+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    08:56 AM

Re: Memorial Day

I covered a service earlier today and the speaker actually mentioned those who volunteered and those that hadn't but still gave their lives.
    Veterans appear to attend to show respect for those that had gone before and civilians pretty much walked around thanking those that are still alive for their service
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    07:56 AM

Yesterday, I had three people wish me a happy Veterans' Day.

In Boulder, last night, they held what amounted to a Pep Rally for Veterans, which ended with fireworks.
    We stayed home.

I believe that certain holidays should remain close to their original intent. Memorial Day should be about those who gave their lives in military service. To simply honor that specific sacrifice.
    Yes, there are other people who gave their lives as firefighters, police, Road Construction workers, etc., etc. But this was meant for those who willfully walked into harm's way to defend their nation and their family. I think that every nation owes a debt to their citizens who made that sacrifice, and they deserve that distinctive respect.

We can have other days to remember those other people.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

. . . a future in which Hiroshima and Nagasaki are known not as the dawn of atomic warfare but as the start of our own moral awakening.
    Text of President Obama’s Speech in Hiroshima, Japan

No doubt he is really proud of that little bit of pseudo-wisdom.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Yesterday, I had three people wish me a happy Veterans' Day.

In Boulder, last night, they held what amounted to a Pep Rally for Veterans, which ended with fireworks.
    We stayed home.

I believe that certain holidays should remain close to their original intent. Memorial Day should be about those who gave their lives in military service. To simply honor that specific sacrifice.
    Yes, there are other people who gave their lives as firefighters, police, Road Construction workers, etc., etc. But this was meant for those who willfully walked into harm's way to defend their nation and their family. I think that every nation owes a debt to their citizens who made that sacrifice, and they deserve that distinctive respect.

Here here.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:56 PM

We don't have a memorial day in the UK - at least not one I have ever heard of. We do have remembrence day on the 11th of november or remembrance sunday on the sunday closest to it. Most nations on the planet have a similar remembrance day on or about that time of year especially those that were involved in ww1.

It started post ww1 not as a glorification of war but to remember those who had fallen and the sheer utter futility and folly of war early attempts to make it a jingoistic event fizzled away in the face of public hostility to that although recently those on the right have tried to make it a patriotic occasion with poppy fascists making their presence known but it's not how most people see it in my experience.

The US civilian population was a bit more detached than in europe, asia and the middle east from the two world wars. Millions of civilians were killed so it's not just simply remembrance of the soldiers who were killed in far away battlefields especially in europe you have a slightly different perspective when your home was blown to bits and foreign troops occupied your village - many french villages have memorials to those in the maquis killed by the nazis. In france and germany, italy austria most places have a cenotaph just change the language and it could be anywhere in the UK in some places it's clear most of the young male poulation didn't come back from war.

The whole point was to remember not to glorify war or turn it in to a glorification of patriotism or the military.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

One aspect of the UK's version of Memorial Day (which we still call Armistice Day and hold, as gmc says, on November 11th) is that we restrict who may pay their respects at the national shrine. We have never, to the best of my knowledge, allowed any representative of the German or Japanese governments to participate.

A German did once unilaterally lay a wreath at the Cenotaph. Here's a news report of how it was treated:
    The incident occurred after Dr. Rosenberg placed a wreath on Wednesday at the base of the Cenotaph.

Early yesterday morning an unknown person cut away from it the silk swastika decoration, and a little later the wreath was taken away in a car, and, it is understood, thrown into the Thames.

As a sequel an ex-officer, Captain Sears, who removed the wreath, was fined £2 for wilful damage to the wreath. The defendant said that his action was a "deliberate national protest," since Herr Hitler's Government was fostering a feeling "which many of our fellows lost their lives in fighting." The Magistrate said he was not concerned with defendant's private opinions and his action was ill-mannered and improper.

13 May 1933 - THE CENOTAPH EPISODE - Trove
    We don't make magistrates like that these days, more's the pity, but we definitely hanged Dr Rosenberg at the first available opportunity thirteen years later. No official from the German consulate has since tried to repeat the gesture.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    One aspect of the UK's version of Memorial Day (which we still call Armistice Day and hold, as gmc says, on November 11th)
    Actually, we observe Veterans Day

Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who died while in military service.[1].

Congress amended the bill on June 1, 1954, replacing "Armistice" with "Veterans," and it has been known as Veterans Day since.[5][6][/url]

As a kid growing up I knew people referred to Arminianist day.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Thank you tude. It's a British English thing. Armistice is a word referencing November 11th to you and to me. To the US it morphed into Veterans Day relating to all service personnel. To the British it became our National Remembrance Day to honor the British and Commonwealth Dead. Our Armistice Day equates to your Memorial Day, not to your Veterans Day. We have a War Memorial in every town and city, and a Remembrance Parade at every War Memorial, either on Armistice Day itself or (calling it Remembrance Sunday) the Sunday before or, quite often, on both, Remembrance Sunday being more church-and-civilian-oriented and Armistice Day more uniforms and salutes.

We don't have a Veterans Day or anything like it in our calendar. We do have a poem which describes the English attitude to our servicemen though. Most people here recognize the truth of it.

Poems - Tommy
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

I think that this sums up the sentiment better than mere words can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkhBvO8_kM

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post

So, people such as Firefighters & Lifeboatmen don't willfully walk into harm's way, whereas conscripts, who were made to do so, under the threat of execution if they refused to obey, did? I find that most disrespectful to those who chose to risk their lives in all walks of life - particularly when knowing the potential risks. What about the ARPs & the Firefighters during the Blitz, putting their lives on the line, out in the open with bombs dropping around them. These were Civilians knowingly putting their lives in peril for the public good. Quite possibly "Conchies". Far from being cowards they were probably far braver than those who were conscripted for not only risking their lives, but facing the social derision of their own people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast