Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Koyaanisqatsi

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    06:12 PM

Koyaanisqatsi

I'd like an opinion or two. Is there anything about Koyaanisqatsi which might distress a bright five year old, or is it safe viewing.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    11:12 AM

Re: Koyaanisqatsi

Been a long time since I saw that, but if memory serves, it is not something I would deliberately dump on a 5-year-old.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

I had it in mind that it might be stimulating and at the same time educational but I will happily defer to an alternative view. I thought the music going with the imagery, and the imagery, were potentially exciting.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    10:12 AM

My humble opinion, would be, that it is most educational. As for suitability, i would depend that on how perceptive the child is and capability of understanding what they are seeing.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    10:12 AM

Phillip Glass' composition of Koyaanisquatsi troubles me. I much prefer his The Kiss

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...d&action=click

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    That worked rather well, I thought. Three of us sat and watched it at home from the DVD player and the five year old stayed focused throughout, making occasional interjections and asking a question or two as it progressed.

I would much prefer to have shown him the film in a cinema but that's never been simple. I remember turning up at the National Film Theatre one evening with my elder daughter as a guest when she was six to see Jonathan Miller's Alice in Wonderland and having to talk the management into letting her through the door, they having (unknown to me until then) a policy at the time of no under-eighteens for anything. They no doubt had good reason but it makes educating a child more of an uphill effort than it need be.

Finding a cinema actually screening Koyaanisqatsi provides another hurdle, of course. There's an art cinema opened a couple of miles down the coast this year, I may drop a note into their suggestion box and ask their policy regarding age.

Meanwhile, suggestions of other suitable films to bring to his attention would be welcome.

+ Reply to Thread