+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cups and tablespoons

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM

Cups and tablespoons

I have finally had enough, sufficiently to complain in public.

There is absolutely no meaning whatever in the word cup, tablespoon or teaspoon other than as a translation into a unit of mass or volume. The pint, ounce, litre and gram exist for a very good reason - they're repeatable. I have no cup which is remotely a standard cup. My cutlery varies from one piece to the next.

No recipe using cup, tablespoon or teaspoon is fit for any purpose whatever in my kitchen and any book or person using these arcane medieval units of measure will be barred from entry. I do not use groats, drachms, grains, leagues, fathoms, bushels, minims or scruples either, though they made far more sense than cups, tablespoons or teaspoons did - they were at least consistent.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    03:26 PM

Re: Cups and tablespoons

A cup is simple. Half a pint.
    Unless, of course you are speaking of a coffee cup, as measured by the Mr Coffee machine, in which it is 5 fl oz. So a 12 cup Mr Coffee produces 60 ounces of coffee which is just shy of eight cups.

I don't see the problem.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

It would help if your blasted pint bore any resemblance to the UK pint, of course.

Over here we even mark baby bottles with UK and US fluid ounces, alongside more useful millilitres.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...omaryUnits.jpg

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Wow. It never occurred to me that a Fluid Ounce in the UK was not the same as a Fluid Ounce in the US
    So, my pint is bigger'n your pint. Imagine that.

Ya learn sumpin new every day.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So, my pint is bigger'n your pint. Imagine that.
    Well, no.

The US fluid ounce is bigger than the UK fluid ounce by around 4%, yes. But the UK has 20 fluid ounces to the pint and the US has 16, like ounces in pounds. We use the 5-ounce gill and you have the 4-ounce gill, which is relevant to bar staff.

So the UK pint is, in fact, 1.16 US pints.

Your gallon is 16% smaller than ours too.

All this is part of why I want my recipes in unambiguous precise grams and litres. I can scale grams and litres far more easily too.

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    11:26 PM

Have you caught the Bake Off bug Spot ?
    Who would have thought it ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    05:26 PM

spot always gets more bah humbug around this time of year. Yo entiendo y simpatizo. Pobrecito!!!!!!!!!!!

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time

imperial cup = 8 fluid ounces
    cups, table spoons, and teaspoons are all still used in the USA
    I think in the mid to late 70's Canada ditched Imperial measure and went to metric (this messed many of us up)
    I measure driving distance and speed in metric. KM. We had no choice over time our Odometers on our cars phased out the Mile.
    I still use inches and Feet in shorter distance measure, and our rulers are marked with both and I never really grasped the metric (inches was ingrained into our minds by the time the change happened)
    I use cups and Tea and Tablespoon in cooking See above. I use mostly imperial recipes, so need imperial measuring devices. but like the ruler we have both marks on our cups (not our spoons)

so Ann if you think you are confused......
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    02:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    spot always gets more bah humbug around this time of year. Yo entiendo y simpatizo. Pobrecito!!!!!!!!!!!
    How would that translate to Britspeak Anne?

Local Date
    12-05-2019
    Local Time
    05:26 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    How would that translate to Britspeak Anne?
    Oops, sorry, I've been hanging around so many hispanics lately & I enjoy the realization I remember so much. I said that I understand & sympathize with poor dear spot.

Zap, there are so many different languages spoken around me. I can't tell you how many times I am/was the only English speaker in a group.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast