+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Iraq!

Local Date
    09-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:41 PM

Go Iraq!

I haven't cared for Iran since that whole Hostage thing, but I don't have to like them, do I?

Could the two join forces and bring some stability to the area? Could they make the citizens start to feel safe again in their own homes?

BBC News - Iraq 'seizes districts from IS' in Tikrit advance
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    09-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:41 PM

Re: Go Iraq!

Iran soon to be a country with not only a nuclear bomb, but the ability to deliver it is a worrisome thought.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    05:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    I haven't cared for Iran since that whole Hostage thing ........
    Really? I wonder if you know the events leading up to that affaire. Perhaps you are not aware that the Islamic Revolution and the return of Ayatollah Khomeini to Tehran were in direct response to the Amer-British destruction of the Democratic government of Iran and their tight-shoe fitting the Shah as puppet boy in the country who then proceeded in thrusting his people into brutal suppression, all under the benevolent eye of Washington and London. See, “Operation TP Ajax”. Today's Iran (nuclear threat et al.) is the consequence of American and British intervention. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Lightbulb Re: Go Iraq!

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Iran soon to be a country with not only a nuclear bomb, but the ability to deliver it is a worrisome thought.
    Perhaps the U.S. and Britain ought to apologise and offer a hand of friendship. Iran has extended its' hand many times (since the Islamic Revolution) but to no avail. Shunning Iran has proven to be a dangerous exercise. But, suit yourself. If you cherish that "worrisome thought" .................. then carry on.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    04:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    Perhaps the U.S. and Britain ought to apologise and offer a hand of friendship. Iran has extended its' hand many times (since the Islamic Revolution) but to no avail. Shunning Iran has proven to be a dangerous exercise. But, suit yourself. If you cherish that "worrisome thought" .................. then carry on.
    The words of Neville Chamberlaine after offering the hand of friendship spring to mind...
    The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    I haven't cared for Iran since that whole Hostage thing, but I don't have to like them, do I?
    Iran, oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Mohammad Mosaddegh until a US administration paid for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime which collapsed under the weight of public antipathy.

Iraq oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Saddam Hussein until a US administration paid for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime which collapsed under the weight of public antipathy.

Libya, oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Muammar Gaddafi until a US administration paid for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime which collapsed under the weight of public antipathy.

Syria, oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Bashar al-Assad until a US administration tried to pay for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime, which would collapse under the weight of public antipathy if it ever gets installed.

And you wonder why most of the Middle East contemptuously detests US administrations? Have you no imagination?

You actually cared for that greed-driven torture-loving satrap Mohammad Pahlavi?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    The words of Neville Chamberlaine after offering the hand of friendship spring to mind...
    Yes, I'm sure you're right. Just as well the American government hasn't accepted Iran's hand. All the U.S. wants is Iran's oil fields ..... again .... and Washington would only break the peace before very long. This way the Americans have no promises to break. Well, not with Iran anyway.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Iran, oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Mohammad Mosaddegh until a US administration paid for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime which collapsed under the weight of public antipathy.

Iraq oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Saddam Hussein until a US administration paid for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime which collapsed under the weight of public antipathy.

Libya, oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Muammar Gaddafi until a US administration paid for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime which collapsed under the weight of public antipathy.

Syria, oddly enough, had a stable secular republican government under a chap called Bashar al-Assad until a US administration tried to pay for the overthrow of his government and the installation of a puppet regime, which would collapse under the weight of public antipathy if it ever gets installed.

And you wonder why most of the Middle East contemptuously detests US administrations? Have you no imagination?

You actually cared for that greed-driven torture-loving satrap Mohammad Pahlavi?
    I do see your point. However, the case with Mosaddeq was a stable, progressive Democracy. The others …. not so much.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    I do see your point. However, the case with Mosaddeq was a stable, progressive Democracy. The others …. not so much.
    I suggest that Saddam Hussein was the best possible leader of Iraq in terms of improving the lives and social standing of the majority of Iraqis, that Muammar Gaddafi was the best possible leader of Libya in terms of improving the lives and social standing of the majority of Libyans and that Bashar al-Assad has been and is the best possible leader of Syria in terms of improving the lives and social standing of the majority of Syrians.

I think the question has to be whether the US-financed destabilization of Iraq, Libya and Syria has been, on balance, of benefit to the citizens of those countries, either in the short, medium or long term. I cannot believe there's anyone with the brass neck to say yes with regard to any of them. Those three countries have been utterly devastated as a consequence of these US-sponsored assaults, and the sooner the US has the ability to behave this way removed from it the better. I would prefer the removal to be a function of diplomacy but if it has to involve, for example, a worldwide embargo on US companies, then that's fine by me too. It has to stop.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Thumbs up Re: Go Iraq!

Register to remove this ad.
    I suggest that Saddam Hussein was the best possible leader of Iraq in terms of improving the lives and social standing of the majority of Iraqis, that Muammar Gaddafi was the best possible leader of Libya in terms of improving the lives and social standing of the majority of Libyans and that Bashar al-Assad has been and is the best possible leader of Syria in terms of improving the lives and social standing of the majority of Syrians.
    Hmmm. I haven't given it that much thought. Sounds interesting. Care to give me a “For Dummies” glimpse into some detail?

I think the question has to be whether the US-financed destabilization of Iraq, Libya and Syria has been, on balance, of benefit to the citizens of those countries, either in the short, medium or long term.
    A resounding “NO!”

Those three countries have been utterly devastated as a consequence of these US-sponsored assaults, and the sooner the US has the ability to behave this way removed from it the better. I would prefer the removal to be a function of diplomacy but if it has to involve, for example, a worldwide embargo on US companies, then that's fine by me too. It has to stop.
    Will you still be here when I wake up? I'm having such a beautiful dream …. I want it to last. Now, where is this list you'll be wanting me to sign?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast