Thread: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    04:09 AM

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    "Isn't it strange the things you can remember when you are just a tot ?"

I can remember every detail of a dream I had when I was two years old. It was in color and terrifying.

I can remember quite a bit. Though that conversation was when I was a bit older. My dad had several friends who had been involved in pretty big stuff during the war, and by the time I was in grade school, I had learned a lot from just being in the same room when they got together to talk about things. I was a pretty smart kid, and knew when to just sit and listen.
    We lived in Huntsville, AL in the mid to late 50s and several of the old Germans would show around there, occasionally when they were developing the Space program. A kid can really learn if he's quiet.
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    11:09 AM

I knew I remembered something about them using some kind of Radio Navigation
    Guidance system
    A V-1 on display in Musée de l'Armée
    A reconstructed starting ramp for V-1 flying bombs, Historical Technical Museum, Peenemünde (2009)

The V-1 guidance system used a simple autopilot developed by Askania in Berlin to regulate altitude and airspeed[10] (the RLM at first planned to use a radio control system with the V-1 for precision attacks, but the government decided instead to use the missile against London).[14] A weighted pendulum system provided fore-and-aft attitude measurement to control pitch (damped by a gyrocompass, which it also stabilized). Operating power for the gyroscope platform and the flight-control actuators was provided by two large spherical compressed air tanks that also pressurized the fuel tank. These air tanks were charged to 150 atm (15,199 kPa)(2,204psi) before launch. With the counter determining how far the missile would fly, it was only necessary to launch the V-1 with the ramp pointing in the approximate direction, and the autopilot controlled the flight.

There was a more sophisticated interaction between yaw, roll and other sensors: a gyrocompass (set by swinging in a hangar before launch) gave feedback to control the dynamics of pitch and roll, but it was angled away from the horizontal so that controlling these degrees of freedom interacted: the gyroscope remained true on the basis of feedback received from a magnetic compass,[citation needed] and from the fore and aft pendulum. This interaction meant that rudder control was sufficient for steering and no banking mechanism was needed. In a V-1 that landed in March 1945 between Tilburg and Goirle, Netherlands, without detonating, several rolled issues of the German wartime propaganda magazine Signal were found inserted into the left wing's tubular steel spar, used for weight to preset the missile's static equilibrium before launching. Several of the earliest V-1s to be launched were provided with a small radio transmitter (using a triode valve marked 'S3' but equivalent to a then-current power valve, type RL 2,4T1) to check the general direction of flight related to the launching place's and the target's grid coordinates by radio bearing (navigation).
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_fl...uidance_system - The page also includes a picture of a Spitfire using its wingtips as previously described)

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Well the Brits. turning those V1s were what my two older brothers watched in fascination! The V1s seemed to be regular flyers over Mayfield area in Kent. Such skillful flying by our pilots sent quite a few V1s back to where they came from, but I expect they ran out of go-go over the channel and were lost in the sea. Would have been ironic if one of them had crashed onto a German warship and sunk it !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

It is now Christmas day and for us it has been very quiet. We have opened our pressies and all seemed very happy with what we got ! The food was delicious of course, too.

The TV has been booked for 8.45 pm - 10.45 pm on ITV 1, so that we can all see the last ever episode of Downton Abbey - what an enjoyable series (several) that has been, and I understand it has gone very well in America!

We will be visiting some friends of ours tomorrow, Boxing Day, and I expect we will have loads of buffet offered along with wine and possibly some Rumtopf (German recipe for preserving fruit over most of a year - very potent ).

The weather has been mostly dry with an odd brief shower of light rain and this morning we saw a bit of sunshine. It is a bit on the windy side though. The forecast is for more rain over the West side of the country and this unfortunately includes the long-suffering Cumbria. Haven't they had enough rain already ?

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    03:09 AM

I have been fiddling around with Facebook, trying to understand the blasted thing and how to put up a photo of myself in my mother's redbird sweatshirt and pants (clothes 25-30 years old) to show to my kids, brothers, nieces, nephews, etc.. taken today, 12/25/15

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8e&oe=56805443

Did it work? By George, I think it did.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    I have been fiddling around with Facebook, trying to understand the blasted thing and how to put up a photo of myself in my mother's redbird sweatshirt and pants (clothes 25-30 years old) to show to my kids, brothers, nieces, nephews, etc..

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8e&oe=56805443

Did it work?
    It's viewable, but the easiest way with FB is to save it to your Hard Drive, then click on the Camera icon in the text line. Browse to the picture, select it & hit Enter.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Thank you FourPart! I'm usually pretty good at teaching myself how to do things but Facebook seems more inscrutable than taking my washing machine apart. LOL! I will do as you say. Goody, goody, goody-- Hard Drive--Camera icon! I love learning new things!

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

It worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you! FourPart.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

You're very welcome :-)

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    "We're all doomed "
    The front page has been abducted !!!!! Call out the National Guard !!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast