+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Classical Music Fans Here ?

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    09:10 PM

Any Classical Music Fans Here ?

As a professional classical musician , I would like to know if there are any people here who love classical music , and who their favorite composers and performers are so we could start some discussion about classical music here . Please let me know . Thanks !

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:10 AM

Re: Any Classical Music Fans Here ?

Quote Originally Posted by superhorn View Post
    As a professional classical musician , I would like to know if there are any people here who love classical music , and who their favorite composers and performers are so we could start some discussion about classical music here . Please let me know . Thanks !

I've always listened to classical music but I must admit it's not my first port of call.

I think I was much influenced as a child (as, I'd guess, were many of my generation) by the music in Fantasia :-)

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

I've always "Classical Music" far too ambiguous a genre. For instance - how can you compare the 1812 Overture with the Canon in D? As in the Operetta, Waltzes From Vienna demonstrated, Johann Strauss (Jnr) was considered a Radical for writing in 3/4 (Waltz) time as opposed to the traditional 4/4. What distinguishes Classic Rock from other Rock? Come to that, what distinguishes Classic Rock with Classical Music?

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    08:10 PM

I like classical music.

Off hand

Litz, Hadel, Haydn.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:10 PM

I LOVE Classical Music.
    Preferably, the 17th and 18th, and early 19th Century.

Favorite composers, Albinoni, Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Haydn, too many to name. My interests are primarily from the Baroque, Classical and early Romantic periods.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:10 PM

I like religious songs side by side folk songs as well.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Mackey View Post
    I like religious songs side by side folk songs as well.
    What is the folk music like in Bangladesh? I'm heavily into British folk music and familiar with eastern european folk music but I've never heard music from the sub-continent.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:10 PM

I, too, LOVE Classical Music. Different composers to suit my changing moods. In my music room I have a large drawer full of cassettes and some albums which I will copy to CD's on my Crosley, to preserve them. Think I'll go listen to some Mozart now . . . no Bizet . . . no . . .

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

My musical tastes range from Beethoven to good old rock-n-roll and all that is between!
    I play the guitar (well I was in a harmony/dance trio many years ago - I can just about remember ! ) although I only play once in a while now. Like Lars, I enjoy Albinoni - he wrote some wonderful guitar pieces. I enjoy Beethoven, a bit of Bach, Chopin, well in fact most of the classics, particularly where there is a melody to die for running through the music.

When I was in my late teens, by older brother had done a thesis at the university for his PhD and I couldn't understand a word of it - it was about metallurgy and involved molibdenum, tungsten and tantalum, I think ! As I had finished college and was a touch typist and was working for the Land Registry at the time, he asked if I would type his thesis out for him ( would save a lot of money ). We had one of those portable Dansette record players where you could load it up with around 8 - 10 LPs and enjoy around 2 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music. I was in the next room to our sitting room where my mother and father had the TV on and they would have to go through the room that I was in, typing, to get to the kitchen to get refreshments, so I needed non-vocal music to disguise extraneous noises. I wanted to type my brother's thesis without making any mistakes so I had to concentrate. I think I must have played all mine and my mother's records several times over during the 6 or 7 evenings that it took me to complete the thesis !

My brother was thrilled with the effort, he drew all the diagrams in the spaces that I had been instructed to leave, and took it for some people to check to see if it needed re-typing. He was extremely chuffed because he could send the whole lot off for copying and binding - I believe he had around 20 finished copies so he could send them to prospective employers. He told me that it was unheard of for a thesis to not be re-typed because of typing errors of one sort or another. Apparently that fact alone saved him an awful lot of money ! That really made my day, and even made me feel that if I never typed anything else, it was worth all the effort to learn how to touch type just for my brother's thesis ! I doubt that I could have done it in the time without the help of classical music playing in the background !

By the way, I could never go to a concert where there was a piano concerto involved, because I would fall asleep in a very short time !!! When I was a child, my mum was practicing on the piano in readiness for taking her London Royal Academy of Music examination to gain a teaching certificate. My grandmother came to stay for a few months and occupied my bedroom, so I had to sleep on the put-you-up in the sitting room where the piano was. I became so used to falling asleep to piano music! Actually, I have even fallen asleep watching a concert on TV !

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:10 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    I recently made a playlist of what I consider the "Coolest Classical Music" I've ever heard:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 3.58.01 PM.png
Views:	118
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	41744  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast