+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:34 PM

Hypocrisy in the Bible.

Many people have tried to make the claim the bible is infallible and that it doesn't contradict itself. But is it true? Let's hear what you have to say about the following contradiction in these verses: do they contradict each-other?

1Sa 8:4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah,
    1Sa 8:5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.
    1Sa 8:6 But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD.
    1Sa 8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign/RULE over them.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Personally, I think only a fool will not admit that these verses contradict each-other. But let us hear those of you who believe the bible doesn't have contradictions, show how these verses don't do just that.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Re: Hypocrisy in the Bible.

Well, I don't see the contradictions you are writing about. I suggest that the burden is on you to prove your point.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Many people have tried to make the claim the bible is infallible and that it doesn't contradict itself. But is it true? Let's hear what you have to say about the following contradiction in these verses: do they contradict each-other?
    Me Too

Really more interested in the answer than the question.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Many people have tried to make the claim the bible is infallible and that it doesn't contradict itself.
    I don't question that "many", whatever number or percentage that is, have tried to make that claim. Any serious Bible student knows that that is nonsense.

You can start with the first two chapters of Genesis, with man being created after the beasties in chapter one and before them in chapter two.

And there are probably scores if not hundreds of other examples in the OT alone.

And yer pernt is wha?

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, I don't see the contradictions you are writing about. I suggest that the burden is on you to prove your point.

In 1st Samuel chapter 8 verse 7 Samuel states the kings of Israel will not be, and are not, God`s reign/rule over them: "they have rejected me, that I should not reign/RULE over them."

In Romans 13 verses 1-4 the picture is not only made that God ordains the governments, but that those who rule are ministers of God... by making such a claim it must be that Paul and therefore the bible teaches a contradiction to Samuels words in that Paul said God does actually Rule through governments as he claims they are God's ministers, thus God Rules/Reigns through governments: otherwise how are they God's ministers?

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Okay, balls in your court.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

In 1st Samuel chapter 8 verse 7 Samuel states the kings of Israel will not be, and are not, God`s reign/rule over them: "they have rejected me, that I should not reign/RULE over them."

In Romans 13 verses 1-4 the picture is not only made that God ordains the governments, but that those who rule are ministers of God... by making such a claim it must be that Paul and therefore the bible teaches a contradiction to Samuels words in that Paul said God does actually Rule through governments as he claims they are God's ministers, thus God Rules/Reigns through governments: otherwise how are they God's ministers?

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Okay, balls in your court.
    Sorry, Net Ball.

You can quote Scripture, but you have not yet produced your argument.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Sorry, Net Ball.

You can quote Scripture, but you have not yet produced your argument.
    Reread my last post... clearly Romans 13 says that those in power are ministers of God and thus God rules trough them, while 1 Samuel 8 states that God would not be ruling through the rulers/kings that would be ruling over Israel.

Roman's says rulers are ministers (Attendant/servant) of God; if One is a servant of God they are acting on God's behalf: just as Samuel did. It appears clear that the text in Romans 13 is making this argument. The Prophets of God were also said to be ministers of God and God enacted His will through them. Again it appears clearly obvious that Paul is making this exact argument in Romans 13 and yet Samuel clearly states that God would not be ruling through those in power.

If you think I am misrepresenting Paul's argument I would be more than happy to hear your argument showing how, but I don't think I am.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Clearly, your interpretation of I Samuel is incorrect.

But you must go back to how Samuel became Judge to get that.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Clearly, your interpretation of I Samuel is incorrect.

But you must go back to how Samuel became Judge to get that.
    First, I have made my argument, but saying I must have misinterpreted Samuel's words does not at all show the misinterpretation of them; show my misinterpretation of his words.

Second, what does going back to Samuel's institution in service to God have to do with this... the connection is not only not clear, but making that argument seems ignorant and of no reasonable value whatsoever, but I will let you explain your argument.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    11:34 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Are you talking about all the contradictions in the bible or all the hypocrasy? You don't seem to know the difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast