04:27 AM

Re: Fuel from Sea water?

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    You rather make my point - no more than a dozen deaths have been attributed to the entire list. I would concede thousands, if you like, of unattributable but statistically likely subsequent premature deaths from cancer, but at the same time I'd say it was an insignificant trivially small number given the worldwide scale and the half century the list covers.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    You rather make my point - no more than a dozen deaths have been attributed to the entire list. I would concede thousands, if you like, of unattributable but statistically likely subsequent premature deaths from cancer, but at the same time I'd say it was an insignificant trivially small number given the worldwide scale and the half century the list covers.
    In the same way as Gulf War Syndrome cannot be attributable to causing any death or crippling disabilities because the official line is that it doesn't exist.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

In the same way as Gulf War Syndrome cannot be attributable to causing any death or crippling disabilities because the official line is that it doesn't exist.
    How "in the same way"? Unattributable but statistically likely subsequent premature deaths from cancer is a recognized consequence of radiation. Most premature death from cancer caused by radiation is from natural sources, a minor fraction is from man-made radiation deliberately deployed in hospitals, a smaller fraction still results from spills of the sort you listed. All I mean by unattributable is that you can practically never point at one named death and say it was caused by a specific event, though you can definitely know such deaths occur.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Ah - so all the massive rise in cancers, miscarriages, deformations, etc., surrounding nuclear meltdown sites are purely down to natural background radiation. I see.
    That would explain why they build the stations on those sites - because they're already radio active & therefore not likely to do any more harm. Makes sense.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Ah - so all the massive rise in cancers, miscarriages, deformations, etc., surrounding nuclear meltdown sites are purely down to natural background radiation. I see.
    That would explain why they build the stations on those sites - because they're already radio active & therefore not likely to do any more harm. Makes sense.
    If you count the number rather than use a flippant word like "massive", it's a totally trivial number compared to most bad things. And it's a result of the meltdown, not of background radiation. One bad thing it's trivial compared to, for example, is the rise in cancers, miscarriages, deformations, etc., in Iraq surrounding the use of depleted uranium munitions by Western forces during the Gulf War, if you want a specific instance of what not to do with a dense radioactive metal. Spreading it as dust in the open air is singularly antisocial, it should be a crime.

Let's pick a number out of the air, since we need a figure - by all means go and find a published one if you think that will help, but I bet you find it's lower than mine. Let's say the rise in cancers, miscarriages, deformations, etc., surrounding Chernobyl, or Nagasaki, or Hiroshima, accumulated over the decades, is of the order of a hundred thousand people each. They were similar events, if you ignore the deliberate detonation effects. If a Chernobyl-style explosion happened annually it would add, for the sake of a number, another hundred thousand rise annually in cancers, miscarriages and deformations to the price of using nuclear power as a worldwide energy source. That number, worldwide and averaged over decades, is a drop in the ocean, it is so trivially small a number that it disappears from view when compared to any really bad thing. Malaria, TB, smog, water pollution, they're the enemies when you count dead or damaged bodies. And flies.

If expanding the nuclear industry sufficiently to reduce atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations results in one additional Chernobyl event annually - which is actually a wild exaggeration compared with the real world - then the cost is countable. If runaway global warming triggered by fossil fuel consumption happens, the potential cost is game over for life on Earth. The former we can live with, the latter we quite evidently can't. Runaway global warming triggered by fossil fuel consumption is, I would maintain, a possibility, and one which has to be avoided regardless of cost.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Until we have fusion that's our best hope
    Oh - I say - what!

Lockheed Martin's truck-sized FUSION reactor breakthrough boast

Cor blimey guv strike a light.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Oh - I say - what!

Lockheed Martin's truck-sized FUSION reactor breakthrough boast

Cor blimey guv strike a light.
    I'd love to see it work but I'll not be holding my breath

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Nuclear reactors in the hands of everyday terrorists?

Smash ups including Nuclear Engines on the Motorway?

No Thanks!!

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Nuclear reactors in the hands of everyday terrorists?

Smash ups including Nuclear Engines on the Motorway?

No Thanks!!
    The thing about a fusion reactor is it has no radioactive components at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3