Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: That time of year again

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    01:45 AM

That time of year again

As I already had a thread last year, I shall keep my tips for the National Hunt Season within that old thread, but In order to refrain from hogging the front page during the season, I shall dedicate this thread to all the big races needed for entrants to qualify for the Gold Cup In March 2015 Instead of posting separate threads.

In order for any entrant to qualify for the Gold Cup In March they Ideally compete In one of the Key trials, Including those pesky Irish raiders coming across the Irish Sea Intent on nicking our prize money. These races are for 3 milers

The Key trials for the Gold Cup are:

The Hennessy Gold Cup ( Grade 3 open to horses over 4 years old over 3 miles 2 and a half furlongs, 21 fences run at Newbury on a left handed track

The Betfair Chase ( Grade 1 open to horses over 5 years old over 3 miles and 18 fences run at Haydock Park on a right handed track

The Charlie Hall Chase ( Grade 2 open to horses over 5 years old over 3 miles, 1 furlong with 18 fences, run at Wetherby on a left handed track

The King George Stakes ( Grade 1 open to horses 4 years and over over 3 miles with 18 fences on a right handed track at Kempton Park

The Lexus Chase ( Grade 1 open to horses over 5 years over 3 miles and 17 fences on a right handed track at Leopardstown, Ireland.

The Argento Chase, for sponsership reasons now called The Cotswold Chase. ( Grade 2 for horses over 5 years old over 3 miles and 21 fences. Run at Cheltenham on a left handed track

The Irish Hennessy Gold Cup ( Grade 1 open to horse over 5 years over 3 miles and 17 fences. Run at Leopardstown, Ireland on a left handed track

Your roving racing reporter will bring you the lowdown on form and probability along with some Inside gossip from those In neighing circles.

What we will see Is the aristocracy of Irish and British Chasers battling It out during the winter months to earn their place In the Gold Cup.

This early on, I will stick my neck out here and state that the star of this season will be Sire De Grugy Ideally, I myself would like to see Gary Moore step him up from 2 miles to 3 miles and compete In some of these races, but the reality Is, he won't just as Nicky Henderson will not entertain stepping Sprinter Sacre up to 3 miles, however we are garunteed a showdown between the two this season.
    Also sticking my neck out here and the one I will be watching very carefully this season Is Henderson's Simonsig who has been out of action for a year with Infection and failing trachea washes. Henderson looks like he's gearing him for the King George and this could be, providing he's fit, a real challenge to Silviniaco Conti this year.

All of this, Is what makes the trials for the Gold Cup so exciting.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    01:45 AM

Re: That time of year again

I've done It again folks... Peter left his page running on top of mine and buggered off out... Note to self... check first.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    09:45 AM

That's better... Peter you are banned from my laptop

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

This March saw many upsets when champions faced Champions at the culmination of the season that Is The 4 day Cheltenham Festival. Due to rain and heavy going, many of the favourites got de-throned on the day but we saw some very exciting new prospects for this season. We also saw the canny trainer Willie Mullins come across the Irish sea with his pesky Irish raiders and trounce us.

For people like me, this Is about the horses not the races. We wait, hopeful In the Winners enclosure to see the aristocracy of National Hunt return to glory rather than be on the track watching the race. For me, In March, I was ecstatic to see my beautiful warriors Dynaste, Balthazar King and Fingal Bay receive the adoration they deserved.

As we lose the likes of The Wonder Mare Quevega, Sizing Europe, Big Bucks and Moreofthat to retirement, new superstars come up through the ranks.
    I predicted a year ago that one of these would be the novice Tarquin De Suell and I'm keeping a close eye on his this year.

With the news that the one dubbed the Black Areoplane Sprinter Sacre, and Simonsig are back In training after heart scares and Infection, this sets up an exciting showdown In the 2015 Queen Mother Champion Chase against Sire De Grugy

Here's a video of the aristocracy that people like me will travel the length and breth of the country just In order to get up close... If that beautiful beautiful boy Dynaste Is declared for the King George on Boxing Day, that's my Christmas sorted.

2014 Cheltenham Festival Memories - Racing UK - YouTube

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Namechange View Post
    That's better... Peter you are banned from my laptop
    How do you propose to make that stick?

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Well, due to the campaign of my election, I will soon be working In another room with my laptop chained to my new desk

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    With a big stick.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Namechange View Post
    Well, due to the campaign of my election, I will soon be working In another room with my laptop chained to my new desk
    May I also suggest chaining the door if you are not in it?

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

This for me Is exciting... the names are In the hat for the 2015 Queen Mother Champion Chase In March

Pretty much as I expected but a surprise entry by Henderson with Simonsig with today's market of 14/1 mmmm What's henderson up to one can only wonder given he apparently Is gearing Simonsig to The King George on Boxing Day over 3 miles, yet the QMCC Is 2 miles. So what's he doing ? Stepping up the horse to 3 miles ? I am guessing that If he feels the horse Is not 100 % after being out for over a year, he'll not make the final declaration for the KG and concentrate on the QMCC In March... or vice versa.

Heading the market Is Sprinter Sacre and Sire De Grugy and If both make final declarations, the bookies will be fearing the forecast pay outs on the two. These two have never met before and It all depends on how Fit Henderson has Sprinter before the day.

Plenty of names In the hat but with trainers entering their horses for more than one race during the four days, I am also predicting that should Sprinter and Sire De Grugy be declared two days before, the field will drop dramatically with trainers not risking taking on these two big guns.

Interesting to see Western Warhorse entered here, This Is a pest of an equine who's behaviour has been called Into question before but he surprised everyone this year when he mugged my bet Champagne Fever on the line.

Hidden Cyclone Is also entered here. He gave Dynaste a challenge In the Ryanair this year.

What about Somersby who came In 6 lengths behind Sire De Grugy In March.

But no... even this early In the day, I will stick my neck out and say this Is a two horse race. Sprinter Sacre or Sire De Grugy. Let's see how they do In the trials. I'll be watching Simonsig closely. If fit, he could just upset the big guns on the day.hmmm

Banned
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    News from neighing circles...

Now I have a dilemma ... 29th November, my birthday. Normally, I would be at Newbury for the Hennessy Gold Cup but this year, the race falls on the day I should be In the North of England for the General meeting with the Chairman... need careful consideration here given that my driver, Is old Brian who got lost on the way home on the previous outings I was unfortunate enough to have him allocated to me. Devon and Leicester meetings that will forever be In my memory on account of finally getting home at 4 In the morning after many wrong turns.

So, back to neighing circles and news from Colin Tizzard that Cue Card Is back In training. Winner of last years Betfair Chase was trounced at the last fence by that little brown jobbie Silviniaco Conti In The King George on Boxing Day.
    Cue Card was ruled out of the Gold Cup this year after a stress fracture. It appears he's doing great on the gallops at home and Tizzard seems to be gearing him for The King George and a rematch with Silviniaco Conti.

Rich Ricci has confirmed that Champagne Fever, a horse I rate highly who was mugged on the line at Cheltenham by the pesky Western Warhorse will be stepped up to 3 miles and may be targeted at The King George.
    The King George on Boxing Day seems to be looking like a field of the grace of Greys what with Dynaste, Al Ferof, Champagne Fever, all Grey horses.
    The Betfair Chase will give an Indication of what to expect In this race but It appears former Gold Cup winner, Bobs Worth has his days numbered. Yet rumours are that Nicky Henderson will target the horse at The Hennessy.

The Hennessy and that canny Irish Champion trainer, Willie Mullins will be looking to nick our prize money In gearing Djakadam to this race. The horse was unbeaten until falling and crashing to the turf 4 out In the JLT Novices Chase at Cheltenham this March. Bright New Dawn Is another Mullin's novice that needs a close eye as he could just upset the big guns. Mullin's does not bring a novice across the Irish Sea as a raider for nowt. Even this early on, a good each way punt I feel.

Henderson has hinted Bobs Worth has 9 options for the season with the Hennessy being one. Yet I feel, this Is the same kind of scenario we had with Long Run. Bobs Worth was totally outclassed last season In the Betfair and by Silviniaco Conti and Dynaste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast