+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: When young offenders go wrong

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:08 PM

When young offenders go wrong

Food for discussion: why on earth should society release this chap back into the community until he's past retirement age. I don't understand why there is a term set to any sentencing, I would be grateful if someone could explain why it's standard practice. Why do we jail people, and why do we release people?

2011:

A TEENAGER who burgled six Bristol schools to fund his cocaine habit has been jailed for 16 months.

Nicholas Mann is the third of a trio of teenagers who worked together to target computer equipment in schools across South Bristol during January and February.

Mann, 19, of no fixed address, was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court yesterday to 16 months in a young offenders' institution after pleading guilty to a burglary at Cotham School and having 13 other burglaries taken into consideration.

The court heard Mann smashed a pane of glass to get into the school on February 15 and accessed an office with £1,950 of computer equipment – weeks after being released from a young offenders' institute. He was charged after police caught him with the school's camcorder the following day in Knowle West. Of the matters taken into consideration, six were school burglaries including Brislington Enterprise College and Merchants' Academy.

Prosecuting, David Hunter said Mann had also admitted taking a car and handling stolen goods. Mann had a string of previous convictions for theft and burglary and had spent several stints in young offenders' institutions.

A TEENAGER who burgled six Bristol schools to fund his cocaine habit has been jailed for 16 months. | Bristol Post

2016:

A man has been charged over a number of cash machine attacks and explosions in Bristol and Somerset.

Nicholas Stephen Mann, 24, of Hop Store, Kingsdown, Bristol, has been charged with conspiracy to steal between 29 September and 8 May.

He has also been charged with assault by beating and assault with intent to resist arrest. Seven machines have been attacked since the start of the year.

Man accused over Bristol and North Somerset ATM blasts - BBC News

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Re: When young offenders go wrong

The better question is how did he enter prison an addict and come out an addict ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:08 PM

Why do we jail people, and why do we release people?
    Depending on who you ask there are several answers to that question.

For example punishment, deterrent, rehabilitation or simply to remove them as a threat to society.

I would hope that nobody who is a threat to society is released.

To me there are a few crimes should the person never be let go, matter what. So to my way of thinking it is just how long to incarcerate someone for punishment sake.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    The better question is how did he enter prison an addict and come out an addict ?
    Drugs are easy to get in prison, it seems.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Drugs are easy to get in prison, it seems.
    Exactly, but how and why ? They are in a supposedly secure establishment after all.
    And why no plans to sort out the prisoners who's crimes are directly linked to drug addiction ?
    Doesn't make sense to me.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    To me there are a few crimes should the person never be let go, matter what. So to my way of thinking it is just how long to incarcerate someone for punishment sake.
    Who benefits from this punishment?

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    05:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Who benefits from this punishment?
    The survivors of the victims. It's aka revenge.

eta--don't make me sorry I'm talking to you spot.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    The survivors of the victims. It's aka revenge.

eta--don't make me sorry I'm talking to you spot.
    I'm listening - how do the survivors of the victims benefit from revenge? I don't understand how. It strikes me that revenge is poison to be avoided at all costs. Many people have testified to this throughout human history, I could find you examples.

If you do actually think that the survivors of the victims benefit from revenge, perhaps you could introduce an authority from any time or place who argues in favor of that position - I'd like to see who you have on side.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    05:08 PM

My mother was killed by the carelessness of another person. It had never occurred to me to seek revenge. The worst thing in the world happened, I lost my mother forever. Prior to that, many people said to me "You seem so Young!" I answered, "I have my mommy." Joking, of course, but not really. Nothing that other person ever suffered could ever bring me back the treasure I lost.

That being said, seeking revenge may not be rational to you, but is for many others. They want a satisfaction of knowing they did their best in place of the one they lost. Depending on the circumstances, naturally, I can't condemn their feelings. That is why, IMO, justice Must be blind. I don't need to link to an authority---we both know it is true. We are the authority.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:08 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm listening - how do the survivors of the victims benefit from revenge? I don't understand how. It strikes me that revenge is poison to be avoided at all costs. Many people have testified to this throughout human history, I could find you examples.

If you do actually think that the survivors of the victims benefit from revenge, perhaps you could introduce an authority from any time or place who argues in favor of that position - I'd like to see who you have on side.
    Authority, shamority.

Vengeance is good.

Justice, always a worthwhile cause.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast