Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I just had an odd thought.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time
    08:44 AM

Re: I just had an odd thought.

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    Of all of the prominent figures of WW II very few were actually in a healthy state.

1). Franklin Delano Roosevelt had polio.
    2). Josef Stalin had a withered arm.
    3). Adolf Hitler developed Alzeimer's disease.
    4). Josef Göbbels had a club foot.
    5). Hermann Göring was a morphine addict.
    6). Benito Mussolini was mad.

DISCLAIMER: The above message is my opinion alone. I have successfully resisted including any links or sources of documented information, thus avoiding criticism of being “left wing” - “right wing” - or too firmly placed into the centre to be of any use. Any resemblance to truth or fact, therefore, is purely coincidental.
    Is this a comment on medical advancement ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Administrator
    Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Far too many willful lies are told about people in the public eye.

A reliable refutation of Churchill's alleged but unfounded alcoholism can be found at Drunk and Ugly: The Rumor Mill

I can happily believe the well-attested tale relating to Bessie Braddock - "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk" - but the fact that she said it is very little evidence that her allegation was true, even on that occasion.

As for familial neuro-syphilis, it's scarcely a genetic trait. His father was one of the vilest Victorians ever to grace the House of Commons and became, over the years, one of its most disreputably insane members, but I don't think one can reasonably hold that against the wartime Prime Minister.

|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Is this a comment on medical advancement ?
    I didn't mean it to be. I am beginning to wonder though if madness (in one form or another) is required to even want to rule a nation.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FG View Post
    Far too many willful lies are told about people in the public eye.

A reliable refutation of Churchill's alleged but unfounded alcoholism can be found at Drunk and Ugly: The Rumor Mill

I can happily believe the well-attested tale relating to Bessie Braddock - "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk" - but the fact that she said it is very little evidence that her allegation was true, even on that occasion.

As for familial neuro-syphilis, it's scarcely a genetic trait. His father was one of the vilest Victorians ever to grace the House of Commons and became, over the years, one of its most disreputably insane members, but I don't think one can reasonably hold that against the wartime Prime Minister.
    I haven't said a word on alcoholism (Churchill) but about his mental illness, he himself referred to it as his “Black Dog” so I'm guessing there's some truth in it.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

I didn't mean it to be. I am beginning to wonder though if madness (in one form or another) is required to even want to rule a nation.
    My own theory about anyone that aspires to be Famous either as a performer or Politician is that they are.......strange....not mad, but definitely different than most other people. Of course there are many high profile people that most surely are a bit loopy.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FG View Post
    Isn't that the one to which his reply was something like, "Yes Madam, and you're ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober".

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Did he?

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    11:44 PM

Sorry, you didn't finish your sentence. What exactly happened while he was standing in his field? Was there a bombing raid or was he under parachute barrage? Tell you the truth I'm not all that certain he was prominent enough to qualify. We could put it to the vote if you like?
    He is more then prominent enough .. and all his comrades as well ...
    They might not have a huge title or a huge pocket book ...
    They have pride and dignity ...I am sure lots of them had poor health as well ..
    Most prominent people sit in a great huge office .. get all credit for work other people have done ..

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Surely someone standing in a field would qualify as a Scarecrow.

Local Date
    06-04-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Isn't that the one to which his reply was something like, "Yes Madam, and you're ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober".
    Yes indeed, I believe it was, and it just goes to show that he still had the wit to make a quick retort even whilst drunk !

Churchill suffered from depression from time to time, which is hardly surprising, given his situation and responsibility.

Another thing that is not widely known is that Winston Churchill always carried a hand gun, whilst he was the wartime Prime Minister - he was a marksman.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast