Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Particle Drift?

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time
    01:12 PM

Re: Particle Drift?

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    The same might be asked of the elements of a crystal. Why do they gather to form such a mathematically precise shape. Plus, if a sponge (living variety) is put into a liquidiser, it will reform itself into its original shape. Furthermore, if 2 sponges of different colours are liquidised together, they will reform into their own constituent colours. Those particles rejoin to their predetermined positions in the grand order of things, when logic would seem to dictate that they just connect to the first other particle they encounter.
    The crystal is not at all relevant as the precise mechanism for that process is known and understood. The sponge example, however, is new to me.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time
    08:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    What I don't understand is why the exclusive concentration on particles coming from living sources - they would be far outnumbered by inorganic particles.

And, unless some specific mechanism can be shown, why would these particles enter the copy of the original self rather then one of the several billion other selves around?
    Perhaps the particles of one person does affect others. I think the idea is that this is a fairly random process. What happens to one copy might not happen to another. Maybe the information is passed by contact kind of similar to exchanging information with cell phones by touching them together.

Not being a scientist all I would have to offer up is anecdotal, and I know you guys loathe that.

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time
    12:12 PM

I seem to remember hearing that the presence of an alternate universe was suspected of being the reason the stars and galaxies are moving in the way they are - they are being pulled in a particular direction rather than just spreading out equally all over and it is theorised that it is the gravity of an alternate universe that is affecting them.

Not sure I've remembered right, but just chucking it in as possibly relevant.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

I think at this stage it would be helpful to provide a definition of what a universe is. I had understood its boundary to include all that exists.

I do not insist that I'm correct, but I would ask those who regard that definition as wrong to provide their alternative.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

Definition of a universe...wow...ok:

A universe is an area of space which operates under the same laws throughout and creates a something where there had been nothing before. It is a whole in itself and is separated from other universes by a nothingness we know nothing about.

Pretty vague, but the best I can do at present.

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I think at this stage it would be helpful to provide a definition of what a universe is. I had understood its boundary to include all that exists.

I do not insist that I'm correct, but I would ask those who regard that definition as wrong to provide their alternative.
    I do not hold that your definition is wrong but, as I understand it, the popular alternative is :-

The Universe is all that exists "in this plane of existence"

The multiverse hypothesis posits that there are parallel planes of existence each of which holds its own universe.

Whether the extra planes of existence are separated by a forth spatial dimension or whether they are separated by a metaphysical boundary is a matter for conjecture.

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

Haven't the cosmologists gone a few stages further? I thought the planes of existence could be imagined as an infinite series of sheets of fabric hung incredibly close together but not usually touching. However, the sheets ripple and sway in some sort of metaphysical wind and on the rare occasions when neighbouring sheets touch, BIG BANG!

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Haven't the cosmologists gone a few stages further? I thought the planes of existence could be imagined as an infinite series of sheets of fabric hung incredibly close together but not usually touching. However, the sheets ripple and sway in some sort of metaphysical wind and on the rare occasions when neighbouring sheets touch, BIG BANG!
    Well I know that they're talking in terms of eleven spatial dimensions but how those dimensions relate to the ones we know and love I never have managed to get my head round.

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

Chuckle. Wasn't that an incredibly brilliant American whose name I forget who took the various "string" theories and reduced them to an M theory? And no-one knows what the M stands for. My own suspicion is it's a cosmologist joke and the M is anyone going Mmmmmm and thinking about it...

Edit: Something in my head is telling me it was an Edward somebody...

Local Date
    06-27-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Chuckle. Wasn't that an incredibly brilliant American whose name I forget who took the various "string" theories and reduced them to an M theory? And no-one knows what the M stands for. My own suspicion is it's a cosmologist joke and the M is anyone going Mmmmmm and thinking about it...

Edit: Something in my head is telling me it was an Edward somebody...
    Edward Witten but I think the eleven dimensions pre-date that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3