Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    12:40 PM

Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

My disgust knows no bounds.

Geneva (AFP) - "Jihadists in Iraq have ordered that all women between the ages of 11 and 46 must undergo female genital mutilation, which could affect up to four million women and girls in the war-ravaged country, a UN official said Thursday."

To read more, if your digestive tract can stand it, go to:
    Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:40 PM

Re: Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

It never fails to baffle me how in this day & age of Technology, Science & Education that there are still those who can yield to the barbarities of ignorant & superstitious Religious Sacrifice.

What is more disgusting is that the parents & families of these Girls / Women are content to stand by & be told that this is what they must do, bowing to the command of some self-proclaimed Religious Dictator rather than taking matters into their own hands & thinking for themselves.

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    It never fails to baffle me how in this day & age of Technology, Science & Education that there are still those who can yield to the barbarities of ignorant & superstitious Religious Sacrifice.

What is more disgusting is that the parents & families of these Girls / Women are content to stand by & be told that this is what they must do, bowing to the command of some self-proclaimed Religious Dictator rather than taking matters into their own hands & thinking for themselves.
    I'm supposing they are afraid to take matters into their own hands. I doubt they are 'content'. And the ages, FourPart--11-46! That means there will be plenty of mothers with their own daughters being subject to this, together! They need the protections of husbands, fathers, brothers!

This situation lies at the feet of the United States & any other country who supplied military support in the war against Saddam Hussein.

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    04:40 PM

Maybe we have to imagine what life is like in a culture different to our own? How difficult it must be to take a stand against an accepted cultural practice.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    Maybe we have to imagine what life is like in a culture different to our own? How difficult it must be to take a stand against an accepted cultural practice.
    But the reports point out that in Iraq it ISN'T an accepted cultural practice & is, in fact, relatively rare.

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time

For Women to take a stand on their own isn't an accepted cultural practice, though, is it? I am really afraid for these women. I can imagine them being dragged out of their homes, or invaded within their homes, against their will. Will the men in their lives take a stand, one that could result in their deaths? Would the women want them to risk their lives for this procedure? I don't know, I don't know, I don't know what they can do!

Have a protest march? Somehow, I can't see that either. The world must take up their cause--but how? By signing petitions?

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time

But the reports point out that in Iraq it ISN'T an accepted cultural practice & is, in fact, relatively rare.

To be honest I didn't read Anne's link because she warned it might have an unsettling effect on the digestive tract, so my response isn't well informed.

Okay, so it isn't an accepted cultural practice in Iraq...however, there must be sub cultures which do accept it or the issue wouldn't arise.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    To be honest I didn't read Anne's link because she warned it might have an unsettling effect on the digestive tract, so my response isn't well informed.

Okay, so it isn't an accepted cultural practice in Iraq...however, there must be sub cultures which do accept it or the issue wouldn't arise.
    The sub cultures are not located in this area. This is something new for Iraqi women. And here, it is a group of men proclaiming this. It has not been "accepted" here before.

eta--I am hoping, as suggested in the link, it is a Hoax

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    The sub cultures are not located in this area. This is something new for Iraqi women. And here, it is a group of men proclaiming this. It has not been "accepted" here before.

eta--I am hoping, as suggested in the link, it is a Hoax
    Thank you, Anne...I really should have read the link before contributing.

Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Hopefully, this is indeed a Hoax:

"Doubts grow over Isis 'FGM edict' in Iraq"

"Doubts are growing about the authenticity of an edict attributed to the Sunni Islamist group Isis controlling the Iraqi city of Mosul about female genital mutilation (FGM).................But media analysts say the decree seen on social media may be a fake.................
    Some bloggers suggest that the alleged fatwa, which has been circulated on social media for about two days, may have been aimed at discrediting Isis."

BBC News - Doubts grow over Isis 'FGM edict' in Iraq

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast