Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are roads safer with no central white lines?

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    12:30 AM

Re: Are roads safer with no central white lines?

In a car I would sit in the middle. I know of a couple of roads that are similar near stirling , almost like then old three lane roads, if you keep to the left people will pass you and if there's someone coming the other way they too are forced to keep left or if an oncoming car does the same thing at the same time you have to pull in. If you don't keep left idiots tailgate you trying to intimidate you to pull over to force you to pull over it's a 60mph road joining a motorway with a lot of hgv's to avoid a few seconds delay people do the stupidest things.

Not saying I'm perfect I reckon evry hundred miles you dive you do something stupid that could result in a shunt if unlucky or another driver isn't paying attention you become a good drever learning from your mistakes.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:30 PM

When I was in Italy, it seemed that few people really paid much attention to the lines, anyway. I don't know about safer, there, but it would probably reduce the distraction for tourists.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    When I was in Italy, it seemed that few people really paid much attention to the lines, anyway. I don't know about safer, there, but it would probably reduce the distraction for tourists.
    I've seen videos of Italy's roads - not what I'd call safe by any means.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

When the roads are wet or covered with drifting snow, the occasional glimpse of the center lines are a lifesaver.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    When the roads are wet or covered with drifting snow, the occasional glimpse of the center lines are a lifesaver.
    True and even more so in fog.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Same in the rain on the bike when faced with the glare of an oncoming car's headlights - it help detract from the 'rabbit' syndrome, when you otherwise feel drawn towards the light. Looking down towards the lane markings help keep you on the right track.

Actually, on a similar theme there's a part of road on my route home which is a real death trap in the rain. There's a set of pedestrian crossing traffic lights, immediately followed by a right angled bend to the right. Fortunately I'm familiar with the road, but when it's raining the Green lights are really bright & the chevrons behind them indicating the sharp bend are totally invisible - until you're on top of them. True, the lines aren't much help there, but it shows how hazardous bright lights can be.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    10:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I understand the meaning behind it, but I think it would only be of any short term benefit as its only benefit at the moment is that people aren't used to it. Once people become accustomed to it, it won't make a damned bit of difference.
    I think that this is the correct response. Or that it will get more dangerous, because it's not clear if you're in your lane if the vehicle is wide.

I recall that when countries change the side of the road that they drive on it is accompanied by a short term drop in crashes, because people are being careful, as they don't know what the hell is going on.

I suspect that this is the same effect here.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    If all the drivers are from the same system, (Left hand, or Right hand drive) then instinct would lead them to dodge in a fashion that is safer. For example, in the UK, when two people meet they will instinctively move to their respective left so as to pass each other with driver's side to the oncoming vehicle, and very quickly adjust speed to attempt safe passage. Likewise, in the US, they would move to their right.
    I found it quite natural when driving in the UK to move to my left to pass oncoming traffic when driving the smaller (unmarked) country roads.
    The problem I encountered was the time we drove into UK with a German rental, so we were "driving on the wrong side of the road" for the car. My instinct was to move to my right, and I had to take great care to resist that impulse a few times.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2