+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing wild animals for fun

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    07:57 PM

Killing wild animals for fun

There's probably a more neutral word for it, like "collateral damage". Hunting, fishing and shouting? Something like that.

An unutterably despicable cad went to Rhodesia (as Americans still call the place, while flying flags of the Confederacy) and harpooned a lion. The red-top gutter tabloid press has renamed him Kim "Pol Pot" Gaddafi and PETA has called for his public hanging for serial offences, the chap having blown up some form of American Bear with a grenade out of season a few years ago.

He was a Minnesotan dentist until last month. He will now, being a Celebrity, make a fortune as a public speaker. I rather hope he throws his hat into the Republican Presidential Primaries, he'll be a billionaire by the time he drops out. Or, of course, wins.

The bear and the lion, meanwhile, are dead.

If only he'd joined the Marines he could have machine-gunned Iraqi wedding guests instead, and got a medal for it.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:57 PM

Re: Killing wild animals for fun

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    There's probably a more neutral word for it, like "collateral damage". Hunting, fishing and shouting? Something like that.

An unutterably despicable cad went to Rhodesia (as Americans still call the place, while flying flags of the Confederacy) and harpooned a lion. The red-top gutter tabloid press has renamed him Kim "Pol Pot" Gaddafi and PETA has called for his public hanging for serial offences, the chap having blown up some form of American Bear with a grenade out of season a few years ago.

He was a Minnesotan dentist until last month. He will now, being a Celebrity, make a fortune as a public speaker. I rather hope he throws his hat into the Republican Presidential Primaries, he'll be a billionaire by the time he drops out. Or, of course, wins.

The bear and the lion, meanwhile, are dead.

If only he'd joined the Marines he could have machine-gunned Iraqi wedding guests instead, and got a medal for it.
    OUCH!! I would recommend avoiding a career in the diplomatic corps...
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

What puzzles me is why these psychopathic killers, or "hunters" as they call themselves, don't stalk domestic pets instead.

It must surely be as technically difficult to put a crossbow bolt through a feral bull terrier from fifty yards in a town center as it is to wound a lion in an African wildlife reserve, and the psychopathic act would then qualify a public service rather than a life-changing cock-up. The killer would be unlikely to eat the corpse, but I doubt he planned to do that with the lion either.

A stuffed Staffordshire bull terrier's head mounted over the door of the den would be just as impressive.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    01:57 PM

Unhappy Re: Killing wild animals for fun

Oh it is sad story, and I heard the lion killed was quite a famous one. I know many countries in Africa allow hunting with licenses of certain animals, as a source of revenue.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by chonsigirl View Post
    I know many countries in Africa allow hunting with licenses of certain animals, as a source of revenue.
    I suspect there are two moralities involved in the transaction.

Allowing killers to satisfy their cravings as a source of otherwise-unraisable revenue to support the reserve may well be commendable.

Being a killer with cravings to satisfy may, at the same time and for the same act, be a moral disgrace.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:57 AM

While I don't condone this guy, or an other of the clowns who have lately been called out for paying big bucks to go to Africa and kill "Big Game" for trophy, some responsibility must be put on the so-called guides and even the administration who allows such behavior to take place.
    The man paid them to help him find a wild Lion to shoot, and well, this Lion seemed hardly wild, at all.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

So he's not just a psychopathic killer, he's gullible too. Isn't that how the West describes ISIS recruits?

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time

I just knew there had to be a euphemism involved in this. It's "taking", apparently, not "killing".
    "Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practise responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion," he added.

US dentist Walter Palmer 'regrets' killing Zimbabwe lion Cecil - BBC News
    No, Mr Palmer, it's not taking. It's killing. Or, in your case, ineptly wounding - I suggest you rebuild your skills from the ground up, start with a Jack Russell [1] at point blank range and make sure it's dead before you go to the next level.

I notice you've engaged a publicity agent, too. Presumably so you can end up taking still more.

[1]: A passing reference to the classic punch-line "A Jack Russell, your Honour".

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    08:57 PM

Question Re: Killing wild animals for fun

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    While I don't condone this guy, or an other of the clowns who have lately been called out for paying big bucks to go to Africa and kill "Big Game" for trophy, some responsibility must be put on the so-called guides and even the administration who allows such behavior to take place.
    The man paid them to help him find a wild Lion to shoot, and well, this Lion seemed hardly wild, at all.
    True. There's a double standard here. Mugabe has exceeded his "bag limit" of homo sapiens but Lord, hands off the lion. Yes, and some still stick spears into the shoulders of bulls, force horses to jump over dangerous hurdles, and run down the fox till it dies of a heart attack. All in the name of sport. So why pick on an American who's a perfectly legal consumer? Or is this the same mindset that declares that it is perfectly legal for a woman to rent her body out by the hour but illegal for someone to pay the fee?

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:57 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    True. There's a double standard here. Mugabe has exceeded his "bag limit" of homo sapiens but Lord, hands off the lion. Yes, and some still stick spears into the shoulders of bulls, force horses to jump over dangerous hurdles, and run down the fox till it dies of a heart attack. All in the name of sport. So why pick on an American who's a perfectly legal consumer? Or is this the same mindset that declares that it is perfectly legal for a woman to rent her body out by the hour but illegal for someone to pay the fee?
    It's a sick species that kills for entertainment. Have we really become so jaded? You bet we have!!
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast