+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've just got me a Dash Cam !

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:14 PM

I've just got me a Dash Cam !

I've seen videos on YouTube concerning the use of dash cams (for the uninitiated - a webcam that is secured by suction on the vehicle windscreen and videos the road ahead). I have been amazed at all the different incidents that dash cams can record, and of course are acceptable in a court of law !

I have thought about obtaining one for our own use, as I could see the potential benefit to us should some other motorist decide to crash into us etc, or other motorists have a 'coming together' in front of us a video record of the incident would clarify where the blame lies !

My son rightly pointed out that it would also record an incident that was, in fact, our fault and so the video evidence could be used against us ! I had a good look at how the camera was fixed to the screen and how it could be easily removed away from prying eyes - should the need ever arise ! But thinking about this, I would say that having a dash cam running while the car is being driven would cause the driver to be a lot more careful and make sure that the driving is of the best quality ! Sort of like being in the Institute of Advanced Drivers and having the badge visible for all to see - makes the IAM member much more considerate and legally aware of their own driving ability, and being an example to other road users.

So having a dashcam working away causes a win - win situation really.

After much deliberation and counting my pennies carefully, I sent away for a dashcam. It arrived by courier the other day, and I have been very impressed with this very clever and easy to use addition to our car. I gave it a test run today and to show the countryside in our immediate locality I have posted it on here.................
    No I haven't cos it don't want to play ball ! I'll have to try to sort this out. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Re: I've just got me a Dash Cam !

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    I've seen videos on YouTube concerning the use of dash cams (for the uninitiated - a webcam that is secured by suction on the vehicle windscreen and videos the road ahead). I have been amazed at all the different incidents that dash cams can record, and of course are acceptable in a court of law !

I have thought about obtaining one for our own use, as I could see the potential benefit to us should some other motorist decide to crash into us etc, or other motorists have a 'coming together' in front of us a video record of the incident would clarify where the blame lies !

My son rightly pointed out that it would also record an incident that was, in fact, our fault and so the video evidence could be used against us ! I had a good look at how the camera was fixed to the screen and how it could be easily removed away from prying eyes - should the need ever arise ! But thinking about this, I would say that having a dash cam running while the car is being driven would cause the driver to be a lot more careful and make sure that the driving is of the best quality ! Sort of like being in the Institute of Advanced Drivers and having the badge visible for all to see - makes the IAM member much more considerate and legally aware of their own driving ability, and being an example to other road users.

So having a dashcam working away causes a win - win situation really.

After much deliberation and counting my pennies carefully, I sent away for a dashcam. It arrived by courier the other day, and I have been very impressed with this very clever and easy to use addition to our car. I gave it a test run today and to show the countryside in our immediate locality I have posted it on here.................
    No I haven't cos it don't want to play ball ! I'll have to try to sort this out. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    At a guess it's the file size. If it's an MP4 file then the site limit is set at 9MB which I guess limits the video to about fifteen seconds.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    I've seen videos on YouTube concerning the use of dash cams
    I have no experience of video-hosting sites but I believe anyone with a free YouTube account can upload any length video there, and then provide a link to it from the forum.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

You could upload your video to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox, etc) & provide a Share link.

I've been wanting one for Kermit, but the price of a decent one can be so prohibitive. Of course, unlike one for the car, they have to be weatherproof enough to withstand all elements. Then, of course, is the matter of security. I know there are the helmet cams available, but I find wind resistance enough of a problem as it is. Anything sticking out on top would increase that, and probably get torn off. I would also have my concerns about how it could affect the viability of the helmet itself. It would have to be a properly mounted one. Then there are the obvious questions about security. Kermit has to be parked out in the open, seeing as I don't have access to a garage or anything like that, and it would make an easy target for a light fingered passer by. Then there's the matter of available memory - how long would a recording last. The size of the memory itself isn't even necessarily an accurate measure of this, as it also relies on the resolution. Cams range in price from about £15 to £1500 - and I certainly can't afford the ones in the £1500 range.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    07:14 AM

what about sadnes ,man ,,,,, come on the beach

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time
    02:14 AM

So we're coming full circle?.. . From complaining about cctv everywhere and losing our right to privacy to carrying our own around with us.

Sad watching the worlds' mindset change.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    04:14 PM

@FourPart.....they record short periods on a loop continually..... I believe. So in the unfortunate event of an accident they will have recorded it, or at least the past few seconds accidents take to happen. And you can get strap on ones or handlebar mounting ones that you remove the camera as you reach your destination.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

Keeping my mouth shut.

Local Date
    01-26-2020
    Local Time

OMG! Theres so many things in bruvs post.

No no ......... its too early! Ill be good.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    04:14 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    OMG! Theres so many things in bruvs post.

No no ......... its too early! Ill be good.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast