+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snow in New York

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    03:54 AM

Snow in New York

I see the snow did appear, like the warnings said.

I'm sure there was a film about it a few years back with a Statue of Liberty up to her neck in ice. It was an awful film.

eta: though I have found a magnificent review of it...
    The characters in the movie would have to be massively
    deepened to be called shallow. The major conflict is
    that of the Quaid character, who has missed much of his
    son's upbringing owing to his penchant for jumping crevasses
    on remote ice shelves. His wife's anger at this I rate at
    137 MilliPeeves, where one Peeve equals the feeling you get
    when the coffee shop runs out of your favourite creamer, and
    you have to use your second favourite. This is understated
    acting.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...M/X3djr3oVUm4J
    The entire review deserves to be red.

"This movie is to climate science as Frankenstein is to heart transplant surgery".
    Last edited by spot; 01-25-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    10:54 PM

Re: Snow in New York

Yeah, it's more than the warnings said. 6pm, still going strong after starting about 21 hours ago, with another 13 hours predicted. The bad thing is the wind, can knock you right over. I was out for a bit because my son taunted me "You'll be sorry if you don't!" It was hard, took me half hour to walk completely around block. Am used to cold & lotsa snow from living in Wisconsin & New Hampshire. Could have stayed out longer, but couldn't answer my own question of "Why?"

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    09:54 PM

Ranked #1 snowfall in DC/Baltimore. Drifts were about 6' or more, had to shovel side of house 3 times to keep the heat. But no school today.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I see the snow did appear, like the warnings said.

I'm sure there was a film about it a few years back with a Statue of Liberty up to her neck in ice. It was an awful film.
    Yeah, "The Day After" That film was only worth watching for the special effects. I particulary laughed when Quaid, after braving the storm and ridiculously getting his buddy killed, finds his son at the same exact minute helicopters arrive to evacuate everyone. Duh.

We've ben getting tons of moisture here in New Mexico as well. It's snowed six times and we had our first double snow day in a half century this year. Thanks for everything El Nino. These are the San Juan mountains just thirty miles to the north of my house.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

I fear "unbelievable" is not a term of commendation.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

My cousin in Maryland has posted pictures of their neighborhood. a rather large complex of town houses, with common parking areas buried under 4 feet of snow. the snow plows have nowhere to even begin moving all of the snow. it could take days for them to be able to get out to the street.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Yeah, "The Day After" That film was only worth watching for the special effects. I particulary laughed when Quaid, after braving the storm and ridiculously getting his buddy killed, finds his son at the same exact minute helicopters arrive to evacuate everyone. Duh.

We've ben getting tons of moisture here in New Mexico as well. It's snowed six times and we had our first double snow day in a half century this year. Thanks for everything El Nino. These are the San Juan mountains just thirty miles to the north of my house.

Heck. I've seen the San Juan Mountains look just about like that in June, even. one of my grandkids lives just about thirty miles the other side of them from you.

You guys ought to meet in the middle, some day.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    06:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    My cousin in Maryland has posted pictures of their neighborhood. a rather large complex of town houses, with common parking areas buried under 4 feet of snow. the snow plows have nowhere to even begin moving all of the snow. it could take days for them to be able to get out to the street.
    Same thing from my niece in a suburb of Baltimore. Her street, in a neighborhood of large homes, is under 4 feet of snow, which they have to work their way over to get to a larger street which has been plowed.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    09:54 PM

The snow is still melting here in Baltimore, schools still closed. But I think enough will melt away we can return tomorrow. Lots of shoveling for days, lots of refreezing ice at night.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    When you think there's all that beach and fresh air round Acapulco, one wonders quite what the relative attraction of snow-laden Baltimore might be. Not that I've seen Acapulco, but it does sound attractive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast