+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: minimum wage

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    02:21 AM

minimum wage

There was a time in life when I saw a purpose for a minimum wage and that was a long time ago. Beyond the fact it was the law and not an issue to me, did n’t care. I cleaned the kitchen, washed the dishes, bused the tables of a convalescent hospital. A buddy worked at McDonalds. Had other friends,High School students, earning a little cash.

Who knew such menial jobs would be a career path?

Meanwhile,

Obama to sign executive order raising minimum wage for federal contractors

Take from the taxpayer, buy a vote.

What really got me was this cartoon,

“Let’s declare that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty and raise the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour,” the president said to applause in his 2013 address.

The new executive order affects only future contracts, not existing ones, and would only apply to contract renewals if other terms of the agreement changed. As a result, the order would benefit far fewer workers than the number foreseen by advocates of federal contract employees.
    executive order

It was a few years ago driving over the road stopped at a Dillons grocery store.

I was in a hurry, gotta get going. Loaded my cart went to pay.

OK, it was like 3 am in a store open 24 hours. I went the the checkout only to find I am suppose to check my stuff myself!!!?

OK so I proceed and have problems. Look around for help and saw a group whom I assumed to be employees standing around shooting the breeze.

I call over, NOTHING

Now I am P.O.d

Hollered, can I get some HELP HERE ?!!?

So some snarky gal saunters over to show me how to do it.

Whatever.

Anyway, these self serve things seems all the rage.

The last few times I was at HOME DEPOT they are all self serve. It is my habit to screw up the system, they need to send somebody to clear it up.

So,

What is the future of burger flippers?

It would be negligence for me not mention that the local Walmart has self service lanes.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Banned
    Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    07:21 AM

Re: minimum wage

There are many arguments In the UK also to the Minimum wage.... all depends who you vote for.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Farage View Post
    There are many arguments In the UK also to the Minimum wage.... all depends who you vote for.
    To me, there is only one argument.

Am I at liberty to negotiate a labor contract without the interference of the gubernment?
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    11:21 PM

Tude

exactly - who knew a fast food server would be a career.

by demanding the minimum wage hike their education is limited - that is their goal - their career.
    that's very sad

Patsy

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

When you hear politicians hollering about the minimum wage, look around, because they're trying to distract you from something important.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:21 AM

There are not enough good paying jobs in the U.S. Besides, it's not a wage problem, it's a Cost Problem, it's a Price of Goods Problem. If wages go up, so will the cost of all we buy, including where we live. Wages aren't keeping up with the Cost. If the Cost of Goods were lower, we would be fine.

Also, I don't think any job is undignified or sad. People, not so long ago, could be high-school drop-outs & still earn a living wage. Now many Baristas are College Grads.

We have only a few factory jobs, it's been shipped overseas. Even customer service call centers are shipped overseas.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    When you hear politicians hollering about the minimum wage, look around, because they're trying to distract you from something important.
    Many things politicians holler about are diversions that aim to keep a status quo on some issue.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

TD: "There was a time in life when I saw a purpose for a minimum wage and that was a long time ago. Beyond the fact it was the law and not an issue to me, did n’t care. I cleaned the kitchen, washed the dishes, bused the tables of a convalescent hospital. A buddy worked at McDonalds. Had other friends,High School students, earning a little cash.
    Who knew such menial jobs would be a career path?"

Driving a truck isn't menial to someone? I say there are no menial jobs. All jobs that fulfill a need in society are worthwhile & deserving of respect. The maintenance people where I live, there are 2 whose basic job is to clean, not fix. Is that menial? No, it is useful for all the people here. They do the schitt, literally. That is worthy & deserves a living wage, not to barely scrape by.

eta--So, when You Saw a Purpose, it was OK, but now that you don't, it's not. The only complaint I have about raising the minimum wage is that it will be the excuse to raise prices & profits and the rest of us are back to square one.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

TD: "It would be negligence for me not mention that the local Walmart has self service lanes."

That's because these stores, banks, etc. do not want to pay a human being a salary, any salary at all. i.e. Being a bank teller used to be a damn good job. ATM machines have replaced them, which I can understand for many transactions, but some banks are actually asking a service charge to use the teller.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    05:21 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    The minimum base wage (CPI index) stopped during Reagans' reign and never caught up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast