Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hawking joins Plan to send light sail powered craft out to see what's out there.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    08:30 AM

Hawking joins Plan to send light sail powered craft out to see what's out there.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to live for a very long time. I want to see this project come to fruition.
    I want to see what they find.

Stephen Hawking joins futuristic bid to explore outer space | The Seattle Times

From the article:
    "Yuri Milner said the eventual goal is sending hundreds or thousands of tiny spacecraft, each weighing far less than an ounce, to the Alpha Centauri star system. That’s more than 2,000 times as far as any spacecraft has gone so far.

Propelled by energy from a powerful array of Earth-based lasers, the spacecraft would fly at about one-fifth the speed of light. They could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years, where they could make observations and send the results back to Earth."
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    04:30 PM

Re: Hawking joins Plan to send light sail powered craft out to see what's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to live for a very long time. I want to see this project come to fruition.

From the article:
    "Yuri Milner said the eventual goal is sending hundreds or thousands of tiny spacecraft, each weighing far less than an ounce, to the Alpha Centauri star system. That’s more than 2,000 times as far as any spacecraft has gone so far.

Propelled by energy from a powerful array of Earth-based lasers, the spacecraft would fly at about one-fifth the speed of light. They could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years, where they could make observations and send the results back to Earth."
    I was just looking at :-

Hawking backs interstellar travel project - BBC News

Auntie Beeb reckons thirty years but what's the odd decade between friends?

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    10:30 AM

Re: Hawking joins Plan to send light sail powered craft out to see what's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post

From the article:

Interesting concept, I like it.

Now lets see.

They could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years, where they could make observations and send the results back to Earth.
    Twenty years there then we wait another 4.35, , years. for the results.

I am willing to wait to see just how a bottle of a bottle of OLD NO. 7 smooths out. Will cigars be legal then?

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

"Make it so "
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    07:30 AM

Maybe some of that intelligent life that I KNOW is out there will see us taking our baby steps and help us to hurry it along. Or if you believe in reincarnation . . . .

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

I have no idea how they think these things will communicate back. Has anyone a thought on that? Each craft weighs under an ounce. Is a low-power laser channel seriously going to be seen from several light years off?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

I reckon they will send pigeons in space suits back although I would imagine it would be rather difficult to affix a written note on the bird's leg. Who would be around to write the message anyway ? It just won't happen will it !?
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    08:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I have no idea how they think these things will communicate back. Has anyone a thought on that? Each craft weighs under an ounce. Is a low-power laser channel seriously going to be seen from several light years off?
    They'll just have to find a phone booth, or something.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

I am more concerned how somebody/anybody can find a spare $100 million to put into such a project, there must be more pressing earthly *cough* challenges
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I am more concerned how somebody/anybody can find a spare $100 million to put into such a project, there must be more pressing earthly *cough* challenges
    Compare it to our military budget and it's loose change.

We waste more money each year on blocked beds in the NHS.

We give many times that to the world's fifth largest economy in aid.

There are many other places to get the money for our earthly challenges.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast