Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 LastLast

Thread: The observation and asides thread

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time
    06:04 AM

Re: The observation and asides thread

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Hmmmm.....the word "cult" . I've been a part of both the Catholic church and the Jw's and to be honest, the Catholic church is (if you want to call it as a cult) is far more cultish than the Jw's. And I've known many of both religions. Jw's live within the world but not part of it. but when you think about it. if you thought a particular area of society wasn't to your taste you'd seperate yourself from it as well. And they put up with a lot. It's a form of bullying really to suggest a label and sum a person. religion. race with one word. And then say that's the whole story. I don't know. If I was to choose I'd much prefer a human who has the tendency to reject harming others and gains nothing from it than follow somone who who has an agenda to protect.
    You know, if it weren't for the staggering extent of sexual abuse which goes hand in hand with religious leadership in both Roman and JW congregations, I'd be a bit less critical of their reason for existence.

I have no doubt there's nothing cowardly about the refusal to accept military conscription, or even transfusions, but there's a fundamental idiocy about believing in any external spiritual authority which has to be obeyed. That's just hocus pocus mind control on the part of the elders, and if the Russians choose to persecute that then I've no objection at all.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

I set out from Bristol 20 hours ago to get to Penzance by train, and I'm now just approaching Exeter which is meant to be a one hour leg. Nobody in this country could organize a piss-up in a brewery, all we have is employment for the sake of employment and very few people actually doing any useful work - certainly not if they have anything to do with the railways.

We had a strong wind, apparently. Some fool left a tree too close to an overhead line. A bunch more fools took hours too long to correct the initial error. No trains leaving Bristol got any passengers at all into Cornwall for the whole of yesterday, I'm told.

What I want is a matter transporter gate at every bus-stop in the country, and I want it this year, and I want it cheaper than the current misbegotten public transport system which operates in failure mode far too often. Nobody in Victorian England would have tolerated this degree of incompetence.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time
    12:04 AM

In the US, soldiers of the past would go to war and die for God and Country. Today it's different for the most part. Today it's a team-styled chant of 'USA! USA! USA!'

Not that any of that should be surprising because our military indoctrination masters began to note decades ago the decline of religion and so they began to mix sports with the religion as a failsafe. Since the 80's they've gone pedal to the medal with gender as well. So many of today's superheroes, dogooders, and villains in movies and books are female. That has been their response to feminism.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I set out from Bristol 20 hours ago to get to Penzance by train, and I'm now just approaching Exeter which is meant to be a one hour leg. Nobody in this country could organize a piss-up in a brewery, all we have is employment for the sake of employment and very few people actually doing any useful work - certainly not if they have anything to do with the railways.

We had a strong wind, apparently. Some fool left a tree too close to an overhead line. A bunch more fools took hours too long to correct the initial error. No trains leaving Bristol got any passengers at all into Cornwall for the whole of yesterday, I'm told.

What I want is a matter transporter gate at every bus-stop in the country, and I want it this year, and I want it cheaper than the current misbegotten public transport system which operates in failure mode far too often. Nobody in Victorian England would have tolerated this degree of incompetence.
    I assumed no trains were getting past the coast at Dawlish, I assume winds were too high to allow trains onto the bridge crossing the Tamar? what was the reason for nothing to be running in Cornwall at all? Why couldn't they run buses out of Plymouth to Saltash and run the train from there?

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

I will add, it has been bloody rough! The wind has been relentless and the rain at times was biblical. The thunder and lightning was so close this morning it tripped all my electrics and caused a whole cafe of people to jump out of their skins.

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time
    04:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post

Ha, in last twelve months we've had all trains stop because it's too hot, meaning the tracks were buckling.
    We had trains stop because the tracks were too slippery during and after rain....I kid you not.

My suggestion, the reason being, we've been making our train wheels and tracks from chinese steel. (but apparently I'm not allowed to say that)

Local Date
    04-05-2020
    Local Time
    11:04 PM

Well, we have been having blizzard conditions for the last week, and the only highway across the state is being regularly shutdown due to either Avalanches, or Avalanch Mitigation activities by the DOT.
    Meanwhile, another part of the State is reporting Drought conditions due to the lack of precipitation.

Good thing Trump has assured us that Climate Change is a hoax.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    what was the reason for nothing to be running in Cornwall at all?
    Among other things, the county lost signalling yesterday because of the storm so nothing could move West of Plymouth.

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

The BBC has a news item about a lying scoundrel called "Conservative MP and former Environment Secretary Owen Paterson", whoever that might be.

Claim: UK fishermen were "throwing back a million tonnes of fish dead" every year because of the EU's Common Fisheries Policy (CFP), according to Conservative MP Owen Paterson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51415240
    So, here we go. Numbers. UK government statistics, the latest I can find, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...tics-published

UK vessels landed 724 thousand tonnes of sea fish into the UK and abroad during 2017.

(and UK fleet landings abroad rose to 290 thousand tonnes so therefore, out of interest but irrelevantly, UK fleet landings in the UK amounted to 434 thousand tonnes).

100000/1724%? I think that's right?

So, of all the fish caught by UK fishermen, 58% are thrown back into the sea dead before the ship docks, being "unwanted or undersized"?

Absolute utter claptrap, Mr Patterson. Go and boil your head, you're a disgrace to your calling.

By all means show me an alternative improved source for the size of the UK fleet's catch, someone.

Local Date
    04-06-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Using a knife and fork on finger food

Nieves Barragán Mohacho, Sabor, London
    “If this irritates me, it’s only because I want guests to enjoy the food. For example, if they try to eat pan con tomate with a knife and fork, we say: ‘No, just get it in your hands and get into it,’ and they love it. Peeling prawns is the same. You don’t get extremely messy and who cares? You can wash your hands.”

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...st-enrage-them

opps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 LastLast