Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

  1. #11
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    11,406
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    08:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    First, I have made my argument, but saying I must have misinterpreted Samuel's words does not at all show the misinterpretation of them; show my misinterpretation of his words.

    Second, what does going back to Samuel's institution in service to God have to do with this... the connection is not only not clear, but making that argument seems ignorant and of no reasonable value whatsoever, but I will let you explain your argument.
    Well, I confess that if you have made your argument, then I have completely missed whatever point you are trying to make, here.
    I am guessing it is yet another of your attempts to portray Paul as some sort of Blasphemer, or somthing.

    Short story, The people figured out that they couldn't really understand God, so the demanded a Judge to lead them, and God gave them a Judge, Then, When Samuel was getting old, they said they wanted a king, like all the other nations, so God gave them a King. Even then they were not really happy, but they managed to get along for a while, at least until the Babylonians came.

    We have already discussed Paul's words, in a previous thread, and I really see no point in going there with you, again. I don't really care to help you grind your axe, and I am not sure anyone else here even cares THAT much.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    219
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    08:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, I confess that if you have made your argument, then I have completely missed whatever point you are trying to make, here.
    I am guessing it is yet another of your attempts to portray Paul as some sort of Blasphemer, or somthing.

    Short story, The people figured out that they couldn't really understand God, so the demanded a Judge to lead them, and God gave them a Judge, Then, When Samuel was getting old, they said they wanted a king, like all the other nations, so God gave them a King. Even then they were not really happy, but they managed to get along for a while, at least until the Babylonians came.

    We have already discussed Paul's words, in a previous thread, and I really see no point in going there with you, again. I don't really care to help you grind your axe, and I am not sure anyone else here even cares THAT much.

    At least be honest and admit you cannot make a real argument against the evidence and you don't want to admit a contradiction exists because you hold to a belief (in ignorance) that the bible is without contradiction.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    219
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    08:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Are you talking about all the contradictions in the bible or all the hypocrasy? You don't seem to know the difference.
    Jesus taught not to judge (enact punishment against others) as the measure one enacts against others is what they will receive back. As well Jesus stated that his followers were to love their enemies and in the New Testament Paul teaches a contradicting ideology and claims that those who enact judgment against others are ministers of God. Yes it is a contradiction and when contradictions are practiced that is hypocrisy and so Paul condoned contradicting views and when a book holds 2 opposing views while it is a contradiction it condones hypocrisy.

    Paul not only clearly contradicted Samuel, his teachings clearly contradict Jesus and until professed Christians understand that, they will embrace the contradictions of Paul and preach and live as hypocrites: as they profess to be followers of Christ while they don't.

  4. #14
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    11,406
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    08:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    At least be honest and admit you cannot make a real argument against the evidence and you don't want to admit a contradiction exists because you hold to a belief (in ignorance) that the bible is without contradiction.
    Sorry, Bubba, but you are wrong on every count, here. There are plenty of contradictions in the Bible. I've never said otherwise. You simply fail to make an argument as to how your example is one of them.
    Oh, by the way, contradiction does not necessarily translate to hypocrisy.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,550
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:44 PM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Jesus taught not to judge (enact punishment against others) as the measure one enacts against others is what they will receive back. As well Jesus stated that his followers were to love their enemies and in the New Testament
    Paul teaches a contradicting ideology and claims that those who enact judgment against others are ministers of God. Yes it is a contradiction and when contradictions are practiced that is hypocrisy and so Paul condoned contradicting views and when a book holds 2 opposing views while it is a contradiction it condones hypocrisy.
    Paul not only clearly contradicted Samuel, his teachings clearly contradict Jesus and until professed Christians understand that, they will embrace the contradictions of Paul and preach and live as hypocrites: as they profess to be followers of Christ while they don't.
    #

    Paul practiced what he preached so he wasn't being hypocritical. If he had preached not to exact punishment on others and then gone on to do so that would be hypocrisy. Someone who embraces the teachings of paul and acts as they preach is not being hypocritical they are being true to their beliefs. You might not agree with them because they contradict yours but they are not hypocrites.

  6. #16
    Senior Member FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,304
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:44 PM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    #

    Paul practiced what he preached so he wasn't being hypocritical. If he had preached not to exact punishment on others and then gone on to do so that would be hypocrisy. Someone who embraces the teachings of paul and acts as they preach is not being hypocritical they are being true to their beliefs. You might not agree with them because they contradict yours but they are not hypocrites.
    Romans 5:8
    “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

    John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that
    whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

    Nahum 1
    2 "The LORD is a jealous and vengeful God; the LORD is vengeful and strong in wrath. The LORD is vengeful against his foes; he rages against his enemies".
    3 "The LORD is very patient but great in power; the LORD punishes. His way is in whirlwind and storm; clouds are the dust of his feet".

    Furthermore, isn't Jealousy one of the 7 Deadly Sins?

    The Bible is full of contradictions, but as previously stated that doesn't equate to Hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is preaching one thing whilost doing another, such preaching about how material posessions & wealth are sinful, yet the Church is one of the wealthiest corporations in the world. They place themselves above & exempt from the 10 commandments. "Love Thy Neighbour" - "Though Shalt Not Kill". How many millions have killed & been killed in the name of God under them impetus of dogmatic hatred? This is hypocrisy, and the worst hypocrites in the world are to be found within the Church.

  7. #17
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    4,083
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    09:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Are you talking about all the contradictions in the bible or all the hypocrasy? You don't seem to know the difference.
    BINGO

    As was already pointed out there are obvious contradictions .

    I see no hypocrisy. Bible preaches nothing, it stands alone.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,550
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    03:44 PM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    My apologies for the bad spelling I hate it when I get the spelling wrong, it's usually bad typing to blame.

  9. #19
    Senior Member AnneBoleyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    6,587
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    10:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    My apologies for the bad spelling I hate it when I get the spelling wrong, it's usually bad typing to blame.

  10. #20
    Senior Member AnneBoleyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    6,587
    Local Date
    04-04-2020
    Local Time
    10:44 AM

    Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

    Register to remove this ad.
    Sheep? What's your point? What does it mean to you if the bible contradicts itself, sometimes, or not?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts