Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: That time of year again

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    08:16 PM

Re: That time of year again

My Tent Or Yours out for the season with tendon Injury.

Now watch the bookies scramble to adjust the market for the Champion Hurdle In March 2015. I predict this could put Jezki odds on and Annie Power close behind

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Well I know exactly where I'll be on the 11 th March 2015...

What a difference a year makes. Simonsig, The New One, and Sprinter Sacre back In training after being out all year with various problems

The two have never met before, but bookies are being rather generous on both Sire De Grugy and Sprinter Sacre's showdown In The Queen Mother Champion Chase In March.

With Sprinter currently heading the market at 5/2 and Sire at 3/1 It looks like the bookies can't call between the two... neither can I. However, at those prices, It's worth taking the risk on anti-post this early on and going for a win on each.

Sprinter Sacre has been out for a year with heart problems. yet, those In doubt, just think back to 2009 when Denman came back after an Identical heart scare and won the Hennessy Gold Cup under top weight.

For those of you who don't know the history of this remarkable horse.... Nicky Henderson's buyer Minty bought a job lot of 100 horses and In the middle of them was a bizzarre freak of nature that Is Sprinter Sacre, the product of a mistake, after the wrong mare was sent to stud.
    As for his heart scare... It's very Interesting that when you look at champions, the absolute warriors of National Hunt, Sprinter Sacre, Denman and Red Rum all have enlarged hearts and trachea's... so does Frankel.

If you ever watch one horse race... then watch this bizzare freak of nature, a giant of a beast, that Is Sprinter Sacre from last year. Will Sire De Grugy beat him ? Wow what a race It's going to be !!!

On the 11 th March i'll be In the winners enclosure to welcome one of them back.

Cheltenham Festival 2013 - Sportingbet Queen Mother Champion Chase - Sprinter Sacre - YouTube

RIP Sanctuaire

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

The names are In the hat today for The Betfair Chase. That's my day planned for the 22nd November... I'm off to Haydock Park to be In the presence of these Grade 1 Steeple Chasers and aristocracy of Jumps racing.

As I expected, Silviniaco Conti and Cue Card back In action will face each other here but some other names In the hat surprise me and could leave this race open.

Silvinaco Conti heads the market at 5/2 today after he beat Cue Card In the King George In December. Cue Card 4/1

Yet some names that could be a good each way punt. Although, sentiment wise, I adore the Grey that Is Dynaste, he was outclassed last year In this race by Cue Card and Silviniaco Conti.

Holywell could upset the placings here... a duel seasoned Cheltenham stayer that is just sheer class. 15/2

Last year I predicted that one of the best English novices I had seen In a long while and he went on to win the JLT Novices Chase at Cheltenham In March. Taquin Du Seuil again could upset things In this race... at 8/1 he's worth considering.

Another Is Smad Place, another Grey. Seasoned Cheltenham stayer and was really unlucky to get mugged on the line In March. Without that hill on the run In, things could be very different here. 16/1

Al Ferof Is another Grey and another Paul Nicholl's entry. He's been a 2 miler and has only recently stepped up to 3 miles when he ran the King George In December. Depends entirely on how his schooling has gone during the winter. I have a sneaky suspicion that possibly Nicholl's may be looking at him not as a contender but a pace maker for Silviniaco Conti. 20/1

Triolo DAlene last years Hennessy winner will have the stamina for this race... depends on the weights nearer the day. 20/1

The Giant Bolster ran like a warrior In the Gold Cup In March... possible 20/1

Double Ross gave Taquin Du Sueil a late challenge this year at Cheltenham. 25/1

But who's the rank Outsider ? For goodness sake Waley-Cohen.... give It up now and retire Lenny Long Run

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

The first of the trials Saturday 1st November at Wetherby with The Charlie Hall Chase

This Is always a tough one, as for all of them, It's the first real testing outing after being roughed up over the summer.

Some Interesting old Favourites In the hat here and sentiment wise, I would love to see that little brown jobby Silvinaco Conti win this. Very often, this race Is a good guide to the next big race The Betfair Chase at Haydock Park. Winner of The King George Stakes In December. I would Imagine this Is Paul Nicholl's main entrant.

Two years ago I tipped Taquin Du Seuill as the most exciting English novice chaser I have seen recently and If his win In the JLT Novices Chase was anything to go by In March, then he has to have serious consideration. He had a nice little run out two weeks ago and looked good and also at just 7 years old, we really don't know just yet what he's cable of. My only Issue with this boy Is that he's French bred and French horses tend to lack on stamina for one, and for two, they are Initially trained In France over lower fences. When you hear a commentator say In a race ' he brushed his way through the top', you can bet, It's a French bred horse. Having said that, Jonjo O'Neill knows how to train that trait out of a horse. Stamina wise, the win In March was over just 2 miles 4 furlongs, his romp two weeks ago, 2.6 miles... can he hold out for 3 miles? He may tire early but he has to be worth an each way punt.

The Giant Bolster Third In this years Gold Cup. If ever a horse deserved a big title, It has to be him although he did win The Argento Chase last season. This will be his first seasonal appearance Saturday and no doubt, run In a hood and visor to stop him being pesky. He favours, good to soft and heavy going. A fall of rain the night before on Wetherby may be all he needs. Stamina wise, I have no question at all. He has to be up there somewhere In the placings.

Ballypatrick Is one of those entrants we call ' An Irish Raider'... they come across the sea to nick our prizes and Channon Is no fool, he wouldn't bring bring the horse across for nowt. He had a nice little run out In April at Wetherby but for me, he has one too many ' unseated' and pulled up for my liking. Just 1 win out of 17 starts, not good but again, he's still a youngish horse who could surprise.

Double Ross gave Taquin Du Sueill a bit of a challenge In March In the JLT Novices. Again, a young horse with much to prove but fell on his first outing of the season two weeks ago. Could be a blip but given the other contenders, not one I'd consider.

First Lieutenant Now here's an old favourite. According to some pundits, one of two ' superstars' taking on the big guns and quite rightly, he deserves that accolade. An Irish Raider who ain't crossing the sea for nowt. Stamina wise, I can't fault him and If any other deserved a big title, again, It;s him. You just can't knock this boy down, he fights every Inch, a warrior of National Hunt who will never give In until he's over the line. A Grade 1 Hurdler and Chaser coming In the places In the Lexus Chase, Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown, and the Punchestown Gold Cup, 3 of the most gruelling races In the National Hunt Calender. Has to be of serious consideration.

I need tea and will look at Harry Topper, Medermit, Menorah, Rocky Creek and Wayward Prince later

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

An Interlude here with confirmed entrants for The King George Boxing Day

Silviniaco Conti (5),
    Simonsig (6),
    Cue Card (8),
    Champagne Fever (10)
    , Dynaste (10),
    Holywell (14),
    OFaolains Boy (14)
    , Taquin Du Seuil (16)
    , Al Ferof (20)
    , Bobs Worth (20)
    , Boston Bob (20)
    , Ma Filleule (20)
    , Ballycasey (25)
    , Captain Chris (25)
    , Lord Windermere (25)
    , Morning Assembly (25)
    , Oscar Whisky (25)
    , Wonderful Charm (25)
    , Don Cossack (28)
    , Benefficient (33)

Dear God, I think I've died and gone to Grade 1 horse heaven.

Champagne Fever, Simonsig, Dynaste and Al Ferof.... that;s the most Greys I've seen In a line up for a long time

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Namechange View Post
    The first of the trials Saturday 1st November at Wetherby with The Charlie Hall Chase

This Is always a tough one, as for all of them, It's the first real testing outing after being roughed up over the summer.

Some Interesting old Favourites In the hat here and sentiment wise, I would love to see that little brown jobby Silvinaco Conti win this. Very often, this race Is a good guide to the next big race The Betfair Chase at Haydock Park. Winner of The King George Stakes In December. I would Imagine this Is Paul Nicholl's main entrant.

Two years ago I tipped Taquin Du Seuill as the most exciting English novice chaser I have seen recently and If his win In the JLT Novices Chase was anything to go by In March, then he has to have serious consideration. He had a nice little run out two weeks ago and looked good and also at just 7 years old, we really don't know just yet what he's cable of. My only Issue with this boy Is that he's French bred and French horses tend to lack on stamina for one, and for two, they are Initially trained In France over lower fences. When you hear a commentator say In a race ' he brushed his way through the top', you can bet, It's a French bred horse. Having said that, Jonjo O'Neill knows how to train that trait out of a horse. Stamina wise, the win In March was over just 2 miles 4 furlongs, his romp two weeks ago, 2.6 miles... can he hold out for 3 miles? He may tire early but he has to be worth an each way punt.

The Giant Bolster Third In this years Gold Cup. If ever a horse deserved a big title, It has to be him although he did win The Argento Chase last season. This will be his first seasonal appearance Saturday and no doubt, run In a hood and visor to stop him being pesky. He favours, good to soft and heavy going. A fall of rain the night before on Wetherby may be all he needs. Stamina wise, I have no question at all. He has to be up there somewhere In the placings.

Ballypatrick Is one of those entrants we call ' An Irish Raider'... they come across the sea to nick our prizes and Channon Is no fool, he wouldn't bring bring the horse across for nowt. He had a nice little run out In April at Wetherby but for me, he has one too many ' unseated' and pulled up for my liking. Just 1 win out of 17 starts, not good but again, he's still a youngish horse who could surprise.

Double Ross gave Taquin Du Sueill a bit of a challenge In March In the JLT Novices. Again, a young horse with much to prove but fell on his first outing of the season two weeks ago. Could be a blip but given the other contenders, not one I'd consider.

First Lieutenant Now here's an old favourite. According to some pundits, one of two ' superstars' taking on the big guns and quite rightly, he deserves that accolade. An Irish Raider who ain't crossing the sea for nowt. Stamina wise, I can't fault him and If any other deserved a big title, again, It;s him. You just can't knock this boy down, he fights every Inch, a warrior of National Hunt who will never give In until he's over the line. A Grade 1 Hurdler and Chaser coming In the places In the Lexus Chase, Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown, and the Punchestown Gold Cup, 3 of the most gruelling races In the National Hunt Calender. Has to be of serious consideration.

I need tea and will look at Harry Topper, Medermit, Menorah, Rocky Creek and Wayward Prince later
    Just gone In for the latest betting and see First Luitenant hasn't made the final declarations as have some others.

Quite typical when you have such a strong favourite... trainers tend to hedge their bets elsewhere.... I'm predicting FL will now be geared toward Irish soil Instead and the JNwine.com Champion Chase.

So just Menorah, Wayward Prince and Medermit to cover.

Menorah... Ran a shocker In the Rynair Chase this March but came back to win at Sandown In April then went on to run a shocker at Sandown In April... I like this Phillip Hobb's Chaser but a little too unpredictable for my liking.

Wayward Prince..Didn't Impress In March this year and fell In April... Again, too unpredictable but having said that he's used to 3 miles plus and has the stamina... An accident such as a fall and bringing down of the big guns could see him placed.

Medermit... The Grey of the race and French but has a no fall record. I like this Alan King horse. He's had 3 outings early this year and didn't disgrace himself although failed to make a real Impression.

So, for me.... I have no choice here but to go for a win on my little brown Jobby, the one who made my 2013 Boxing Day a right Christmas Cracker. Silviniaco Conti the favourite
    I'm sticking him with a straight forecast of Taquin Du Seuill behind him and an each way punt on both TDS and The Giant Bolster.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Menorah... Ran a shocker In the Rynair Chase this March but came back to win at Sandown In April then went on to run a shocker at Sandown In April... I like this Phillip Hobb's Chaser but a little too unpredictable for my liking.
    The thing us devotee's love about National Hunt, Is just as the pundits write them off, they'll come back totally unpredicted and take your breath away. It's that moment you see an old warrior that you gave up on return to a blaze of glory.

Silviniaco Conti ran a lack luster race and just didn't fire. By the 3rd last, I was expecting to see that something extra that saw off Cue Card In the King George but no. He finished a disappointing 5th. I'm sure questions will be asked but this race Is always a toughy given that for many of them, It's the first real test of the season.

As I predicted though, Tarquin Du Seuill finished 2 nd and endorsed my prediction two years ago that he could be a future Grade 1 champ. Very promising performance. Place pay out for me.

But my hearty congratulations to Phillip Hobb's today and the one we all wrote off. Menorah returning to that old form and taking a comfortable win. Ran an absolute blinder. Fluent and found that something extra... that's what we like to see.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Yippee doody... Names and prices In the hat today for the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury.

Now... the race Is on 29th November. I love Newbury race course and It's one of my most frequented and the Hennessy Is one of the most gruelling for Steeple Chasers. Something magic always happen here when the aristocracy of Grade 1's come together for a clash of the titans. However, duty calls and Instead I must be In Blackpool for the Party Conference. Such a shame to miss It as Newbury does the best hospitality for us devotee's.

Looking at the names In the hat.... one or two stand out Immediately for me...Smad Place, my husbands favourite race horse, Fingal Bay and Midnight Prayer

More on the form later

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

First of all... what a fantastic win for one of my favourite Chasers today at Clonmel, Ireland. Don't think I've quite recovered at seeing him getting mugged on the line In a photograph at Cheltenham In March by that pesky Western Warhorse. Today's win puts this boy today at 10/1 joint favourite for the 2015 Gold Cup. Champagne Fever

Every chance I'll be mozzying on down to Cheltenham tomorrow for some proper National Hunt racing. Many of my favourites racing tomorrow here and It's my chance to get up close to the aristocracy of equine Grade 1's and have some horse snot blown over me In the pre-parade ring.
    There Is one boy I want to see again, the absolute warrior that Is the champion Cross Country and second In the Grand National this year, Balthazar King... love, love, love this boy. He attacks fences like a lion and providing he's not pulled between now and tomorrow afternoon, think I will wait for him In the Winners enclosure to get some pics.

So...

1.15 pm... Oscar Time will be the one to beat here but I am going to stick my neck out with an old favourite Fruity O'Rooney

1.50 pm Robin's Command Is the danger but again, I'm sticking with an old favourite each way Rio De Sivola

2.25 pm... A small field but quite hard to call. Slight blip this year with Champagne West coming 4th last time out but given the Incidents during the race that saw him badly hampered, I'll stick with him. Yet Urban Hymn and Colour Squadron will be the dangers

3.00 pm Just can't see It going any other way bar an accident or Incident than the unbeaten Blaklion .....Port Melon runs this race... let's hope history doesn't repeat It'self here last time at Cheltenham when the horse spooked, bolted, crashed through the rails and took out two race goers In The Best Mate enclosure.

3.35 pm see's more old favourites. Ahhh dear old Caruthers, one of the tiniest race horses on the circuit and winner of the 2011 Hennessy Gold Cup... For me has to Balthazar King although Any Currency could be a danger here. Balthazar King just won the Cross County when he was In a photograph with Any Currency. Worth a r/v f/c though.

4.05 pm an Commitment for me

Banned
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    First of all... what a fantastic win for one of my favourite Chasers today at Clonmel, Ireland. Don't think I've quite recovered at seeing him getting mugged on the line In a photograph at Cheltenham In March by that pesky Western Warhorse. Today's win puts this boy today at 10/1 joint favourite for the 2015 Gold Cup. Champagne Fever

Every chance I'll be mozzying on down to Cheltenham tomorrow for some proper National Hunt racing. Many of my favourites racing tomorrow here and It's my chance to get up close to the aristocracy of equine Grade 1's and have some horse snot blown over me In the pre-parade ring.
    There Is one boy I want to see again, the absolute warrior that Is the champion Cross Country and second In the Grand National this year, Balthazar King... love, love, love this boy. He attacks fences like a lion and providing he's not pulled between now and tomorrow afternoon, think I will wait for him In the Winners enclosure to get some pics.

So...

1.15 pm... Oscar Time will be the one to beat here but I am going to stick my neck out with an old favourite Fruity O'Rooney

1.50 pm Robin's Command Is the danger but again, I'm sticking with an old favourite each way Rio De Sivola

2.25 pm... A small field but quite hard to call. Slight blip this year with Champagne West coming 4th last time out but given the Incidents during the race that saw him badly hampered, I'll stick with him. Yet Urban Hymn and Colour Squadron will be the dangers

3.00 pm Just can't see It going any other way bar an accident or Incident than the unbeaten Blaklion .....Port Melon runs this race... let's hope history doesn't repeat It'self here last time at Cheltenham when the horse spooked, bolted, crashed through the rails and took out two race goers In The Best Mate enclosure.

3.35 pm see's more old favourites. Ahhh dear old Caruthers, one of the tiniest race horses on the circuit and winner of the 2011 Hennessy Gold Cup... For me has to Balthazar King although Any Currency could be a danger here. Balthazar King just won the Cross County when he was In a photograph with Any Currency. Worth a r/v f/c though.

4.05 pm an Commitment for me
    1.15 Nope ... Oscar Time unseated rider and Fruity O'Rooney 6th

1.50 Rio De Sivola badly hampered and forced Into unseating rider through no fault of his own.

2.25 Yep, I was right... Champagne Fever an effortless win

3,00 Blaklion 2nd

4.05 Nope Commitment 9th

Now, I didn't get chance to get to Cheltenham today so I am pig sick... The one horse I would have made the trip for just to see In the parade ring and welcome him back to the winners enclosure, that absolute lion and warrior Balthazar King Unusual for him but a serious error at the early stages saw a miracle of how Richard Johnson managed to stay on the horse. Great recovery. Lost ground so I was worried... another mistake at the 19th but no... The Glenfarclas Cross Country over almost 4 miles and 32 obstacles were swatted aside to win by one and a half lengths... Never even broke a sweat. Now watch the bookies slash the odds for the same race In March 2015.
    Dear little Caruthers 5th... Any Currency 4th.

Due to size of bet on Balthazar King.... slight profit on the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast