+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Kingdom of Heaven is within"

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:37 PM

Re: "The Kingdom of Heaven is within"

Ahso starts a religious thread??????????

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post

I know, will wonders never cease.

My take on it is that the verse should be interpreted as Jesus meaning that he was the embodiedment of the Kingdom, and he was " In their Mist." Simply meaning he was among them.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Defining Consciousness.
    That has been going on for a long time. The Buddha defines consciousness as simply that part of one that is aware of self.
    most humans are barely conscious. They have some awareness of their surroundings and of how they are affected by them.

From a more western perspective, I have been reading an interesting book: Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts by Stanislas Dehaene

Clinically, consciousness is simply what we turn our attention to, it seems. Not really unlike the Buddhists' definition, really.

But how far does that take us? Are we all simply squirming little animals with some awareness of our surroundings, or do we have something more to offer the universe as a whole?
    Let's go with whatever you intended consciousness to mean in your previous post when you typed "[c]an the Universe contain consciousness?"

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The Jesus of the Gospels is above all a magician, he's red the spell-book and worked out how to force God to do what has been promised - the End of the World.

God, in the Old Testament, has stood back and let the world go to rack and ruin since the exile in Babylon, having left warnings in the books of the Major Prophets and Psalms and Daniel of what would happen. You just wait and see, says God, when a chap arrives who does this and this and this then it's game over, I'm coming down and it won't be a pretty sight.

So Jesus walks the minefield, knowing that if he can keep each foot off the booby-traps he can get to the far side as the acknowledged Son of God with as many power-lasers and archangels at his command as any crazed magician could ever hope for.

That's what The End Times were about. That's what all the early followers were waiting to see in their lifetimes, being vengeful sods.

It's also why all these lunatic born-again fundamentalist Neo-Cons are getting the world's armed forces centred as close to Megiddo as they can get. It's a place near the Golan Heights, the Greeks called the area Armageddon. The magicians are still trying as best they can to bring on Divine Intervention, believing they're fulfilling God's Plan.
    That almost makes it appear as if Jesus might have actually existed. I never thought of it that way.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I know, will wonders never cease.

My take on it is that the verse should be interpreted as Jesus meaning that he was the embodiedment of the Kingdom, and he was " In their Mist." Simply meaning he was among them.
    You reject spot's analysis of the meaning behind what is said to have been said?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    It isn't a religious thread as much as the thread is meant to open dialogue about what the meaning of God is within. People claiming to be inside and outside religious cults or circles use it. I doubt there's much real consensus on it, as the thread has begun to demonstrate, though it's a very small sampling. This is not the only bunch I've had similar discussions with however.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    06:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    That almost makes it appear as if Jesus might have actually existed.
    Just so long as you don't think Wise Men from the East came bearing gifts to the same chap. There's several Jesuses in the Gospels, and I bet quite a few of them weren't called Jesus until the Gospel writers went to work on them. If anyone gets round to conflating me in times to come, goodness knows who else I'll have been that ends up being labelled spot.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

It's a username I've avoided using in other venues, as good a username as spot is.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Which I'm certain you're quite happy to learn.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:37 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Let's go with whatever you intended consciousness to mean in your previous post when you typed "[c]an the Universe contain consciousness?"
    I lean towards the Buddhist idea, myself. So then the question, is it possible that the Universe can be self-aware? Could we even conceive of what that would mean?
    And the other part of that, is there such a thing as collective consciousness?
    Some people seem to think so.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast