Thread: Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    06:51 AM

Re: Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Not entirely true
    I think you need to be careful who you blame for what. I can well imagine the Inquisition burned books, yes. But the burning of Jews at the stake in France in 1288 was, as far as I can tell, a reaction to the old false blood libel which doomed Jews all over Europe for centuries whenever it broke out. To what extent the Inquisition, as opposed to the secular authority, was responsible for the trial I have no idea, but you can scarcely say the event was anything to do with forced conversion. They were Jews, they were falsely accused of killing Christian children for their religious rites, they were found guilty of murder and they were burned at the stake.

Can we collectively try very hard to define what a forced conversion is, since ISIS has been accused in this thread of doing it?
    Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by recovering conservative View Post
    If there are harmful effects of circumcision...and I'm still not convinced there are...
    You're joking , right?

Quote Originally Posted by recovering conservative View Post
    .... I am more inclined to go with expert consensus on the issue than wade through stacks of claims and counter-claims. There are too many issues to try to keep track of these days.
    Good. I agree. Much too much fact and counter-fact to “wade through” for sure. So think about these instead …..

….. Pain, the destruction of nerve endings, and the removal of natural protection against “the elements” such as infections . Are those not sufficient “harmful effects” for your concern? Or perhaps admitting ill-judgement is a pill too bitter to swallow.

But of course, you're right: " ... more inclined to go with expert consensus ... ". Certainly the prudent route to take. Such as https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UAyQdeg9APgduq

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    But of course, you're right: " ... more inclined to go with expert consensus ... ". Certainly the prudent route to take. Such as https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UAyQdeg9APgduq
    Videos removed.

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time
    01:51 AM

Thanks Lars.

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Videos removed.
    Oh shyt! You're right! That's a great pity. Anyway, I see that someone's broken it down into 3 parts and part 3 is still available … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QI5IoWP50.

Better than nothing.

Local Date
    05-30-2020
    Local Time
    11:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    I think you need to be careful who you blame for what. I can well imagine the Inquisition burned books, yes. But the burning of Jews at the stake in France in 1288 was, as far as I can tell, a reaction to the old false blood libel which doomed Jews all over Europe for centuries whenever it broke out. To what extent the Inquisition, as opposed to the secular authority, was responsible for the trial I have no idea, but you can scarcely say the event was anything to do with forced conversion. They were Jews, they were falsely accused of killing Christian children for their religious rites, they were found guilty of murder and they were burned at the stake.

Can we collectively try very hard to define what a forced conversion is, since ISIS has been accused in this thread of doing it?
    I am not trying to blame anyone. Many Jews were, indeed forced (or at least, strongly encouraged) to convert, and the principle drive of the early inquisition was to test the faith of those converted, to assure that their conversion was 'genuine.'
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

I am not trying to blame anyone. Many Jews were, indeed forced (or at least, strongly encouraged) to convert, and the principle drive of the early inquisition was to test the faith of those converted, to assure that their conversion was 'genuine.'
    I agree that the Inquisition tested some Christian converts and their descendants for the veracity of their conversion, yes, and that most of those converts had originally been born into the Jewish faith.

If we're talking about Spain, though, I don't think anyone was forced to convert. As in several other European states - notably England - everyone who practiced the Jewish faith was told to leave the country on pain of death. Nobody was forced to convert, everyone had the opportunity to leave if they preferred that option.

When you say "forced", what precisely do you think you mean? It may be that it's true but nobody's said what it involved. Nobody, for example, describes the early Christian martyrs in pagan Rome as being forced to renounce their faith. If nothing else, self-evidently, it's clear that they chose not to.

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Was it about that time the phrase "Hobson's choice" came about............flippant answer with hidden depth?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Was it about that time the phrase "Hobson's choice" came about............flippant answer with hidden depth?
    I'm really trying to make sense of this matter but I simply don't understand what you mean. Hobson famously only offered one horse from his stable and you either took it or you didn't. ISIS offers a number of alternatives: extra taxes, leave now unhindered, convert or die. The 15th century expulsions had three choices: renounce your faith, leave the country within four months or die. Christians in ancient Rome didn't have the option of leaving Rome as far as I know, but you ignored my point that the ancient Roman Christians aren't ever referred to as forced anythings, they're called martyrs or apostates. So - what does "forced conversion" mean, and does your definition cover what ISIS is quite likely doing.

Local Date
    05-31-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Well.........I am sorry............it sounds like Hobsons choice to me.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast