Aye, well that's another story

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:42 AM

Re: Genealogy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Oh alas and alack, I'm so tragically misunderstood - Cassandra was no worse
    Yes, well that is the cross that one of superior intellect and prophecy must bear. So pathetic!

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time
    06:42 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Yes, well that is the cross that one of superior intellect and prophecy must bear. So pathetic!
    But Pathos is my middle name don'ca know :-)

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:42 AM

So, an update on my digging.
    The two guys I traced back to England, who I thought were brothers, may not be. Or they may be half-brothers. Seems they share some fairly common names. I have these guys named Samuel and ralph, who at first I may have thought were brothers, but then their dad George, whose father was Ralph seems to have had three different wives, and his dad, Ralph had 2 wives. But then I find that William may have been married to both wives at nearly the same time. And George seems to have married the same woman 3 times, and has three different birthdays. though the year of his death seems consistent.He may have been born in three different villages, as well. And died in either Massachusetts, or Connecticut, or maybe even Rhode Island.

And of course different people seem to have injected a knighthood into the scene.

It seems I need to do a lot more digging to sort this out.
    There must have been a number of Ralphs, and Georges, and women named Anna running about Devon and Dorchester in those days. But then then they all packed up and moved to Massachusetts about the same time. And all seemed to have sons name Thomas and Ralph and Samuel.

I am very confused.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    But Pathos is my middle name don'ca know :-)
    Were you named for one of the Three Musketeers? Arthos . . .uh . . . oh I see . . . . POrthos, never mind.

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Were you named for one of the Three Musketeers? Arthos . . .uh . . . oh I see . . . . POrthos, never mind.
    But they were all for one and one for all and no-one has ever been for me <sob>

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So, an update on my digging.
    The two guys I traced back to England, who I thought were brothers, may not be. Or they may be half-brothers. Seems they share some fairly common names. I have these guys named Samuel and ralph, who at first I may have thought were brothers, but then their dad George, whose father was Ralph seems to have had three different wives, and his dad, Ralph had 2 wives. But then I find that William may have been married to both wives at nearly the same time. And George seems to have married the same woman 3 times, and has three different birthdays. though the year of his death seems consistent.He may have been born in three different villages, as well. And died in either Massachusetts, or Connecticut, or maybe even Rhode Island.

And of course different people seem to have injected a knighthood into the scene.

It seems I need to do a lot more digging to sort this out.
    There must have been a number of Ralphs, and Georges, and women named Anna running about Devon and Dorchester in those days. But then then they all packed up and moved to Massachusetts about the same time. And all seemed to have sons name Thomas and Ralph and Samuel.

I am very confused.
    Well, that is just about the most confusing thing I ever heard of, but it sounds strangely familiar, all that running around, getting married, dying hither, thither or yon. It's probably just as well that they packed up and left before they got kicked out for being strange. Just in case George ended his days (and any of his wives as well) in Massachusetts:

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    07-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I edited and took it out as I decided it wasn't really relevant. The miseltoe and holly come from celtic/ north european tradition the decorating tne tree is a german tradition imported in to the UK both by the hanoverians and by british troops fighting in germany who brought the tradition back with them as well. Winter solstice british troops partying with german allies you can just imagine them all getting pissed together. Since you're german scots irish with bits from all over it seemed relevant and then I thought about it and decided no.
    The tradition of dressing the [Christmas] Tree goes far beyond the Germans. As most Religious festivals it has its origins in Pagan culture.

All about the Christmas tree: Pagan origins, Christian adaptation and secular status

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast