Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: A ?Legal? Problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,448
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

    A ?Legal? Problem

    I find myself in a position where I need to write a new will - the last one is thirty years old and no longer fully appropriate.

    Herein lies the problem, I can easily write a program that expresses exactly what I want (and, indeed, I have it on the screen in front of me). What I can't do is to write it down in a way that satisfies me that it's unambiguous and legally binding.

    Do you think that the probate office would accept the code?

  2. #2
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,191
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    I'm quite certain that it would, yes. Though I still prefer wills with superfluous and olsolete introductions - maybe it could go in as a comment?

    // In the name of God, Amen.
    // I declare this my last will and testament, being of sound mind though weak in body

    etc.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  3. #3
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,745
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    What is UK law on wills? Are trusts recognized? Just curious?

    In the US wills are often used for less valuable property while trusts (living mostly) are used for the higher value items like money, expensive jewelry and the like. The difference is that trusts are passed directly along to the holder without any interference and a will must pass through probate court, which can be costly in both time and monetary value. Wills are also easily contested.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,448
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    What is UK law on wills? Are trusts recognized? Just curious?

    In the US wills are often used for less valuable property while trusts (living mostly) are used for the higher value items like money, expensive jewelry and the like. The difference is that trusts are passed directly along to the holder without any interference and a will must pass through probate court, which can be costly in both time and monetary value. Wills are also easily contested.
    I know you can set up trusts but I honestly know nothing about them - maybe I should investigate.

  5. #5
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,745
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I know you can set up trusts but I honestly know nothing about them - maybe I should investigate.
    Yes, I definitely recommend you do. Attorneys in the US go to great lengths to advise against living trusts because they don't make money off them. And trusts are very simple to do.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,448
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Yes, I definitely recommend you do. Attorneys in the US go to great lengths to advise against living trusts because they don't make money off them. And trusts are very simple to do.
    Thanks for the heads up

  7. #7
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,745
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    I just looked at Legal Zoom's website. They make it seem like trusts are difficult and expensive which just isn't true unless you hire an attorney to set it up of course.

    A living trust is a simple document that you list accounts and property in. Legal Zoom describes that as an expensive process of funding the trust. Just plain poop.

    What one might expect from OJ's former attorney Robert Shapiro.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,442
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I find myself in a position where I need to write a new will - the last one is thirty years old and no longer fully appropriate.

    Herein lies the problem, I can easily write a program that expresses exactly what I want (and, indeed, I have it on the screen in front of me). What I can't do is to write it down in a way that satisfies me that it's unambiguous and legally binding.

    Do you think that the probate office would accept the code?
    They might not and you will need to get lawyers involved at that point anyway so why not get one to write it - the cost is minimal anyway and make sure it's done properly. It's also open to being challenged there are certain catagories you can't write out of your will such as children and wives. You also need to decide who will be your executors and whoi will succeed them if you npredecease them

    Life insurance policies can be written in trust by the companies concerned who will provide the forms and loidge it for you . Good idea keeps them out of your estate and payout is immediate, will trust are only necessary iof you are planning to avoid inheritamnce task

    I can never understand why people don't just ask a lawyer in the first place, the good ones will talk to you without billing you, and prefer to trust sources that might not actually know what they are talking about. Not usimng a lawyer is a damn sight more expensive than using one right from the beginninmg.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,448
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

    Re: A ?Legal? Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    They might not and you will need to get lawyers involved at that point anyway so why not get one to write it - the cost is minimal anyway and make sure it's done properly. It's also open to being challenged there are certain catagories you can't write out of your will such as children and wives. You also need to decide who will be your executors and whoi will succeed them if you npredecease them

    Life insurance policies can be written in trust by the companies concerned who will provide the forms and loidge it for you . Good idea keeps them out of your estate and payout is immediate, will trust are only necessary iof you are planning to avoid inheritamnce task

    I can never understand why people don't just ask a lawyer in the first place, the good ones will talk to you without billing you, and prefer to trust sources that might not actually know what they are talking about. Not usimng a lawyer is a damn sight more expensive than using one right from the beginninmg.
    Your right and we will go to a solicitor in the final instance but I do like to know what I'm asking for and what to expect the result to be.

    In this case it's complicated by having foreign property to consider and fitting in with Greek law etc.

    Will trusts do have other uses than avoiding inheritance tax - they can also be set up to ensure that your half of the estate goes to your children rather than the children of a second wife or to a care home for example.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts