+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Religious war

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    04:00 PM

Re: Religious war

Certain ly very interesting. I class myself as a Christian but I do not accept dogma and doctrine. In the process of finishing "Literalism is a Gentile Heresy". Spong shows that the gospels are really Jewish writings and as such need to be interpreted It is interesting to note that literalists loose their literalism when it comes to money.. Neat book.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    07:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    There can be no destination, there is only the journey. In time there will be no more intelligent life and all this will be forgotten, there will be an informational void.

How we reach that point is what counts. Either we do it elegantly or we do it disgracefully. The Christian life is one of the ways of not letting the side down.
    Fair enough. What do you see as the duty of the next generation of followers?

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Let us not forget there are some 22 000 various Christian sects around the world and several of them claim to have the only truth. That also lends itself for folks from the whole spectrum of extremism on both ends of the scale. The fundamentalists are great for judging though even when cautioned not to do so I don't think that means to egnore evil and it should be judged..

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    12:00 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Pure bred-in-the-bone guaranteed baptized Methodist with a state-sponsored certificate in Religious Instruction, undeniably Christian and prone to take exception when told I don't qualify.
    The correct term might be heretic as in

noun

1A person believing in or practising religious heresy.

1.1 A person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted.

and I'm sorry but to me anyone who does not believe JC was the son of god, god or one of the holy trinity is not a christian no matter how much you prattle on about following his teachings. Belief that jesus is the way to salvation is fundamental to being christian and none of the various christian sects would disgaree that jesus is the saviour except for the likes of christian atheist who twist themselves up in knots trying to rationalise it - it's an oxymoron. It's like saying I don't really beleive in god but I feel better if I come out with this crap.

An atheist is simply who is not convinced there is enough evidence to justify the belef in god if you want to follow christian teaching fine but surely you learned enough with your atate sponsored certificate in religious intrsction to know why christian is not somethimng you can call yourself. Or we can agree to disagree amnd just leave it alone since it's a bit pointless.

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Fair enough. What do you see as the duty of the next generation of followers?
    That's an easy one - to annoy the hell out of me and my cohort.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Lol

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Never ending war is waged by the religious on secularism, freedom of thought and the rights of women. all that happens is we are free for a little while then the religious get back in control and all hell breaks loose again. Look at any country where religion plays a major part in political life and you will find a country where freedom and equality take a back burner to bogotry and hatred. nIn ondia, indonesia pakistan, turkey the rekligious are abouit to make life misery for ordinary people.

and ted befoire you stick your oar in I cabn back up my statement.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

gmc I don't totally disagree with you . The only thing I find that I can criticize is the implication that all religion is like that. Bonhofferll lwrote about "Religionless Christianity, , Butler-Bass wrote about Christianity after religion, John A T Robinson wrote "Honest to God" I think it is clear that all religions run both ways to extreme and there are those averazge folks in the middle who practise their religion basicly to themselves and they do a loot of good. It is the extremists who cause the problems/. Yes there has been much hurt caused by all religions but not by all religious. From my reading and studies I understand that Christianity was was not meant to be a religion but in fact a way of life. One doesn't have to wear their Christanity but live it. No preaching, no prosyllatising just live it.

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    gmc I don't totally disagree with you . The only thing I find that I can criticize is the implication that all religion is like that. Bonhofferll lwrote about "Religionless Christianity, , Butler-Bass wrote about Christianity after religion, John A T Robinson wrote "Honest to God" I think it is clear that all religions run both ways to extreme and there are those averazge folks in the middle who practise their religion basicly to themselves and they do a loot of good. It is the extremists who cause the problems/. Yes there has been much hurt caused by all religions but not by all religious. From my reading and studies I understand that Christianity was was not meant to be a religion but in fact a way of life. One doesn't have to wear their Christanity but live it. No preaching, no prosyllatising just live it.
    I'm getting fed up with this ted. Religion and religious are generic terms it's very hard to talk about religion without using generic terms. Obviously not all religious people are died in the wool fundamentalists but generally speaking it is the nature of religion and the religious to want to influence and yes when they can impose their views on society as a whole it those ones that are actively trying to do so that am talking about. Niot all christians or muslims or hindus are fundamenatalist but those that are cause harm way beyond thei numbers and have always done so. For you to say not all are like that is not much of an argument since I am talking about the ones that currently are crating havoc all over the place.

I posted liknks elsewhere to the joint statement by the pope and the patriarch of the greek orthodox church what it boils down to is they want to go back to the good old days when they rul;ed the daily lives of everybody in society believers and noijn believers alike. America is about to wirnes an attack on the rights of women driven by the religious right who belive they know goid's will. In poland there are mass demonstration against the influece of an organisation that believes it is above the law and hoides it';s crimes from the secular authorities. The only war religion is involved in is the one constanly waged on other rleigions and on everyone in society.

You claim not to be a theist or a deist but a christian who has made up his own version. good luck to you but I wasn't referring to your religion or you in particular it really is not a good counter argument and is perhaps completely irrelevant. You're not a christian because you do not accept christ as your saviour that is how miost christians would view you no matter how much you say it is not essential to believe in JC as god to be a christian. You're going to hell keep a place for me next to the fire and we can roast marshmallow together and since I don't believe in hell you can help me get over the shock.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    gmc I don't disagree with a good deal of what you have said. That I'm not a Christian" no offense taken here, is belief of many but not all. The churches with which i'm familiar and that includes evangelicals which I do not hold to and the mainline churches whhich are walking hand in hand with many towards the secular belief. Any way yess the fundies are trying to return to the good old days but the likes of you and med will try to not let that happen. Then there is trump?????? The would have said the same thing about the historical Jesus because indeed he was not a Christtian. H was born a Jew and then some 30 to 34years he died a devout Jew. Jesus was not a Christian.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast