+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: minimum wage

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    10:45 AM

Re: minimum wage

It's not the amount of money, it's the buying power of the money & since the '80's prices have soared while salaries remain flat.

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    07:45 AM

YZGI

to compensate you'd have to raise your prices and perhaps have fewer workers, which would lead to possible overtime for the workers to bridge that gap of fewer workers.

Are you living in a "Right to Work State" by any chance?

Patsy

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-26-2020
    Local Time
    01:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    YZGI

to compensate you'd have to raise your prices and perhaps have fewer workers, which would lead to possible overtime for the workers to bridge that gap of fewer workers.

Are you living in a "Right to Work State" by any chance?

Patsy
    Every single time there is talk of a wag rise, big business says exactly that same line. "to raise your prices and perhaps have fewer workers" and it never ever happens. Truth is, more money is put back into the economy because of more disposable income, people buy more houses, more cars, more Tv's etc etc.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-26-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    Seattle Washington Council has passed $ 15.00 @ hour minimum wage.

Others to follow.

Patsy
    that is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    To large or small businesses, more paid out in wages equals either less in profit or higher prices. Less profit in larger corporations will not be acceptable, so prices will be jacked to counter. Even us small companies will have to raise prices if we're forced to increase payroll. So then the "higher" paid minimum wage worker may end up with the same buying power they had before the wage hike. I know if I have to raise all of my workers (including entry level positions) pay I will HAVE to raise my prices just to stay in business and keep my head above water.

If they raise minimum wages to lets say $10.00 an hour, I will have to also raise my experienced workers who are making $20.00 an hour to $23-$25 an hour so that they are the level above entry level workers that they should be. How do I compensate for that? I raise prices. I have to if I want to make a profit or I go out of business.
    It's a level playing field though is it not? If you have to raise prices beause of wage rises so does everybody else.

It's not just wages that affect profit though is it. Governments might think they can control inflation (I wonlt go I to that daft monetarist theory that you control infkation by controlling the mioney supply) they can't control commodity prices on the international market and we're looking at ever higher price for metals, foodstuffs and the like and that's omly evr going to go up. They let commodity brokers inflate and deflate prices at will to suit them instead of taking action against those that rig the market. It's lack o regulation and te insane dea that you could trust the banks that almost wrecked the world economy - wasn't just america tht de-regulated we did it as well. Free market economy, good for business is seen by many as an excuse an excuse to rip everybody off. Employers bleating about higher wages affecting their profits (not you this comment is not aimed at you) seem to forget whose labour generates the wealth for them. All most people want is a fair exchange for their labour.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-26-2020
    Local Time

Retailers warn of job cuts after Fair Work Commission lifts minimum wage by $18.70 per week - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Retailers have warned that staff will have to be sacked in the wake of a decision to raise the minimum wage by $18.70 a week.

Unions, however, say the increase of 3 per cent from July 1 - a rise to $640.90 per week - will not be enough to help workers cope with extra costs stemming from the federal budget.

The decision by the nation's industrial umpire, the Fair Work Commission (FWC), will directly affect around 1.5 million Australians on award wages.

FWC president Justice Iain Ross said there had recently been almost no growth in the real value of award wages while other employees had enjoyed substantial pay increases.

"The deterioration in the relative living standards of award-reliant workers, the needs of the low-paid, the recent widespread improvement in labor productivity growth, the historically low levels of real unit labor costs, and the absence, in aggregate, of cost pressures from the labour market, are all factors favouring a real increase in minimum wages," he said.

One moderating factor was the 0.25 per cent increase to the superannuation rate to apply from July 1.
    Recently there's been a lot of talk about robotic work sites because people are just too expensive to pay................Gee I wonder who would be putting that kind of talk about the place?

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Robotic workers are all ready replacing humans. When you order that burger at a Fast Food Co. robots will be assembling it.

Robots have replaced workers in most factory's - car industry

Didn't Pres. Obama already try to put money back into the economy and bail out factory's - to create jobs - better paying jobs?

As far as Seattle raising the minimum wage - they're already at $10.00 @ hour

Seattle is a expensive area to live. Beautiful area.

$ 15.00 @ hour and most can't count change back - could be robots already.

Patsy

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

The average wage at McDonalds is $7.73/hour.
    The CEO's salary at McDonalds works out to be $9,247/hour (1,196 times the average worker wage.

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    04:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    The average wage at McDonalds is $7.73/hour.
    The CEO's salary at McDonalds works out to be $9,247/hour (1,196 times the average worker wage.
    What was the difference in the 50's?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    What was the difference in the 50's?
    McDonalds was around in the '50s?

+ Reply to Thread