Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What do you use to get online?

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time
    01:34 AM

Re: What do you use to get online?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Yes, the Kindle browser calls itself experimental and is clearly underdeveloped but I could not survive with just my phone - not enough real estate on the screen.
    yeah, I have a win laptop, but lately have been too mobile and too busy to use the laptop most of the time.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time
    12:34 AM

Re: What do you use to get online?

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Interesting first home PC if it's still running XP but I agree, Linux is my OS of preference. I've been using Ubuntu for many years and recently set up a laptop to run Mint as a demo machine for a friend who want to try it - both are good but I think Mint might be easier for someone new to Linux.
    I got a Dell Optiplex 755 used off Ebay, with XP Pro already installed....probably that special sort of install for business, as I never had to fool with calling M$ to validate/activate. Took it to local PC shop to have them 'sanitize' it of any nasties, but none found. Had them switch out the CD-ROM for a DVD burner, up the RAM to 8GB, and install a mobile rack in the spare 5.25 slot. I'm slowly working on a custom-build, but everything on this one is still working. The inboard video buffers movies a lot, but otherwise this is an okay used PC for $122.

I tried Linux Mint about four months after MX Linux, but was already spoiled. MX Linux is just easier to use, find what is needed, and figure out how to make it work. Linux Mint does connect to the internet 'automagically' (only MX Linux and TAILS so far can claim the same). One would think that would be top priority for any/all Linux distros, but one would be wrong. I tried out around twenty distros, and all require one to fool with 'internet connection'...way to NOT score a M$ expat!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3