Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Pop-Ups

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    03:12 PM

Re: Bloody Pop-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Revo is recommended by one of the advice pages I've been reading, and I'm beginning to warm up to it.
    I've used Revo Uninstaller. It removes all trace of the programme, far deeper than the one in your control panel will. I also use CCleaner to clean up occasionally. It's suprising the amount of temp files that clog the system.

AVG free has kept watch over my well used laptop very well for the last 2 years, along with regular scans with SuperAntiSpyware, which also has a free version.

I had Norton some years back and that was as virulent as the crap is was supposed to protect me from...and (then) very difficult to uninstall.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    08:12 AM

I would like Revo much better if I can buy a copy and install it on a bootable USB stick or something, so I can make it part of a clean-up process for infected system.
    They seem to sell it to install permanently on licensed systems. I don't see having a regular use for it on a single PC.

I may give that a try, and see how it works.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Well, that bloody tears it. I was just making a reply to the "What would you like to see" thread. All done, just having a read before clicking the send button. Suddenly up pops an advert .... not above or behind my FG contribution mind, but REPLACING it! My work was gone. I was just about to put my fist through the computer screen when my wife suggested I push the "return" arrow, up in the left-hand corner. Thank God for that!

OK. Revo, you say?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Problem might be that the Revo is an uninstaller and as I've already quarantined those 3 PUPs with my McAfee there are now no offensive bugs visible to "uninstall". Should I find a way to release the PUP's and allow the Revo to identify them and uninstall them you think?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

I am going to open up one of my PCs and then try this guy out:

Remove Pop-up Ads from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Unhappy Re: Bloody Pop-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have, however, already installed the Revo, tossed Google Chrome out and installed Mozzila Fire Fox. I've now run the Revo to remove Google Chrome (only, so far) and the odd thing is that while running the games here on FG I got "reset to game start" a number of times and got a notice from Mozilla that there is some problem and that I ought to shut off whatever program it is that I'm using.

I'm trying to discern whether the problem is only while on FG or during Internet usage in general. I'm stymied. Am I the only member with a complaint?

Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have, however, already installed the Revo, tossed Google Chrome out and installed Mozzila Fire Fox. I've now run the Revo to remove Google Chrome (only, so far) and the odd thing is that while running the games here on FG I got "reset to game start" a number of times and got a notice from Mozilla that there is some problem and that I ought to shut off whatever program it is that I'm using.

I'm trying to discern whether the problem is only while on FG or during Internet usage in general. I'm stymied. Am I the only member with a complaint?
    I am fairly certain that you problem was not with Chrome.

I would suggest you look at that third link I sent.
    It has some good malware and adware removal tools, most of them are free.
    I just took a PC my grandkid had been using, and found a number of adware, and junkware issues on it, ran the Junk Removal tool, which cleaned it up rather nicely.

REVO is a decent tool for removing installed programs, but it does not know anything about malware.
    Bit defender is a good virus and malware detector, but I have not tested its removal abilities.

You may want to spend the money to install Malwarebyte premium edition.
    It is quite effective.

And I have never had any problem with FG. (I don't play much on the game arcade, though, and have adblock installed on my Chrome, so I don't expect to see what you describe.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast