Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    08:46 PM

Re: Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I take exception to people demanding that I be happy. On those infrequent occasions when I approximate happiness it's because I've chosen to, not because I've been instructed to. I disapprove of happiness, it's too often based on uninformed illusion.

As for merry, the OED sums it up in its first entry, " Of an occupation, event, state, or condition: causing pleasure or happiness; pleasing, delightful. Obs." - obsolete. Just so. What business has anyone to be merry in today's world.
    Who demands your happiness ?
    I have chosen to be happy.....................and been extremely unhappy, you don't get the choice.
    If you are happy.....enjoy it.
    If you are unhappy.................keep it to yourself.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    01:46 PM

I take exception to people demanding that I be happy. On those infrequent occasions when I approximate happiness it's because I've chosen to, not because I've been instructed to. I disapprove of happiness, it's too often based on uninformed illusion.

As for merry, the OED sums it up in its first entry, " Of an occupation, event, state, or condition: causing pleasure or happiness; pleasing, delightful. Obs." - obsolete. Just so. What business has anyone to be merry in today's world.
    Well, I can become quite merry after a few pints of Ale.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    I always use Happy Holidays, it's automatic with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Whatever someone wishes me I just thank them and tell them it's mutual.
    Same here.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    11:46 AM

I usually just go with Merry Christmas or wish them whatever they wished me. If it's a little kid, staring at my beard, I often say Ho Ho Ho.

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    07:46 PM

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - both traditional and well meaning. Spot you can be such a misery guts sometimes - Oh well it takes all sorts dunnit. "Happy Holidays" is, I believe, American instigated, although I expect I shall be corrected if I'm wrong.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    "Happy Holidays" is, I believe, American instigated, although I expect I shall be corrected if I'm wrong.
    Christmas was wished as "a happy holiday" at least as far back as 1879 in London where the following introductory paragraph was printed:
    Dear Mr. Editor,

You so very kindly wished all us children a happy holiday, perhaps you would like to hear how and where some of us spent our holidays. I shall feel great pleasure in telling you how I spent mine.

Golden childhood, or the child's own annual of pictures, poetry and music. London, Ward, Lock & Tyler, 1879

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    02:46 PM

Selective pressures dictate these sorts of things. Well, selective pressures dictates everything actually.

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    07:46 PM

Christmas was wished as "a happy holiday" at least as far back as 1879 in London where the following introductory paragraph was printed:
    Dear Mr. Editor,

You so very kindly wished all us children a happy holiday, perhaps you would like to hear how and where some of us spent our holidays. I shall feel great pleasure in telling you how I spent mine.

Golden childhood, or the child's own annual of pictures, poetry and music. London, Ward, Lock & Tyler, 1879

Thanks for the correction Mr. spot !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

I have some relatives who get quite riled up over the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays thing. They think that unless you specify Christmas, you are somehow ignoring the "True Meaning" of the holiday - Whatever that really means. This is, near as I can tell, some sort of Xtian backlash from the '80.
    With them, I have taken to saying "Happy Holidays"
    I am quite prepared to offer a Happy Hannukah to those that I know to be Jewish, when that holiday comes around. I have actually never met anyone who celebrates Kwanzaa, but would be perfectly willing to wish them a happy one, should I meet them.

I am also considering simply saying, "Happy New Year" and leaving the whole religious thing alone.
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I have some relatives who get quite riled up over the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays thing. They think that unless you specify Christmas, you are somehow ignoring the "True Meaning" of the holiday - Whatever that really means. This is, near as I can tell, some sort of Xtian backlash from the '80.
    With them, I have taken to saying "Happy Holidays"
    I am quite prepared to offer a Happy Hannukah to those that I know to be Jewish, when that holiday comes around. I have actually never met anyone who celebrates Kwanzaa, but would be perfectly willing to wish them a happy one, should I meet them.

I am also considering simply saying, "Happy New Year" and leaving the whole religious thing alone.
    Ah, but would that cover our Chinese friends :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast