

Closed
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    It would certainly get very wet down there. If the plastic tarpaulin liner on the reservoir bottom was a permeable osmotic membrane then the entire aquifer would fill with desalinated clean water under about 20 atmospheres pressure and you can bet it would move out sideways a long way. You'd get natural springs for hundreds of miles beyond the reservoir boundary. Would it fracture oil-bearing rocks? I'm not sure it would, I think you need dynamite to have that effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3