Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:58 AM

Re: Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    I would hope it's that traditional monotheism is a lethal blight and a permanent shame to the world and has been from its invention.
    Along those lines, yes...............but you can't unring the bell.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Well......theres an offer you can't refuse Anne..........he is a bit of a smoothie really.
    So are you! :-)

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

You're reeding too much personal comment which isn't in my writing. I quoted your original post, which I took to be an accurate description of your reaction to the lie. I pointed out one of a host of earlier examples of lies in similar situations. I honestly don't understand how you can see the news and believe what's being said, or even your wanting to.
    I don't know how to reed. But perhaps you're right. We baby-boomers who felt so lied to during Vietnam about what our country actually stood for are possibly an over-sensitive bunch.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    08:58 AM

To clarify what's happening to Christians in ISIS-controlled areas, there's no such thing[1] as a "forced conversion" - as far as I can see the term is meaningless. Each adult Christian is given the same options: to convert to Islam; or to pay a tax additional to the tax already paid by everyone; or to flee to areas beyond the control of ISIS; or to be killed. The purpose of the tax, according to one medieval interpreter, is "to spare their lives and to give them some time; in hope that during it; they might stop to reflect on the virtues of Islam and its compelling arguments, and consequently converting from disbelief to belief". ISIS is doing exactly what, for example, the Ottomans did when they ruled in those parts.

eta [1]: except, thinking about it, the conversions forced by the Mormons on those who have already died.
    Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

"eta [1]: except, thinking about it, the conversions forced by the Mormons on those who have already died."

While offensive to those living, the actions of the Mormons are absurd & for naught.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    This story came from the United Nations & was reported by reputable press. If it is a hoax, I'm happy to know that. If it is propaganda, it was not deliberately spread with bad intent by me. This thread did lead to talk about FGM, & anxious, irritable men took it over for their own propaganda purposes (LOL, I Swear!).
    I believe the part about the story having come from the U.N. was also part of the hoax, but that's beside the point. I, for one, and I imagine I speak for the vast majority in here, have no doubt at all that it was posted with the best of possible intentions, believing, at the time, that it was a genuine report, and for that you can in no way be blamed.

The fact remains, though, that FGM (and MGM - not the one with the lion, before you say anything) remains a very serious problem when instigated among certain Barbaric Cultures in the name of their Enlightened Religions. As far as we see it, 99.99% of the population would agree that it's absolutely intolerable (although that percentage is probably decreasing as the residential population of those cultures continues to increase). Do we want to do something about it? Of course we do. I'm afraid the question is, though, "What CAN we do?" It's one thing to ban it over here. It's quite another to stop them from taking their kids over to countries, away from the reach of our laws, to where it's a commonplace procedure. It's like telesales. They're banned over here (at least with TPS), so companies turn to offshore Call Centres so that they remain outside of the law. The principle is identical.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    While offensive to those living, the actions of the Mormons are absurd & for naught.
    But what other conversions could you describe as forced? We were trying to define the term.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    01:58 AM

But what other conversions could you describe as forced? We were trying to define the term.
    Well, there was our favorite Inquisitor, ...
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, there was our favorite Inquisitor, ...
    The Inquisition was a Christian body which had power solely over other Christians, it had no effect whatever on members of any other faith unless it was investigating cases of apostasy. I don't see how it bears on this odd term "forced conversion".

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    01:58 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    The Inquisition was a Christian body which had power solely over other Christians, it had no effect whatever on members of any other faith unless it was investigating cases of apostasy. I don't see how it bears on this odd term "forced conversion".
    Not entirely true
    The Inquisition | Jewish Virtual Library

In the beginning, the Inquisition dealt only with Christian heretics and did not interfere with the affairs of Jews. However, disputes about Maimonides’ books (which addressed the synthesis of Judaism and other cultures) provided a pretext for harassing Jews and, in 1242, the Inquisition condemned the Talmud and burned thousands of volumes. In 1288, the first mass burning of Jews on the stake took place in France.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast