Banned
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    06:07 AM

Re: ALS challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    I am so tired of this bucket challenge

Did you see where the Firemen up in their bucket to spray people down below as the bucket challenge?

It didn't go well - the firemen in the bucket got caught up in electrical wire and were electrocuted.

If one wants to donate funds to a cause why don't they just send the funds and leave it at that..

This bucket challenge is old.

Patsy
    Catholics have been pouring water on people for centuries, It's called baptism

I have to agree with you here.

Remember the no make challenge on Facebook for breast cancer?
    My revolting neighbour joined In but of course had to remind everyone for weeks that she'd raised her 2's worth with stomach churning posts as ' Doing this for you Grandpa' Oh please !!!
    Anyway, I posted that If she was that bothered, she should donate a standing order of 1 a month for life like me to the charity Instead of these stupid gimmicks.

Oh dear ! Was I In trouble

Banned
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    06:07 AM

On my Facebook, they're coming In fast and furious and I've just posted on Matt Chapman's status offering to be his towel and got a response. That's Matt Chapman, the TV presenter of ' At The Races'.... I may get lucky here.

Local Date
    08-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:07 PM

As I understand it, if the bucket is really filled with ice water, the sensations felt by one doing that to themselves are the closest safe demonstration of what it feels like to have ALS, with the ice water momentarily causing the nervous system to react. It was started by an alumni of Boston College in memory of a friend and former team mate who had ALS. Most of the early videos are from people who are associated with that college. No one expected it to go viral and involve national celebrities.

The difference that it has made in fundraising for ALS research has been significant.

A Roman Catholic diocese in the US has sent out a letter to its members asking them not to take part. They say it murders children because part of the research is with stem cells. <shaking my head in amazement>

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    01:07 AM

I see no harm in the ice-bucket challenge as it is for a good cause.

Reminds me of the little neighborhood carnivals us kids used to have in our backyards for Muscular Dystrophy (Jerry Lewis sponsored this). We would have games and refreshments and invite the neighborhood kids. We charged a fee for tickets and sent the money to the MDA foundation.. It was fun. Ours was on a smaller scale than the one below:

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:07 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    This raises awareness for an illness that affects so many people. Equate it to 5k raises done solely for the purpose of raising money for a local charity. Or how about wearing pink during...what is it October? ....for breast cancer. Or the men growing mustaches in November for testicular cancer. There a plethora of ideas out there to raise awareness for certain illness, diseases and disorders (I haven't even started on autism or Downs' syndrome awareness). And instead of just making a commercial begging for donations, doing something a little different and creative to make it fun, while at the same time donating (or not, the point is awareness) If you don't want to participate in ANY of these causes, that's your right. But just step aside quietly while those that do have some sense of compassion for humanity does what they can to help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2