Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Riding a horse on a public road

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:57 PM

Re: Riding a horse on a public road

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    I'm really not sure if a person has more control over a horse they are leading than a person actually riding.
    They don't. I'd far rather stay on top than be where the horse can end up knocking me down or over and stepping on me.

My position is this: No animal is 100% 100% of the time. Here in the Sates we tend to refer to horses as "bomb proof" but no
    matter how much you train an animal, they can always surprise you. I remember not too long ago hearing a story of an
    exceptionally trained animal, ridden around gunshots, crowds, you name it... and lost his mind when a paper plate blew
    across the arena!

The difference between bicycles and horses is of course that the horse weighs much more and has a mind of his own.

Here is a video of me testing out my exceptional boy, Leland:

https://goo.gl/4LXwrO

Edited to add: I say keep horses off/away from roads as much as possible. Bummer but it simply must be.
    Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:57 AM

Apart from anything else it can't bemuch fun. Park near me has signs asking horse riders to stick to the tarmac paths one or two obviously ignore the request and some of the woodland paths have been destroyed (lots of raion soft ground). Pity really they will, end up being banned if they don't showe a bit more consideration but it only takes on or two incconsiderate ones.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Val, what a gorgeous horse ! He does you proud !

I have seen a 'horse whisperer' at work on a documentary film some time ago. Quite fascinating and most enlightening. It was showing the horse as quite a handful for its owner, and how the horse was gradually coaxed into accepting the trainer, which took quite a while. Over time that horse was quite different in it's attitude and behaviour, and I thought how rewarding that sort of ability must be for somebody to calm a horse down with kindness and quiet talking and be able to hand over a perfectly manageable animal to it's owner.

I can remember when I was a teenager, and I went riding regularly, I always carefully took hold of the horse's muzzle in both hands and gently blew into it's nostrils before I got into the saddle. Not sure where I read that, but at the time I thought it was a good idea, after all a horse gently blows at another horse, nose to nose ! One time the stable owner said "You'll be neighing and pawing at the ground next !" He was smiling, so it was OK !

Horse riding is something that I can no longer do, unfortunately, but I fondly remember the wonderful feeling of sitting astride a saddle and walking the horse on along the bridlepath, listening to the gentle squeaking of leather on leather and smiling as I watched the horse's head rhythmically nod in time to it's foot-falls, its long main also flowing in time to the steps he was taking. Lovely memories.

I can no longer sit astride a horse, which is a bummer ! My iffy hips won't allow me to even sit astride a motorbike ! I used to love motorcycling, my hubby and I had one each when we were first married ! I remember him buying a 500 cc Triumph and I had a go on it, but I couldn't get up to the ton - even though I was lying low over the petrol tank, I was still being blown back along the seat and onto the pillion and I realised that if I didn't slow up I'd be blown off the back of the bike ! I remember being quite angry about that, as I knew the bike was well capable of doing over 100 mph with ease, but I was not going to be able to say I'd done a ton !!! I had to ease off at 95 mph as it was getting a bit hairy !!!
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Val, I have never seen a horse that well-trained. Leland is a wonder!

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Leland is absolutely gorgeous ! I could just steal him away and cuddle him to pieces !
    He looks in such fine condition Val, how old is he ?
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Ha-ha Gill, I admit to a bit of the blowing gently in the nostrils from
    time to time, and also don't know where I heard it. (But it was likely
    over 50 years ago!)

Thanks Zap, he is very, very good, I have been so proud of him so
    many times. Like when we were waiting for a parade to start, a float
    nearby had balloons blowing all over and a few of them popped. He
    whipped his head up and LOOKED, but didn't move his feet. He is
    a good boy but yes, even Leland has spooked a couple of times.
    The thing with him is though he trusts his rider (me) and can be
    brought back down in a couple of strides. Not bolting to the next
    county like some do.

He is 11 sometime this spring Gill. This video was taken a couple of
    springs back, and he was all nicely shed out. He is at an elevation
    where they sometimes get winter snow, so grows a really good winter
    coat and we call him Scruffy Pony. But cute to me either way!
    Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3