+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Car/Bus

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    04:18 AM

Sleeper Car/Bus

This is an idea that I could get behind.

The Sleeper Car Is Back, And This Time It's on a Bus
    There a lot of times when I travel for work that I could take advantage of such a mode of travel.

Denver to Omaha, or KC, or Dallas, Minneapolis, Even Chicago, perhaps. Get a good night sleep, pick up a rental car and head to the customer site. Then another good night sleep on the way home.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:18 PM

Re: Sleeper Car/Bus

Why not train Car Transporters like the Channel tunnel shuttle over here ?
    I believe there were car transporters running from London to Scotland a few years ago, never understand why they stopped.
    It has to be better to drive your own car than have to arrange hire with the expense involved.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    03:18 AM

In the US, they only use car transporters on trains from NY to Florida at the start of winter and in the opposite direction at the end of winter. At one time there were more routes and options available.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    In the US, they only use car transporters on trains from NY to Florida at the start of winter and in the opposite direction at the end of winter. At one time there were more routes and options available.
    We live on a longer than it is wide island, I reckon a central main route up the spine of the country handling cargo and drive on drive off car transporters would cut congestion and pollution and work a hell of a lot better than the present road network.
    Taking much of the distance travel off the main roads onto railway lines, freeing up local traffic routes.
    Strategically placed rail freight depots could than distribute locally.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

It's actually from Lorton, Virginia, to Sanford, Florida.
    Did that one year when we were going up to New York.
    Once the novelty wears off, it is not all that interesting.
    A bit of a pain to get loaded, and unloaded.
    But then, driving I-95 through the Carolinas and southern Virginia is no longer at all a pleasant drive.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    But then, driving I-95 through the Carolinas and southern Virginia is no longer at all a pleasant drive.
    I don't find many Interstate highways to be a pleasant drive. I much prefer the back roads.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

I don't find many Interstate highways to be a pleasant drive. I much prefer the back roads.
    I agree. There are some great back road drives, and when you have plenty of time on your hands, they are wonderful. When we lived back East, I had a nice route for getting from South Florida to New York. Problem was it took an extra day or so to make the trip. There were times when I had to make the trip quickly, though, and Interstate is the only way to do it.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

I agree. There are some great back road drives, and when you have plenty of time on your hands, they are wonderful. When we lived back East, I had a nice route for getting from South Florida to New York. Problem was it took an extra day or so to make the trip. There were times when I had to make the trip quickly, though, and Interstate is the only way to do it.
    These days, I just prefer to take the extra time and enjoy the trip.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

These days, I just prefer to take the extra time and enjoy the trip.
    I do, as well, whenever that is an option.

Have you ever tried driving across Pennsylvania without using the Turnpike/Interstate?
    We drove from Provincetown, Mass to Cleveland, OH on US 6 once. Took 3 days to make the trip. It was great.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I do, as well, whenever that is an option.

Have you ever tried driving across Pennsylvania without using the Turnpike/Interstate?
    We drove from Provincetown, Mass to Cleveland, OH on US 6 once. Took 3 days to make the trip. It was great.
    US 6 is great fun! I got curious one day, when I saw it in the eastern Sierra in California, so I Goggled it. Just for fun, I loaded up the gear and set out from Bishop, California heading eastward (more or less). It took a couple of weeks to get to Provincetown, but I wasn't in a hurry and dawdled along the way in some of the smaller towns and forests. Just for fun, I plan to do the Lincoln Highway sometime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast