+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The American Pledge of Allegiance

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 PM

The American Pledge of Allegiance

I don't wish to get into a religious debate about this but when I was a school boy the pledge was as follows. I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation INDIVISABLE with liberty and justice for all.The INDIVISABLE was dropped in 1954 and ONE NATION UNDER GOD was substituted. In view of my countrys Civil War of the 1860's and current political divisions and upheaval it seems more important to me that one nation indivisable is more important than one nation under god.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    07:43 PM

Re: The American Pledge of Allegiance

I would tend to agree.
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 PM

The country during the Civil War was divided as we all know. There was not a feeling of cohesiveness or unity of spirit. We as a country in WW 2 were united in spirit and purpose and their was no division. Then the Viet Nam era with more division of spirit and lack of unity and here we are today with more separation of interests and agendas. For a country to truly be great it must be in my opinion have a citizenry that is united in thought and purpose, truly indivisible.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    08:43 PM

I remember something different from

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I don't wish to get into a religious debate about this but when I was a school boy the pledge was as follows. I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation INDIVISABLE with liberty and justice for all.The INDIVISABLE was dropped in 1954 and ONE NATION UNDER GOD was substituted. In view of my countrys Civil War of the 1860's and current political divisions and upheaval it seems more important to me that one nation indivisable is more important than one nation under god.
    What I remember is, and to this day

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    This is a really interesting site, The Pledge of Allegiance

One thing that is missing is that in my parents grew up, as they spoke the pledge, hand over heart, would remove the hand, estend palm upturned as to salute the flag.

Well, come the NAZI's, WW2 and it was just decided to leave the hand over the heart.
    Last edited by tude dog; 06-13-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: can't post
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    02:43 AM

We don't have anything like that in the U.K., which seems a pity in a way, as I have always been a true Patriot & proud of my country. However, you can't instil true pride in anyone by forcing the to recite something, whether they believe in it or not.

What makes things even worse here, though is how "P.C. Gone Mad" has taken it to the point that the Union Flag can't be flown in such establishments for fear of being accused of being 'Racist' (seriously - it sounds like a joke, but it's true).

Banned
    Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    04:43 AM

That is part of the problem with Believers/Christians. The just automatically assume that everyone they come in contact with is of a like mind.

My partner is an atheist like me and yet she wears a gold crucifix on a chain around her neck. When she is asked about her belief she goes: "I'm an atheist." This freaks some people out and they go: "If you're an atheist, why do you wear a crucifix?" And she goes: "You wear a wristwatch ... are you a watchmaker?"

I collect rosaries and have several. Why? Because I find them pretty.

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    03:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jones jones View Post
    .... "If you're an atheist, why do you wear a crucifix?" And she goes: "You wear a wristwatch ... are you a watchmaker?"

Oh Jesus! (pardon me) I love it!

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time

Well, to be honest saying "G_d bless America" disgusts me but it actually isn't necessarily a religious thing. I sometimes say "If G_d wanted .... he would have ....." It's more of a philosophical thing, as I see it. Nothing wrong in it. But the "indivisible" clause is a corker.

We have a special relationship within the Nordic States that afford us many favours across our borders. Norway is fine with that but felt it was better off out of the EU. So they quit it. The American 'indivisible' thingy would (I suppose) make it illegal for Hawaii (for example) to drop out. I realize it's not quite the same thing as voluntary membership in the EU or NATO, but American indivisable clause reminds me of the USSR.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    08:43 PM

The INDIVISABLE was dropped in 1954 and ONE NATION UNDER GOD was substituted.
    You are incorrect. The "UNDER GOD" was added after "ONE NATION" and BEFORE, not in place of, "INDIVISIBLE" as a result of the so-called "RED SCARE" of the early 1950's.

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aspam View Post
    You are incorrect. The "UNDER GOD" was added after "ONE NATION" and BEFORE, not in place of, "INDIVISIBLE" as a result of the so-called "RED SCARE" of the early 1950's.
    Joe McCarthy? How did they justify the change of wording?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast