+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Gun control

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    09:23 PM

Re: Gun control

I'm sure it's one of the areas actually available for inspection. CDC for the reasons for death. The use of "illegal" is a combination of either convicted of murder or died in a shootout with the officers of the law, and it's around 3 a day.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

All suicides

Number of deaths: 41,149
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.0
    Cause of death rank: 10

Firearm suicides

Number of deaths: 21,175
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7

Suffocation suicides

Number of deaths: 10,062
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.2

Poisoning suicides

Number of deaths: 6,637
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

FastStats - Suicide and Self-Inflicted Injury

from googling cdc statistics death rate suicide firearm

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

As for the murder by firearm US figure, no, I've misremembered something I saw. The actual annual figure is currently nearer 7,000 than 1,000, which is 20 a day, not 3. I can't find the news story that had 1,000 in it, but it has to have been about a different matter.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...10shrtbl08.xls

I would still maintain that, while every death is a tragedy for a group of people and I have no desire to minimize that, the problem for society at large is trivial by comparison with major issues. Changing a country's ethos to try to mitigate it, while leaving bigger problems untouched, is not the way forward. Tackle the big problems first. Gun control is a big distraction with minor benefits even if it happened.

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    That's close to the same number as died driving. They're deaths too. Most are accidental or suicide.

Of those "280,024 domestic gun deaths" - I wonder what "domestic" means in this context? - around 10,000 are illegal killings. Of the remaining 96%, most are accidental or suicide.

By about 20 years from now a lot of cars are going to drive themselves and the accidental total of driving deaths will drop to - let me guess - less than a tenth. Most of the remainder will be people refusing to give up driving despite the extra risk.

I wonder whether we could do that with guns too. Allow them to decide when to fire, instead of leaving it up to their owner. They'd need a similar amount of computing power as the car, which might add a few grams inside the handle. They'd need sensors to recognize body heat and detect other weapons, they'd need communications to discover whether the other guns in range had a hostile intention or capability. And they'd fire without command to protect their owner and his recognized compadres. People would soon stop carrying concealed manual weaponry if all the intelligent guns could detect them and consider them potentially hostile.

We may have a glimmer of an answer here.
    Spot has lost it.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

All suicides

Number of deaths: 41,149
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.0
    Cause of death rank: 10

Firearm suicides

Number of deaths: 21,175
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7

Suffocation suicides

Number of deaths: 10,062
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.2

Poisoning suicides

Number of deaths: 6,637
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

FastStats - Suicide and Self-Inflicted Injury

from googling cdc statistics death rate suicide firearm
    Odd, that totals to twenty five per hundred thousand whilst the WHO and others reports a figure of half that :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_suicide_rate

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Odd, that totals to twenty five per hundred thousand
    No no - the first 13 is the figure, the other three add to 12, they're the primary subtotals and there's 1 left over for others - like jumping off bridges or under trains.

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

No no - the first 13 is the figure, the other three add to 12, they're the primary subtotals and there's 1 left over for others - like jumping off bridges or under trains.
    Doh!

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Spot has lost it.
    I have a suspicion you're unaware the US military is trying out area interdiction weapons which can take themselves to a place, with instructions to watch who approaches within a particular distance and to kill those who don't match the pattern of "friend". These autonomous weapons are pretty close to what I described, and they're already developed.

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I have a suspicion you're unaware the US military is trying out area interdiction weapons which can take themselves to a place, with instructions to watch who approaches within a particular distance and to kill those who don't match the pattern of "friend". These autonomous weapons are pretty close to what I described, and they're already developed.
    Nothing about mankind's advances toward killing their fellow man would surprise me, we are talking of a country that gave us napalm, cluster bombs,agent orange,drones,and the only country to use the atomic bomb.....so far.
    Cut it any way you like.......but............the percentage of people that die by the gun in the USA is almost entirely down to the availability of guns and the culture that sustains that situation.
    Whether the deaths are accidental, self inflicted,legal by officers of the law, or not is by the by.............death is death and very final........irreversible.
    If the police/householder/suicidal teen/inquisitive toddler/disillusioned individual/angry ex-employee-husband-wife, in fact anybody with issues that might be solved by pulling a trigger can lay hands on a gun so easily it will continue.
    "Guns don't kill...........people do" and other smart ass slogans are part of that culture, if everybody believes everybody else 'might' have a gun and 'might' use it, shooting them dead before they shoot you is not only acceptable, it is a way of life.
    That unfortunately is the present culture in a nutshell without the excuses or justification, many might want that to change.......but rock and a hard place come to mind.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4