Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time
    05:29 AM

Re: Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I have some relatives who get quite riled up over the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays thing. They think that unless you specify Christmas, you are somehow ignoring the "True Meaning" of the holiday - Whatever that really means. This is, near as I can tell, some sort of Xtian backlash from the '80.
    With them, I have taken to saying "Happy Holidays"
    I am quite prepared to offer a Happy Hannukah to those that I know to be Jewish, when that holiday comes around. I have actually never met anyone who celebrates Kwanzaa, but would be perfectly willing to wish them a happy one, should I meet them.

I am also considering simply saying, "Happy New Year" and leaving the whole religious thing alone.
    What many people don't get is the saturation factor of a word (there's an actual term for that that perhaps Spot can locate in the annals of his brain). The more saturated and common a word becomes the more it looses it's original meaning and becomes subject to various meaning applied to it.

My opinion is that christians should have left whatever sacred meaning the word had for them and protected it rather than demand everyone speak their preferred vocabulary. Christmas is now more of a secular term meaning giving/shopping/buying/selling. The irony is that what christians complain about is their own doing.

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time
    11:29 AM

Merry christmas. The happy holidays thing is an americanism that if you use here causes confusion and puzzlement. As it is in amrica doesn't mean it's the same elsewhere

As to the "true" meaning of christmas it's origins are in pagan festivities celebrating the end of winter and the start of the days getting longer again also usually round about new year there is a full moon for most of the last two thousand years christians tried to stop people celebrating it most especially the puiritans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...an_New_England

Laugh and the devil gets in don't you know you're not out on the is earth to be happy but to suffer and die so get your reward in heaven.

New year has alway been a bigger party here anyway.

posted by spot
    I take exception to people demanding that I be happy. On those infrequent occasions when I approximate happiness it's because I've chosen to, not because I've been instructed to. I disapprove of happiness, it's too often based on uninformed illusion.

As for merry, the OED sums it up in its first entry, " Of an occupation, event, state, or condition: causing pleasure or happiness; pleasing, delightful. Obs." - obsolete. Just so. What business has anyone to be merry in today's world.
    You're a miserable bugger, most people probably don't mean it anyway

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    What many people don't get is the saturation factor of a word (there's an actual term for that that perhaps Spot can locate in the annals of his brain). The more saturated and common a word becomes the more it looses it's original meaning and becomes subject to various meaning applied to it.

My opinion is that christians should have left whatever sacred meaning the word had for them and protected it rather than demand everyone speak their preferred vocabulary. Christmas is now more of a secular term meaning giving/shopping/buying/selling. The irony is that what christians complain about is their own doing.
    Is genericization an appropriate application for what I posted above?

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time
    04:29 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post

Probably needs some more research, but I do not think that either phrase, "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" originated from any real Christian reference. Well, other that the obvious, that the Church created the Christmas story to adapt the winter festivities most Western tribes had carried from their traditions.

Merry has little if anything to do with any spiritual aspect of the season. American Christians got their panties in a twist in the latter 20th century over the attempt to be more inclusive of other traditions during the holidays.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time

Happy, Merry or whatever, I'll tale it and run with it. Nothing to lose.

Actually, I am always grateful for the gesture.

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time

I find Sylwester slightly more meaningful, or Hogmanay as it's known in the Land of Cakes. New Year's Eve. What I dislike about Christmas Day is seeing anyone, it's a visceral reaction to previous Christmases.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time
    09:29 PM

Im still trying to find out how "santa" got into common language......its always been "father christmas". And merry christmas..... whats this holiday business? Is everyonr going on holiday over the christmas period?......

Im so over it. Christmas in July makes so much more sense.

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Im still trying to find out how "santa" got into common language......its always been "father christmas". And merry christmas..... whats this holiday business? Is everyonr going on holiday over the christmas period?......

Im so over it. Christmas in July makes so much more sense.
    My birthday is July 25th, so I am fine with that!!

As for the topic of the thread; I say Merry Christmas, happy holidays and even have a lovely holiday season.

I prefer the "Merry Christmas" personally, but as for wishing well to someone during a certain time of the year is really the important thing to me.

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time

I prefer ' merry Christmas' just because I grew up with it...has nothing to do with religion. It's just part of the Santa clause , Christmas tree, presents, get togethers that I associate with it....

Local Date
    04-10-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Santa is Spanish for Saint and it's a contraction of Saint Nicholas, I expect. I don't imagine there were many saints I'd have felt comfortable chatting with, had I been there and shared a language, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

The notion that there's a being who appears in every household on one particular night of the year leaving gifts, with or without sleighs or reindeer, is peculiarly unpleasant, reminiscent of
    The rich man in his castle,
    The poor man at his gate,
    God made them high and lowly,
    And ordered their estate.
    If Santa was said to leave the expensive presents in the hovels and the wrapped dung in the palace then the story would have my qualified support but all this evil myth does is to maintain the status quo in line with the Biblical injunction "He that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath" - what we might call low-taxation theology.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast