+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: American Sniper

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    10:54 PM

American Sniper

So I got this book through an audible site so that I can listen to it while doing the treadmill. figured I'd read it before seeing the movie/

Have any of you read this? Are any of you reading it?

Any thoughts you like to share/discuss?

I'm an Airforce mom and my inclination is generally Rah - Rah USA... but the beginning of this book kinda creeps me out.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    11:54 PM

Re: American Sniper

When it is "us" doing the sniping, it's commendable. When it is "them" they are terrorists. Even when it is "us" who invaded "them."

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    09:54 PM

I have not read it, or seen the flick, yet.
    In the early 70s I was a volunteer at a crisis center. We handled all sorts of issues, from drug overdoses, and bad trips to people contemplating suicide and and such.
    One guy came in carrying a bottle of drain cleaner, and said he was prepared to drink it.
    He had been a sniper in 'nam and was haunted by what he had done. We were unable to convince him not to drink the stuff, but we did stall him long enough to have the EMTs walking in the door as he swallowed it.
    He lived, and now hear he is a counselor for vets of the latest Bush wars.

This author apparently never suffered such hauntings. I guess you would have to be able to completely justify your actions, and never entertain the slightest doubt to be a good sniper.
    The mindset of such people worries me. I expect many of them now are employed by Police SWAT teams.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:54 AM

I find the furore a bit ridiculous. Is it any worse than dropping bombs on people that can't defend themselves or using using unmanned drones so there is no risk to the attacker at all? That's worse IMO sanitaised warfare without risk. If you go to war it's a bit silly to be precious about how you kill people.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    09:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I find the furore a bit ridiculous. Is it any worse than dropping bombs on people that can't defend themselves or using using unmanned drones so there is no risk to the attacker at all? That's worse IMO sanitaised warfare without risk. If you go to war it's a bit silly to be precious about how you kill people.
    I agree. That is why I did not go.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

I read a news story that indicated he had trouble with alcohol when he got out, before he got some help... I'll have to see if I can find that.

I know they say he donated the proceeds from the book to families of lost soldiers and in all the stories and interviews he comes off like a super guy. And he worked with troubled vets and was in fact killed by one..

But at the beginning where he is talking about how evil these folks were, I'm not sure if he's trying to convince the reader or himself.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    When it is "us" doing the sniping, it's commendable. When it is "them" they are terrorists. Even when it is "us" who invaded "them."
    Why did we INVADE THEM? Your opinion please Anne.

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    11:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Why did we INVADE THEM? Your opinion please Anne.
    I was thinking of Iraq for this instance, though I could mention others. Do you disagree that we invaded Iraq, where the film takes place?

I believe we invaded Iraq based on false information with prior intent to invade Iraq at the first excuse, even before 9/11 occurred. I remember reading of such intent on the part of GW before the election v. Gore.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I was thinking of Iraq for this instance, though I could mention others. Do you disagree that we invaded Iraq, where the film takes place?

I believe we invaded Iraq based on false information with prior intent to invade Iraq at the first excuse, even before 9/11 occurred. I remember reading of such intent on the part of GW before the election v. Gore.
    No I don't disagree

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Hmm, ,

Dropping bombs, drone attacks include killing bystanders.

A sniper has only one target at a time.
    Gosh, it would be awful pleasin'
    To reason out the reason
    For things I can't explain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast