+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Tour de France cycle race.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    11:20 PM

2015 Tour de France cycle race.

The Brits have done it again ! Good for you Chris Froome winning the Tour De France for the second year running ! Sorry you had to put up with certain members of the crowd throwing things at you and spitting at you and booing you, all because of unfounded suspicion of drug use ! I'm damn sure that the frequent drug tests would have found traces if any of the Brits had been cheating like that.

Froome Heads Home After Tour De France Win
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

Re: 2015 Tour de France cycle race.

There seems to be two forms of sport, one in which the athlete is unaided and another in which the quality of the equipment used makes the difference between winning and losing. For all the brand-name running equipment used by her competitors, Zola Budd won barefoot. In direct contrast, I doubt whether anyone could win the Tour de France without a bike of astonishing quality.

Perhaps we need to use two words, "sport" and "event". Athletics is a sport. The Tour de France cycle race is an event, like Formula 1. The participants of these events may be fit but they're not necessarily sportspeople.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    There seems to be two forms of sport, one in which the athlete is unaided and another in which the quality of the equipment used makes the difference between winning and losing. For all the brand-name running equipment used by her competitors, Zola Budd won barefoot. In direct contrast, I doubt whether anyone could win the Tour de France without a bike of astonishing quality.

Perhaps we need to use two words, "sport" and "event". Athletics is a sport. The Tour de France cycle race is an event. The participants may be fit but they're not necessarily sportspeople.
    You're quite right about the exceptional equipment required, Spot. In British cycle development, there is a group of "developers" nicknamed "the department of marginal gains", set up to make wheels as perfectly round as possible, and as light as possible. This same ethos applies to all parts of a competitors bike; and all the cumulative tiny gains equal something noticeable. The other element is, of course, desire to win above all else, hence another British tour win. The others will catch up, though. Like Mercedes in the F1 cars, they won't be "king of the heap" forever.

British cycling should enjoy it's (probably) brief period "in the sunshine". Let's hope there's no performance-enhancing drugs involved, especially after the Armstrong debacle.
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time
    12:20 AM

Perhaps we need to use two words, "sport" and "event". Athletics is a sport. The Tour de France cycle race is an event, like Formula 1. The participants of these events may be fit but they're not necessarily sportspeople.
    Did Zola run on a cinder track ?
    Once the 'playing field' is leveled it still takes the better athlete to win......doesn't it ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Did Zola run on a cinder track ?
    Once the 'playing field' is leveled it still takes the better athlete to win......doesn't it ?
    I did not follow the career of Ms Budd sufficiently closely to know the answer to that.

I don't think any of the Bike Races even attempt to level the playing field in terms of standardizing the bikes, other than banning any form of chemical or flywheel energy store.

I also note that, as with Formula 1, the Tour de France cycle race is privately owned for profit, as are several other of the most well-known contests.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time

I did not follow the career of Ms Budd sufficiently closely to know the answer to that.

I don't think any of the Bike Races even attempt to level the playing field in terms of standardizing the bikes, other than banning any form of chemical or flywheel energy store.

I also note that, as with Formula 1, the Tour de France cycle race is privately owned for profit, as are several other of the most well-known contests.
    My point being it takes a better athlete to beat the others............if.......the equipment they all have the opportunity to use is regulated.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

You are, I think, suggesting that the worse athlete might win the Tour de France cycle race merely by buying superior technology.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time
    05:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    My point being it takes a better athlete to beat the others............if.......the equipment they all have the opportunity to use is regulated.
    Spot on Bruv, so to speak.

In a race that long there are many other factors involved. It is a team contest and accidents do happen. Good luck applies.

All said and done, it does come down to the guy in a saddle.

Local Date
    01-24-2020
    Local Time

You are, I think, suggesting that the worse athlete might win the Tour de France cycle race merely by buying superior technology.

I am saying put a donkey on the best bike possible and you are on a looser.
    Put two athletes on identical bikes and the better athlete wins.
    The rules being the same, the better athlete wins.
    Whatever sport you name the equipment changes, swimmers wear sleeker costumes, running tracks and shoes improve, tennis rackets improve, all within allowed parameters.
    Most sport now is professional, if you are good enough, you attract the better sponsors with the best equipment money can buy and that might give you an edge over others of equivalent ability.

Local Date
    01-23-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I agree with Bruv. One could have the finest tools of the trade to work with, but if you are not very good at your job you will still fail to make the grade.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast