Closed
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    10:35 AM

Re: Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Put my life on hold?

I believe I been a good son, brother and uncle. Never seen in a situation where somebody has been in such dire straits that I should put my life on hold, whatever that means.
    Or you have been very lucky not to have known someone in such a situation, or you just don't get it.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    04:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe_88 View Post
    Or you have been very lucky not to have known someone in such a situation, or you just don't get it.
    What I think is we have a different idea of what it is to put your "life in hold".

My Mom lived alone outside Hilo, Hawaii. Divorced from my Dad, her husband died she lived alone in the sticks, so to speak. She had some kind of stroke, or whatever ended up in the hospital. On top of that she suffers dementia.

Me and my siblings live on the mainland and by luck of the draw, I became responsible for her. Doing things like securing legal authority to speak for her, move her to he mainland, take care of her property etc and so on.

Took a lot of time off work. Spent a lot of time to find a place for her to stay and so on.

I hope I gave you the idea that she was totally dependent on me. Cost me a lot of time and money, but never once was my "life put on hold".

It is a part of life.

I could tell you about my best buddy who died last year and the time off work and all the other chit I did for him.

Nothing went on hold.

P.S. Mom is doing OK. Her favorite son, my youngest brother is looking after her now.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    05:35 AM

Interesting story, TD.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

PS--So, it's not "life on hold", it's life.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    You got it.
    Gang aft agley.
    For promis'd joy!

Closed
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Sorry bit touchy on the subject. Im glad your mum has sons she can rely on and that she is doing okay!

Id say its part of being a family. I was surprised to hear many would not help family out. They continue with their normal work, day to day lives and seem only to care about family during the happy times and run when there is some trouble. Maybe that explains why i said putting your life on hold.

When i heard some bad news last month i just called work, took weeks of work and flew to a different country to help a family member out. I didnt even think about how it would give me a month in debt afterwards. When it's family, money/own day-day life is not an issue for me. They are my life.

Shame not everybody thinks that way ey...

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe_88 View Post
    Sorry bit touchy on the subject. Im glad your mum has sons she can rely on and that she is doing okay!

Id say its part of being a family. I was surprised to hear many would not help family out. They continue with their normal work, day to day lives and seem only to care about family during the happy times and run when there is some trouble. Maybe that explains why i said putting your life on hold.

When i heard some bad news last month i just called work, took weeks of work and flew to a different country to help a family member out. I didnt even think about how it would give me a month in debt afterwards. When it's family, money/own day-day life is not an issue for me. They are my life.

Shame not everybody thinks that way ey...
    I am relived with your answer.

It was later I thought maybe better just to leave it alone. Just glad there are no hard feelings.
    Gang aft agley.
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Some people don't have loving families. Some people have cruel families, & it would be going against a lifetime of misery to help one of them out in the end. You are lucky, Chloe, you receive the love you give. I had wonderful parents & maternal grandma. When my mother died my sister dumped me & my son. They wouldn't care if we were starving in the street. If I had a brain in my head, neither would I.

Closed
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Some people don't have loving families. Some people have cruel families, & it would be going against a lifetime of misery to help one of them out in the end. You are lucky, Chloe, you receive the love you give. I had wonderful parents & maternal grandma. When my mother died my sister dumped me & my son. They wouldn't care if we were starving in the street. If I had a brain in my head, neither would I.
    That's true Anne.. Some don't have loving families at all, not even in good times.
    I'm sad to hear about your sister not caring. But wonderful you did have such great parents and grandma!

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I agree, Anne.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2