+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cups and tablespoons

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:30 PM

Re: Cups and tablespoons

Just looked up your profile, Zap----I thought you were American. I see you live in California (lucky, lucky), so you must hear a ton of Spanish, yes?

In my neighborhood, Russian is the most spoken language. Years ago I thought I should learn it, but then I thought "Let them learn English like my grandma!" She never spoke Russian again when she arrived here in the early 1900's, because she was pissed she had to leave because the cossacks were trying to rape, murder & rob her. Thin-skinned, hey? Holding a grudge. I don't like the sound of Russian, but I like Spanish.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    02:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Oops, sorry, I've been hanging around so many hispanics lately & I enjoy the realization I remember so much. I said that I understand & sympathize with poor dear spot.

Zap, there are so many different languages spoken around me. I can't tell you how many times I am/was the only English speaker in a group.
    I hear you talkin' Anne. My town has a 74.6 % Hispanic or Latino population. In my doctor's office there usually isn't another English-speaking patient in there. Some of the stock clerks in Walmart don't speak English and they run when they see me coming. (They don't think, because of my blonde hair, that I speak fluent Spanish.)

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    02:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Just looked up your profile, Zap----I thought you were American. I see you live in California (lucky, lucky), so you must hear a ton of Spanish, yes?

In my neighborhood, Russian is the most spoken language. Years ago I thought I should learn it, but then I thought "Let them learn English like my grandma!" She never spoke Russian again when she arrived here in the early 1900's, because she was pissed she had to leave because the cossacks were trying to rape, murder & rob her. Thin-skinned, hey? Holding a grudge. I don't like the sound of Russian, but I like Spanish.
    I would like to have met your grandma.

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    I would like to have met your grandma.

Very kind of you to say!

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:30 PM

I'm not a speaker of Spanish but the phrases were instantly meaningful. It's surprising how words like those ignore cultural boundaries.

Returning to cups for a moment, I bought a church hall a while back and inherited the mismatched crockery. I just put a random dozen on the scales and the millilitres they can each measure is

I left out a silly cup which holds 509ml as obviously not suitable for measuring a cup of anything.

The average is 175ml, with a standard deviation of 45ml. As a means of measuring for a recipe it doesn't strike me as appropriate.

Lars' half a US pint occupies, in contrast, 284ml. My cup size is a lot less than his.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Have you caught the Bake Off bug Spot ?
    I've been trying to recall why I needed this translation from crockery to volume, it certainly wasn't baking.

Brewing, that was it. Site after site after site of inane Americans putting tablespoons of unsavory ingredients into their wash.
    Last edited by spot; 12-15-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I've been trying to recall why I needed this translation from crockery to volume, it certainly wasn't baking.

Brewing, that was it. Site after site after site of inane Americans putting tablespoons of unsavory ingredients into their wash.
    For your information Google is pretty handy in such circumstances....HERE......sorted.

I suspect the 'active' ingredients are the only critical ones in brewing, any others are flavouring, an extra half a cup either way should be acceptable
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    03:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm not a speaker of Spanish but the phrases were instantly meaningful. It's surprising how words like those ignore cultural boundaries.

Returning to cups for a moment, I bought a church hall a while back and inherited the crockery. I just put a random dozen on the scales and the millilitres they can each measure is

I left out a silly cup which holds 509ml as obviously not suitable for measuring a cup of anything.

The average is 175ml, with a standard deviation of 45ml. As a means of measuring for a recipe it doesn't strike me as appropriate.

Lars' half a US pint occupies, in contrast, 284ml. My cup size is a lot less than his.

Well I have one coffee cup that was given to me after my MD advised me that I should cut back to 1 cup of coffee a day.
    It holds 64 Fluid Ounces (US) - about 1893 ml

This discussion has led me to wonder, though - do you guys have UK Teaspoons, and tablespoons, as well?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    05:30 PM

A couple of hours ago I went into the bathroom where I filled a sink just cup my hands and splash my face with water.

Local Date
    09-23-2019
    Local Time
    08:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    A couple of hours ago I went into the bathroom where I filled a sink just cup my hands and splash my face with water.
    Did you measure the volume first? Im concerned the amount of water used isnt enough to sufficiently cover the surface area of your face. This could have deteimental affects on your hygeine and therefore your health and the health of an entire nation. I suggest you do the physics and chemical investigation in this matter. Your lack of measurement could cause an epidemic, and you wouldnt want to be responsible for that!

Doesnt everyone have measuring cups, jugs, scales and a conversion table in your kitchens!

Local Date
    09-22-2019
    Local Time
    03:30 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Did you measure the volume first? Im concerned the amount of water used isnt enough to sufficiently cover the surface area of your face. This could have deteimental affects on your hygeine and therefore your health and the health of an entire nation. I suggest you do the physics and chemical investigation in this matter. Your lack of measurement could cause an epidemic, and you wouldnt want to be responsible for that!

Doesnt everyone have measuring cups, jugs, scales and a conversion table in your kitchens!
    Don't know about everyone, but I do.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast