Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Matthew 12:40

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    04:45 AM

Re: Matthew 12:40

Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
    But maybe someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.
    In my view the " Heart of the earth " expression can mean the inner part of the ground or grave, just as we view our heart being inside the inner most part of our chest. . So it just means the grave and a tomb is a grave. So a body can be in a tomb above the ground but still be considered buried in a grave. Also it can be interpreted as meaning Jesus can get inside of the human consciousness and search the heart. Or that he can visit the world of the dead and raise them back to life.

As far as how the 3 days are figured, that is illrelevant to me how it is factored in different minds of study.

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    06:45 AM

Mickiel,
    re: "In my view the 'Heart of the earth' expression can mean the inner part of the ground or grave..."

And that is to whom this topic is directed, i.e., someone who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the grave/tomb.

re: "As far as how the 3 days are figured, that is illrelevant to me how it is factored in different minds of study."

That would be an issue for a different topic.

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    05:45 AM

Apparently, not many people find it to be in need of resolution.

Though I find it interesting the use of the phrase "three days and three nights" while in the society to which he is speaking, a day is from sundown to sundown, therefore a night and a day.

so he was only by the most twisted logic even remotely there for three days at all.
    If they got him prepared and in the tomb before sundown then there is the briefest of a day Friday (and no night), then the full night and day of Saturday, and the night of Sunday, then by Dawn he was out. So, at most 36 hours. two nights and a day.

One can only presume that the author of Matthew made the whole thing up, long after the fact. Or they meant something else entirely by that passage, and it had nothing to do with being "in the tomb"

Another thought - Since indications are that Matthew was actually written long after, probably a century or more after the events. it was intended for an audience for whom the day and night no longer were considered in the same fashion as it was by the Hebrews.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Hi all. Spen a lot of time in the hospital with an infection (not coved 19). Back soon.

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

any thetime of Jesus Friday was the sabbath. so Saturday was equal to our Sunday so Jesus was entombed Thus night #fitst night. Saturday was the second night. Due to the way the ancient calendar was used the third night was Sunday the next night was the third because the Third day did not end until early Monday morning

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    12:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Hi all. Spen a lot of time in the hospital with an infection (not coved 19). Back soon.
    I hope you get back to health soon Ted, it's good to hear from you.
    Nullius in verba ☎|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Ted,
    re: "any thetime of Jesus Friday was the sabbath. so Saturday was equal to our Sunday so Jesus was entombed Thus night #fitst night. Saturday was the second night. Due to the way the ancient calendar was used the third night was Sunday the next night was the third because the Third day did not end until early Monday morning "

That would be an issue for a different topic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11