Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Give me a frickin' break!

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    11:47 PM

Re: Give me a frickin' break!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    You guys do know that that "news" article is from Foxnews, right? So it has no relation to reality at all, and is probably even completely made up.

Leonard Pitts, "But why shouldn’t Fox be sanguine? People who mistake it for a news outlet will never hold it accountable for failing to be one because, in the final analysis, news is not really what it promises them, nor what they seek. Rather, what it promises and what they seek is an alternate reality wherein birthers make sensible arguments, death panels are real, Trayvon was the thug, Sarah Palin is a misunderstood genius and all your inchoate fears of the looming Other are given intellectual cover so they no longer look like the scaredy-cat bigotry they are.

It gives its viewers what they need. It tells them what they want to hear.

Read more here: Leonard Pitts Jr.: Bill O’Reilly ‘proof’ of P.T. Barnum’s adage | Miami Herald Miami Herald

Google it. Bizarre but true - this story is..
    UC Irvine American flag ban: Unpatriotic or revolutionary ideal? (+video) - CSMonitor.com

UC Irvine student executive council vetoes US flag ban | abc7.com

Does UC Irvine hate the American flag? Not exactly - LA Times
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    05:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    You guys do know that that "news" article is from Foxnews, right? .......
    I love your poster!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    In the very first line she says, “Our symbol of freedom”. This source might not be FuxNews but if it walks like a duck …..

This one talks about “fighting for our country and dying for our country” and “I think the U.S. is ….. the greatest country to live” …. more duck walking. But the best is, “The student executive cabinet says that the ban was counter to the ideals and freedom of speech that allows them to operate as an autonomous student government organization.” Funny, considering the organization's decision was vetoed. So much for “the ideals and freedom of speech that allows them” to do very much.

Oh, come on! The title itself asks, “Does UC Irvine hate the American flag?” HATE? What is this “Love it or leave it” - “With us or against us” mentality? The “threat” was apparently from the flag-wavers ...... or worse … from the police. Otherwise why won't the authorities say from where the “threat” is coming?

And all through it the insistence that it is about “the American flag” - “the American flag” - “the American flag”. Well! The suggested ban would have applied to ALL FLAGS, not only “the American flag”.

So OK, it wasn't such a very good idea to ban the flag on the basis of …. er … ah …. why did they want to ban it? None of these reports gave much chance for the students to air their grievances against displaying ALL FLAGS.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    10:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    But they, as with the blacks, came home again to the same old racism as when they left.
    That is true. At the same time having served, many were not ready to settle for the same old crap.
    Nine years after the end of the war

Brown vs. Board of Education

It isn’t always a pretty history, but overall we have made a lot of progress.

There's no honour in that. They were paid as much honour as the Nazis paid to decorated German Jews of WW I.
    Gee wiz.

I admire your chutzpah.

Ten years after the end of WWI there was

Kristallnacht

I think you know the rest of the story.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    That is true. At the same time having served, many were not ready to settle for the same old crap.
    Nine years after the end of the war
    Brown vs. Board of Education

Gee wiz.
    I admire your chutzpah.
    Ten years after the end of WWI there was
    Kristallnacht
    I think you know the rest of the story.
    It must be impossible to imagine: The black American WW II veteran who happened to glance across the street, then later the same evening be lynched for “eyeing a white woman”. And the German Jew who never dreamed that he'd end up in one of the death camps, after all he served in the German Army during the hell of WW I. But then there was the random machete beheadings during the Rwanda madness, and the Muslim Holocaust of the Bosnians. What is this thing called “life”?

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    09:47 PM

The Story of Mankind....

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time
    04:47 AM

Reading the third of your links, it amazes me that a sub committee of the SU can issue a statement of this nature in the union's name without clearing it through the executive committee first.

Ten ivory tower dreamers tarring the entire student body's name in the eyes of the country.

Local Date
    12-13-2019
    Local Time
    10:47 PM

It must be impossible to imagine: The black American WW II veteran who happened to glance across the street, then later the same evening be lynched for “eyeing a white woman”.
    Oh sure I can.

When did that happen, outside your imagination?

I did say our history is not pretty, but we made progress. We can only change laws, not people.

And the German Jew who never dreamed that he'd end up in one of the death camps, after all he served in the German Army during the hell of WW I.
    It would be really nice if you could stay on topic.

YOU are the one who made the comparison of WW1 and WW2 vets.

But then there was the random machete beheadings during the Rwanda madness, and the Muslim Holocaust of the Bosnians. What is this thing called “life”?
    Changing subject is always good dodge.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Oh sure I can.

When did that happen, outside your imagination?

I did say our history is not pretty, but we made progress. We can only change laws, not people.

It would be really nice if you could stay on topic.

YOU are the one who made the comparison of WW1 and WW2 vets.

Changing subject is always good dodge.
    Ever the ass.

Local Date
    12-14-2019
    Local Time

Smile Re: Give me a frickin' break!

Register to remove this ad.
    ..... When did that happen, outside your imagination? .....
    I was thinking Tude, if you could pin-point the part of my post that upset you then we might be able to see what your problem is. Was it the part where I said it was difficult to imagine the suffering of others or the fact that I went beyond the appreciation of the suffering of Jews ….. and included black Americans, Africans and Muslims?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2