+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwanted Guests

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    10:12 PM

Unwanted Guests

Please go home, you are not welcome here.
    We have some guests that keep hanging around and were never welcome. They are rarely seen during the day and when we do see them we do our best to ignore and avoid them. We do not speak to them, we do not encourage interaction with them. These guests prefer to disturb us at night when we are asleep. They think nothing of rudely waking us up with their rummaging around. The worst part of all, they stink. Yes they smell bloody awful.
    Over the past couple of years SKUNKS have become braver in our area and are now in our yards camping out and foraging and just generally hanging around.
    I blame our city for this because of the new garbage bin system set up. We have mandatory city issue bins that are picked up by machine and dumped into the waste trucks. However.... plenty of loose and random garbage is left behind when these bins are flung around. Garbage is a skunks favorite and most easily attained meal.
    For those of you who have never experienced a skunk thank you lucky stars. Yes these small stripey critters look cute, and their fur looks so soft and petable. But NO stay away, these guys are masters of deception. 1) they bite, and many carry rabies. 2) they spray, the spray is noxious, it's a heavy cloying oil and there is nothing more fowl than skunk smell. Rotting human flesh, a pig farm, even a chicken farm smells better than the smell of skunk.

We were roused from sleep last night as the smell of skunk spray wafted through our bedroom window.
    We are about ready to set out poison, traps and heavy artillery.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time
    11:12 PM

Re: Unwanted Guests

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    We are about ready to set out poison, traps and heavy artillery.
    Have you tried chemical repellents?

Local Date
    01-21-2020
    Local Time
    05:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aspam View Post
    Have you tried chemical repellents?
    Or ultrasonics? Tat works well with pests like moles.

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

I have read ammonia soaked rages and citrus and dog pee are good repellants
    I don't have a dog but will try the others
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    I have read ammonia soaked rages and citrus and dog pee are good repellants
    I don't have a dog but will try the others
    In the USA we have "county extension agents" who give all sorts of free advice on such matters. You may have a similar setup in Canada, and if so, a simple phone call might help solve your problem.

Local Date
    01-21-2020
    Local Time
    05:12 AM

Skunks are terrified of strawberries, but you should be very cautious.

If you put an open punnet of strawberries in the yard round dusk when birds are starting to sleep and too tired to find it, and leave it out until morning, you'll have no skunks for weeks after. Your skunk has a long memory and a hard-wired ancestral terror of soft fruit.

What you have to be totally sure before you do this is that there's no indigenous population of rattlesnake or cottontail close enough to smell the strawberries, nothing attracts your venomous snake like the smell of strawberries. Which is odd because they don't actually eat them. They lie in hiding until a genuine strawberry predator - a bear or buffalo or somesuch - shows up and then hiss bite swallow, it's the snake-food time. Being feeble-sighted they're more than likely to mistake you for what they're after when you go to take the strawberries in at dawn, especially if you're still wearing your night fur.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Skunks are terrified of strawberries, but you should be very cautious.

If you put an open punnet of strawberries in the yard round dusk when birds are starting to sleep and too tired to find it, and leave it out until morning, you'll have no skunks for weeks after. Your skunk has a long memory and a hard-wired ancestral terror of soft fruit.

What you have to be totally sure before you do this is that there's no indigenous population of rattlesnake or cottontail close enough to smell the strawberries, nothing attracts your venomous snake like the smell of strawberries. Which is odd because they don't actually eat them. They lie in hiding until a genuine strawberry predator - a bear or buffalo or somesuch - shows up and then hiss bite swallow, it's the snake-food time. Being feeble-sighted they're more than likely to mistake you for what they're after when you go to take the strawberries in at dawn, especially if you're still wearing your night fur.
    Well, I'd be really interested in seeing a rattlesnake bite and swallow a Bear or a Buffalo. I shall go immediately to the grocer for a pint of strawberries.
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Isn't the skunk family related to the Mink family? Just sayin..

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    Isn't the skunk family related to the Mink family? Just sayin..
    Yup. And Minks are pretty stinky critters, too.
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-20-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    lol spot, you make it sound like I live in the sticks.
    Strawberry's you say how very fascinating, I would like to try but.... we have a fair rabbit population in our area, both Jacks, and small domestic types, I guess we could call them cotton tails.
    Well I am going to try everything honest, I can't stand another summer of ducking for cover when the aroma of skunk hits us.

YZ really, you had to go there didn't you and you brought friends. Crikey.
    ― Mae West

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast