Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Light

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:49 PM

Re: First Light

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post

I'm so proud of spot for keeping busy & staying out of trouble!
    Ever since his Anti Social Behaviour Order, he's been staying in much more and the neighbourhood is much quieter
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Ever since his Anti Social Behaviour Order, he's been staying in much more and the neighbourhood is much quieter
    (chuckle)

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time

It's so far back when I discarded all hope of staying out of trouble that I'd forgotten it was ever an option.

I have, at the moment, absolutely no idea where any planet is or whether it's close, distant or hidden behind the sun. Before the clouds clear and it's dark out I ought to at least find a website or two that can answer these obvious questions.

This woman - Sara - is absolutely brilliant. Narrowband information - Sara Wager Astrophotography

Once you work out the subtle coding in this weather predictor it might say whether there's a clear night coming up, so you can plan ahead.

Here we are - http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essent...saturn-mercury - up to date planet locations and brightnesses.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time

The Google Sky map App on my phone is perfect for showing just about every celestial body in the sky. It uses the phone's accelerometer to map out on the screen, the stars, constellations and planets, as you move the phone around the sky
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time

That's a very useful suggestion, it's years since I last saw Google Sky and it had completely gone out of my head.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time

This is a magnificent paragraph from one of the three books I'm using to understand what to do.
    Galileo discovered the four major moons of Jupiter (forever after called the “Galilean satellites” in his honor); he was the first to see the phases of Venus and the rings of Saturn; he saw nebulae and clusters through a telescope for the first time. In fact, a careful checking of his observations indicates that he even observed, and recorded, the position of Neptune almost 200 years before anyone realized it was a planet. He did all this with a 1" aperture telescope.

Consolmagno, Guy, and Dan M. Davis. Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope-- and How to Find Them. Cambridge University Press, Sixth printing 2011: p.18

There's still been no break in the cloud.

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    This is a magnificent paragraph from one of the three books I'm using to understand what to do.
    Galileo discovered the four major moons of Jupiter (forever after called the “Galilean satellites” in his honor); he was the first to see the phases of Venus and the rings of Saturn; he saw nebulae and clusters through a telescope for the first time. In fact, a careful checking of his observations indicates that he even observed, and recorded, the position of Neptune almost 200 years before anyone realized it was a planet. He did all this with a 1" aperture telescope.

Consolmagno, Guy, and Dan M. Davis. Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope-- and How to Find Them. Cambridge University Press, Sixth printing 2011: p.18

There's still been no break in the cloud.
    I've never quite got my head around that. He found a handful of needles in a field full of haystacks. I just can't find adequate words to describe how wonderful that all is.
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    06-19-2019
    Local Time
    01:49 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    My new back yard is a great place to view the skies. I've been watching Saturn, Mars, and Jupiter slowly march across the sky. I gave my telescope to a grandkid a few years ago, and feeling the temptation to get another.

With my 300 mm Lens on my Nikon, I can just make out a couple of Jupiter's moons. Need to stay up late and try to see Saturn's moons, too, I guess.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2