Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Project "Black Sun":experiments in anti-gravity?

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    11:16 PM

Re: Project "Black Sun":experiments in anti-gravity?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Our knowledge is advancing in this field, but I feel we have a long way to go yet. "Anti-gravity" is possibly a little misleading, as quantum locking appears to be repulsion, using magnetics. If perfected, it could revolutionize air transport and heavy lifting, though!!
    The thing about anti-gravity, were it other than fiction, is the immediate proximity of our planet which has not inconsiderable mass. To be able to successfully repel a craft from such a large, solid, immoveable body would be a considerable and free power source. I do hope nobody else ever uses the word when trying to name alternative forces like electromagnetism, it's very misleading.

If anyone does, in fact, successfully demonstrate a mechanism which disobeys the existing laws of thermodynamics, this thread would be an ideal place to disclose it. Future discoveries in physics may well achieve exactly that. I merely note that nobody, ever, from the days of the first cave-artist to the present Year of Grace 2015, has even once done such a thing in a reproducible manner. Speculating that they might is, unless one happens to be a Nobel-class physicist, something of a pointless occupation.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

It would indeed require a large,sorry,LARGE power source, possibly obtained by some clever piece of physics "trickery" (the new Sabre jet is possibly one example of physics "trickery", utilising ultra-fast cooling,thus enabling jets of vastly greater horsepower to be produced, though this is in no way related to "repulsor" physics, so-to-speak).
    I can guarantee one thing , though. I don' think I'll be "cracking" this riddle myself anytime soon, but it IS good to speculate, debate, swap ideas and knowledge...and the odd witticism!
    As to the future of this fledgling branch of physics, judging by some of the "leaps" we've made, and continue to make, only time and research will tell. Looking interesting,though.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

Tearing power from the underlying fabric of the universe is a possible game-changer.

If you consider the Uncertainty thingy of Heisenberg, where velocity and location can be determined to only a degree of precision and as one grows finer the other necessarily grows more coarse, one uncovers the Planck limit which can be interpreted as the finest-grain division of location (and, presumably, time). Somewhere before you reach that limit (of around 10^-40m) you get virtual particle pairs separating and recombining constantly, everywhere.

Depending on how the Vacuum Catastrophe puzzle gets solved, either we will all have access to extreme free energy (in which case I'll head to the asteroids in a converted Routemaster) or we're going to stick to coal for a few more hundred years.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

Yes, it does look like there is potentially plenty of "free energy" available, if we can only work out how to tap/channel/trigger/rip it. Fascinating stuff. You seem to know quite a bit about physics, please tell me it's not from Wiki! (If you do, you'll spoil the day somewhat!).

I might be tempted by the Moon. Wonder if there's coal on the Moon... no, can't be, the Russkies would have mined it by now!

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    please tell me it's not from Wiki!
    Good lord no - Wikipedia does not, for example, anywhere describe The Uncertainty thingy of Heisenberg.

I reckon the uncertainty principle hints at a fixed word length for the universe. If the location-and-velocity of a particle is a fixed length field from which both location and velocity are derivative quantities, and flags can allow other aspects of the particle to be recorded, you might end up with a word-length of (say, as a fair guess) between 128 and 256 bits. A lot of those words, taken together as a table, constitutes a snapshot of the universe. An array of those snapshots is a static, permanent, unchanging description of the universe from start to finish, and the array can be traversed along any combination of its axes to give different views of what's in it.

I did think the array could be edited to perform transporter operations but then I thought, that's probably not safe at all, I'll stick to walking.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm glad to hear that, and thanks for the explanation,too.

Don't blame you for sticking to walking, I think I will,too. I don't think I fancy trillions of little bits of meat and hair all going to separate locations in the universe nearly simultaneously, and I don't think anyone else will, either!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3